Consulting Structural & Civil Engineers in Marple Bridge

Author Topic: Widening of the pavement on Railway Road - Rose Hill  (Read 11372 times)

Stockport Classic Bus

Re: Widening of the pavement on Railway Road - Rose Hill
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 03:17:44 PM »
Sorry folks but despite the widened road, my old bus [1958!!] still tops out at 10mph on the drag up from Otterspool lights to Marple Hall....it'll be out and about through the summer so if you get stuck behind it, please be patient and remember how life was in the days when there was no traffic to toot behind the bus!!  ;D

wheels

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 02:31:57 PM »
I cycle up Dan Bank every day on the way home from work and not only is there now a consistently wide off road lane for cyclists the ascent is less steep now I am off the road. Or at least thats how it feels  ;D

jimblob

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
I also agree re Dan Bank.... it looks great now and has a consistentlyl wide pavement for pedestrians and cyclist to share too!

The large Horse Chestnut was indeed not at its best I understand as well as being VERY large. Whilst its departure might be seen as unnecessary, other trees I'm sure will take it's place, although sadly not the ones Solutions SK have just chopped down along the soon to be, partially widened section of the Railway Road pavement.

At least with fewer trees there, when cyclist and pedestrians confront each other head on as the midsection narrows to a regular pavement's width, there'll be more light for them to see each other and avoid collision... Or, perhaps not, there's a mystery green building in the way blocking the light that wasn't on the plan presented to the Marple Area Committee!

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 02:09:56 PM »
While you are on the subject of axemen on Railway Road, have you noticed that the super horse chestnut tree facing the entrance to the pub car park has been chopped down. This was a truly splendid old tree which, each autumn, provided me with the conkers to keep the spiders away from my house. Another part of Marple's green and pleasant land has been massacred. Does anyone know if there was a tree preservation order on this tree?

This sounds a little bit like the whining we had when the work on Dan Ban was being done snf trees ewere being taken out, even though over 60% of them were dead and who today drving along Dan Bank can tell the difference in fact it looks greener to me than it did 2 yrs ago. SO I think the lossof one tree for an enhanced facility is perfectly acceptable.

Well said Mr Wheels, I agree with you on this one.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:03:10 PM »
While you are on the subject of axemen on Railway Road, have you noticed that the super horse chestnut tree facing the entrance to the pub car park has been chopped down. This was a truly splendid old tree which, each autumn, provided me with the conkers to keep the spiders away from my house. Another part of Marple's green and pleasant land has been massacred. Does anyone know if there was a tree preservation order on this tree?

This sounds a little bit like the whining we had when the work on Dan Ban was being done snf trees ewere being taken out, even though over 60% of them were dead and who today drving along Dan Bank can tell the difference in fact it looks greener to me than it did 2 yrs ago. SO I think the lossof one tree for an enhanced facility is perfectly acceptable.

jimblob

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »
You could have said all that by saying "Road and Traffic safety is not inportant to me."

It isn't iNportant... it's iMportant though.
Creating a shared pavement and cycleway requires some thought and lots of space, so to create one that squeezes both parties together in the middle is plain stupid. I run and cycle regularly down Middlewood Way so safety for all forms of self-propulsion is top of my list.

marplerambler

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »

wheels

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 04:29:52 AM »
You could have said all that by saying "Road and Traffic safety is not inportant to me."

sooty2

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:44:27 PM »
Remember your quote?Having followed the Seventeen Windows blog with much interest I have just received my reply to the complaint I raised with Stockport MBC. Needless to say, my complaint is not upheld as committee decisions are final! Who's gonna stop out illustrious local authority wasting our money on unneccessary schemes to keep themselves in jobs.Well off they go again.The mad axemen followed by more money wasting destructive schemes.All the new road markings in the area, in my opinion are an eyesore  >:( (Lets hope lots of people attend the meeting about the redevelopment of Chadwick Street car park next Wednesday.God only knows how much money was spent on that when it was recently altered and the traffic direction on Trinity Street changed?

jimblob

Widening of the pavement on Railway Road - Rose Hill
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
What's happening on Railway Road, Rose hill? The scheme, a week in has already seen every single piece of greenery removed from the upper section of the strip. The completed scheme promises to be a compromised scheme that will actually introduce increased dangers where cyclists and pedestrians are sharing two widened sections of pavement but then have to both use a narrowed section….. a bottleneck is actually being constructed that will either force pedestrians or cyclists onto the road or cause them to collide.

Interestingly, the report submitted to the Marple Area Committee by NPS implied the entire length of the pavement would be widened and didn't show the buildings that are are near the boundaries of the plots of land that have been "acquired"... is this another Seventeen Windows? Do the buildings need planning permission? should they even be there?
The submitted plan to the Area Committee is inaccurate and yet it is upon this that the committee made its decision. Why doesn’t the NPS plan show the building? The erection of the buildings pre-date the submission date of the plan by NPS to the Area Committee on 25th May 2011. Something doesn't seem to add up.

If the land acquired isn’t reflective of the NPS drawing and presumed basis for the Committee decision and is therefore only two disjointed sections of the strip of land, why did the land acquisition and scheme still go ahead? Presumably someone saw the discrepancy, if so, who, and what was then done about it? Who took it upon themselves to accept a compromised scheme and still spend the money?

Anyone have any clues?