Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Widening of the pavement on Railway Road - Rose Hill  (Read 11369 times)

jimblob

Re: Widening of the pavement on Railway Road - Rose Hill
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:57 PM »
Wheels, you still haven't explained why the work on Railway Road was "Essential"

jimblob

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:03 PM »
Couldn't agree more chicken lady  :)

chicken lady

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »
I am amazed your able to get hold of what is essentially personal information between the Council and the land owner, a transaction that's not even covered by freedom of information requests, I've checked, so its interesting how you got such detailed figures

why is it "personal information between the council and the landowner"? It has been paid for using our council tax by our elected council so therefore should be our information. and still a waste of money!

jimblob

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 12:32:06 PM »
Well the info was supplied under FOI; heh what if Stockport shouldn't have supplied the info to me. Slap their wrists!

wheels

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 12:29:59 PM »
I am amazed your able to get hold of what is essentially personal information between the Council and the land owner, a transaction that's not even covered by freedom of information requests, I've checked, so its interesting how you got such detailed figures

jimblob

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
you also state the work is "essential".... why?

moving Josh Robinson's gravel sales pitch from the pavement on the corner is essential in my opinion, but as the scheme stands now, he has an even larger pitch to sell his wares.

jimblob

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 04:14:29 PM »
well to be precise, £30,800, comprising: -

£12,000 to the freeholder for both pieces of land (the same owner), consider how much the entire Railway Pub car park is worth based on those prices!
£  2,100 to the Railway Hotel for "other costs"
£16,700 (other costs!) made to Josh Robinson excavations, still waiting to see what those are for

the fact that the mid-section remains unchanged is due to the building on Josh Robinson Excavations land, a building for which planning permission might be questionable and is currently being looked into by Stockport's planning department.

Incidentally, the plans submitted for the scheme to the Marple Area Committee didn't show the building in question and suggest that the widenining of the pavement would be of the entire length, their decision being taken on that basis. it would have made sense to proceed on that basis.

I don't yet have a total cost for the project, but at least two workmen for 9 weeks (18 man weeks) plus equipment, design costs and materials don't come cheap, especially building stone walls.

Given the mid-section is essentially a bottleneck and unchanged, in what way do you feel the cost is justified Wheels and how does this benefit the CT payer?

wheels

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 03:41:15 PM »
Not pointless essential.

Now its no good saying I am sure it runs into £x.

Lets have some fact.

Lets have the evidence first for the £30000 you state rather than just re-stating rumour.

I await the fact and even if it were as you suggest £100k I repeat as a CT payer. Good value. I am well pleased with it.

jimblob

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
reasonable cost!

£30,000 just to acquire the land,
9 weeks of work for a team of Solutions SK workmen, equipment, materials etc....
I'm sure the cost runs well into 6 figures, but the mid-section is unchanged and remains the same width as before......

Pointless!

wheels

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 03:03:41 PM »
This will be a great improvement for cyclists and as stated above at a very reasonable cost, but my goodness its taking a long time.

chicken lady

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
I can't really see what difference it will make. I dog-walk almost daily down the middlewood way from stockport Road, have nearly been run over several times when crossing the road by the entrance to the station car park, as car drivers cannot see round the corner at Josh Robinsons yard - and are driving too fast! I have  seen kids going to and from school nearly hit as well, it's an accident waiting to happen.

jimblob

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 04:11:17 PM »
£30,800 (inclusive of vat!) to acquire the two seperate strips of land on Railway Road, (all 1.5 metres wide of it) but as two seperate pieces of land of course, so no real use to anyone. A bargain I'm sure....  maybe they couldn't afford the bit in the middle!

marplerambler

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 11:49:43 AM »
The Stockport Classic bus will still be going faster than the Speedwells on the 394 earlier this year (insert plug at this point - get yourself a ride on the old Stockport Corporation single decker in the Marple Carnival parade next week). On the subject of the pavement at Railway Road, the tree I referred to was not on the proposed new cycle way: it was in the garden adjacent to the pavement on the opposite side of the road. Get it straight: I am not a Luddite and I do ride a bike regularly up Dan Bank but the widening of the pavement and the removal of the trees was totally unnecessary for the cyclists. I cycled up the hill away from the traffic on the much narrower old pavement at walking pace (you have to be extremely fit to go any faster than 5mph anyway) and always moved onto the road if there was a pedestrian which was very rare anyway.

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 06:11:01 PM »
Just struggle to get all 40 passengers on my bike....it's okay going downhill though!!

jimblob

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
get yourself a bike.... it'd be quicker and also get you fitter  ;)