Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Chadwick Street Car Park  (Read 26702 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Chadwick Street Car Park
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
I agree with Harry. Marple and it's immediate surrounding areas are mixed. The co op is overpriced but lacking in quality and Iceland is at the lower price range. I think a higher quality supermarket would benefit the local area and would mean people wouldn't need to go to Poynton to Waitrose or Hazel Grove to the little M and S. If Asda does come (and I hope it doesn't,) Asda and Aldi, for example is not a good combination but Asda and Waitrose or M and S would cater for different needs.

Than people maybe use the coop because then it would be cheaper . Marple is not Hale Barnes or knutsford .
I agree Amazon us Marple folk have no fur coat only sensible knickers  :o

amazon

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 07:15:03 PM »
I agree with Harry. Marple and it's immediate surrounding areas are mixed. The co op is overpriced but lacking in quality and Iceland is at the lower price range. I think a higher quality supermarket would benefit the local area and would mean people wouldn't need to go to Poynton to Waitrose or Hazel Grove to the little M and S. If Asda does come (and I hope it doesn't,) Asda and Aldi, for example is not a good combination but Asda and Waitrose or M and S would cater for different needs.

Then  people would .maybe use the coop because then it would be cheaper . Marple is not Hale Barnes or knutsford .

Miss C

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 05:23:53 PM »
Asda and SMBC have had a meeting re the Hibbert Lane site but it would appear that the Council's plans for Chadwick Street are not acting as a deterrent to Asda's planned application.  If SMBC's plans for retail development on Chadwick Street do not include a foodstore then this would neatly remove one of the prime arguments against an Asda store on Hibbert Lane ie that a suitable site for a foodstore was available in the town centre.  The timing of the sale of the Chadwick Street site would be very convenient for Asda if this were the case.

Asda will not be deterred whatever the perceived deterrent, they will carry on until they're absolutely sure that they cannot gain planning permission. If the Chadwick Street car-park is retail food development then the Council will grant planning consent at the first hurdle and this will surely put a gaping hole in Asda's application.

I don't think a Waitrose is needed in Marple - far too expensive. For me the ideal store for the community would be an Aldi. I think that you would get an average sized Aldi on that site.   

wheels

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »
Oh yes lets have another overpriced rip off store with Waitrose. No thanks

Dave

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:32:34 AM »
Dream on, Harry   :D

Harry

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 11:30:07 AM »
The site would no doubt be suitable for a higher quality store, something that is sadly lacking in Marple.

I think a Waitrose, with rooftop parking, would be really beneficial to the area.

wheels

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:37:54 AM »
The Sainsburys Local and Tesco small stores are indeed expensive. The site would fit perfectly for an Aldi though which would add substantially to the town

Dave

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
the Council's plans for Chadwick Street are not acting as a deterrent to Asda's planned application. 

This is not surprising, as the two sites are so dissimilar in size - Chadwick Street is much smaller, and too small for a major supermarket, although it might accommodate one of those expensive small ones (e.g. Tesco Express or Sainsbury's Local).  So I doubt whether whatever happens at Chadwick Street will have much impact on whatever happens on Hibbert Lane

sleepless

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 09:15:50 PM »
Asda and SMBC have had a meeting re the Hibbert Lane site but it would appear that the Council's plans for Chadwick Street are not acting as a deterrent to Asda's planned application.  If SMBC's plans for retail development on Chadwick Street do not include a foodstore then this would neatly remove one of the prime arguments against an Asda store on Hibbert Lane ie that a suitable site for a foodstore was available in the town centre.  The timing of the sale of the Chadwick Street site would be very convenient for Asda if this were the case.

Miss Marple

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »
Yes Amazon I am still around !  I  have had a sabbatical  :-\

amazon

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:30:08 PM »
There is to be an Area Committee Meeting on 6th  June At 6pm in the Library  The meeting is to discuss proposals for the car park   It is important that the community are made aware of any proposal which may impact on them.
 There are lots of rumors flying around about how big this development might be so we will  have an opportunity to speak directly to the very people who have influence on the decision making. Stockport Director of Planning services will be present along with our councillors  so please  try to attend and inform as many people as possible.  

Glad to see your still around .

Miss Marple

Chadwick Street Car Park
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:03:44 PM »
There is to be an Area Committee Meeting on 6th  June At 6pm in the Library  The meeting is to discuss proposals for the car park   It is important that the community are made aware of any proposal which may impact on them.
 There are lots of rumors flying around about how big this development might be so we will  have an opportunity to speak directly to the very people who have influence on the decision making. Stockport Director of Planning services will be present along with our councillors  so please  try to attend and inform as many people as possible.