Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Best off road cycle route from Marple to Stockport  (Read 20685 times)

Robert

Re: Best off road cycle route from Marple to Stockport
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 01:04:52 PM »
The Bridge at Chadkirk is to be lifted into place starting about 11am on Wednesday 20th June.  The route via Mill Lane will hopefully become part of National Cycle Network Route 55. It is not ideal in its present form, rough and often wet, however Stockport MBC calls this an aspirational route, it needs all of us to persuade them that it needs to become a reality and suitable for commuting.

Is this bridge open now? And could someone let me know how to get to it from Marple - this makes my journey home to Bredbury virtually car free!

Thanks to those who helped with information here. I'll look forward to the grand opening.

wheels

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
I don't understand that at all I cycle to work each day at the Pryamid on the main roads and it seems to me to be a perfectly pleasent way to get to work. I am more punctual than my colleagues who drive and arrive feeling much better than them. My sickness record is also much better. It also takes me 10 minutes longer to cycle. So why would I not cycle and the way in which we get people cycling is by getting more of us doing it not off road but on the highways.

I worked for 15 yrs in the field of cycling promotions eventually owning my own business working for large company's getting their staff cycling to work and the barriers to cycling are all perceived rather than actual.

I actually fear for the health and well being of you drivers and all the children you would deprive of the freedom that comes with cycling.

A very very sad post Simone

the rover

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:23 PM »
Rover, please don't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

As I have previously posted there are foolish cyclists. There are also foolish pedestrians and drivers.

I'm afraid there are some cyclists who have a Kamikaze attitude to commuting and leisure cycling (eg - wearing dark clothing and not using lamps in bad light). I have been stopped at red lights at the bottom of Dan Bank and also at Seventeen Windows when other cyclists have hurtled through without a thought for other road users, and without giving any indication where they intend to go.

There is a 'Highway Code' for a reason!!

However, I wouldn't have passed Chicken Lady and the bus in the circumstances she mentions - although it appears that both cyclist and pedestrian were at fault on this occasion.

I was taught at school, over 40 yrs ago, not to step out in front of a bus.

I am not saying that all cyclists are bad but I see more bad ones than good ones. I have yet to see a cyclist look behind them before pulling out to overtake a parked car or avoid a grid and these are ones that think they look professional in their silly lyca outfits. My wife was driving along Otterspool Road on Saturday, I was a passenger, and there were 2 men cycling alongside each other chatting away and totally ignoring the fact that nobody could overtake them and a traffic jam was building up behind them so my wife beeped them and we were then subjected to rude fingers and verble abuse. My wife refused to stop the car so that I could get out, probably a good job or I could have been arrested for what I would have done.

rsh

« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »

Is this bridge open now? And could someone let me know how to get to it from Marple - this makes my journey home to Bredbury virtually car free!

Best route is probably Bowden Ln - Dale Rd - Turnpike - Marple Hall Dr, nice and quiet: http://goo.gl/maps/cWyb

Lily

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »
Rover, please don't tar all cyclists with the same brush.

As I have previously posted there are foolish cyclists. There are also foolish pedestrians and drivers.

I'm afraid there are some cyclists who have a Kamikaze attitude to commuting and leisure cycling (eg - wearing dark clothing and not using lamps in bad light). I have been stopped at red lights at the bottom of Dan Bank and also at Seventeen Windows when other cyclists have hurtled through without a thought for other road users, and without giving any indication where they intend to go.

There is a 'Highway Code' for a reason!!

However, I wouldn't have passed Chicken Lady and the bus in the circumstances she mentions - although it appears that both cyclist and pedestrian were at fault on this occasion.

I was taught at school, over 40 yrs ago, not to step out in front of a bus.

the rover

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 05:52:29 PM »
The cyclist that Chicken Lady referred to is probably the one who rides down Church Lane every morning at speed totally ignoring the fact that it is a one way street going in the other direction. I see him every morning whilst out walking the dog, there are a lot of MHS kids walking down Church Lane who are not expexting a dangerous maniac on a bike to come riding at speed behind them. Tomorrow I shall make a note of his clothing etc and try to describe him. I just hope that one day a vehicle will come out of the Texaco and turn up Church Lane and that will be the end of this fool. How many drivers coming out of Texaco look up Church Lane before pulling out? I always do as there are a lot of bad cyclists about!

Sorry I don't know how to do quotes from other people.

Harry

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Was it one of our lovely forum cyclists, resplendant in blue lycra and with a yellow back pack, who undertook my car at speed as I was passing  a stationary bus (at the bus stop) at Rose Hill at about 8.15 this morning? If so, you probably didn't notice the pedestrian emerging from in front of the bus who you nearly ran off the road, the pedestrian leapt back and banged herself on the side of the bus.

Nobody should ever, ever, step into the road in front of a stationary bus.

A woman did that when a friend of mine was passing a bus many years ago. It was the last thing she ever did.

Lily

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 05:38:21 PM »
Not me, Chicken Lady.

wheels

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 05:33:58 PM »
Well it wasn't me I was still in bed.

chicken lady

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
Was it one of our lovely forum cyclists, resplendant in blue lycra and with a yellow back pack, who undertook my car at speed as I was passing  a stationary bus (at the bus stop) at Rose Hill at about 8.15 this morning? If so, you probably didn't notice the pedestrian emerging from in front of the bus who you nearly ran off the road, the pedestrian leapt back and banged herself on the side of the bus.

Lily

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 05:01:06 PM »
Hi Robert,

Have a look at the topic 'Catering for Marple/Connect2' and click on the 'Friends of Chadkirk' link.

This suggests that it will still be about a month before the bridge is usable and open.

However, to get to it, access is down the Back of Marple Hall School via one of the many roads through the estate (on the right of Stockport Rd as you are leaving Marple) or by the lane that actually passes along the outside of the bus layby fence at Marple Hall School. Once you know the route through the estate, like you say, your journey will eventually be virtually car free.

The new path that has been laid is excellent and will be great when the bridge is completed (there's lots of pics on this website showing the progress).

Robert

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:48 PM »
The Bridge at Chadkirk is to be lifted into place starting about 11am on Wednesday 20th June.  The route via Mill Lane will hopefully become part of National Cycle Network Route 55. It is not ideal in its present form, rough and often wet, however Stockport MBC calls this an aspirational route, it needs all of us to persuade them that it needs to become a reality and suitable for commuting.

wheels

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 03:00:28 PM »
Endorsement from you Duke was not something I was looking for. :) But on this occassions your right get people on the roads cycling and it safer for us all.

Duke Fame

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 11:54:43 AM »
You don't have to drive your kids to school, they can walk. If you let your kids cycle to school, they might not see 15 let alone 50.

No Simone, you are right, walking is good too. When I was a lad, the kids who were given a lift to school were considered mummy's boys and it was the height of embarrasment.

Cycling for kids develops a kids judgement of road dangers, creates awareness on hte road and sets them up to be better riders of a motorbike and then a car.

Parents are killing their kids with "kindness", I have a reletive in his 20's who was never taught to ride a bike, he's scared to do so even now, I tried teaching him to drive but his natural road sense was not there as he'd never been exposed to traffic. Sadly, he also has a chronic weight problem too.

I'm with Wheels, get more people on bikes and on hte road and you will get much more awareness of cyclists.

Lily

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 11:10:33 AM »
For once, Simone, I generally agree with Duke. And why wrap your children in cotton wool - mine were riding bikes before they were 5 yrs old. They also walked to school - whatever the weather.

Why should we cyclists be confined to cycle tracks and back roads?  What if we don't have the luxury of being a multiple car household and certain members of the family have to resort to pedal power to get work?  Buses and trains don't always run between your destinations.

I'm afraid that in a lot of cases it's the drivers who need educating (although I admit there are some some foolish cyclists).

I'm a cycle commuter.  Fortunately I have never been hit by a vehicle - just by the stupid drivers/passengers lashing out or throwing things at me while passing (in both directions).

There needs to be education for both drivers and cyclists. 

Cyclists - please wear bright clothing and use lights for your own safety. Don't bounce on and off pavements back into moving traffic.  Signal your intentions and check behind you before manoevering - as you would in a car.

Vehicle drivers - give the cyclists more room when passing them.  We have to avoid small potholes and debris on the road that a driver would happily go over (although if bad enough a driver will swerve to avoid them). Also, please check your mirrors before manoevering and please don't overtake a cyclist just before making a left hand turning - we may be going straight on!