Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Chadwick Street Car Park  (Read 26698 times)

amazon

Re: Chadwick Street Car Park
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 02:57:31 PM »
I don't think people are against A supermarket - they are against A LARGE supermarket - one which sells everything, like the Tesco in Stockport (sells clothes, toys, hardware, car stuff, camping stuff ...). One which would probably put the existing shops out of business.

So what do you think a supermarket should sell .

Cyberman

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »
I don't think people are against A supermarket - they are against A LARGE supermarket - one which sells everything, like the Tesco in Stockport (sells clothes, toys, hardware, car stuff, camping stuff ...). One which would probably put the existing shops out of business.

Dave

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 07:51:07 AM »
Nobody knows what the majority want. We only hear from the vocal minority.

I think that should be carved it stone at the head of this forum.   ;)

alstan

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 06:39:30 AM »
The Sainsburys Local and Tesco small stores are indeed expensive. The site would fit perfectly for an Aldi though which would add substantially to the town
You may be lucky wheels. I see that the preferred developers for Chadwick Street are Kirkland Developments. I believe they were the developers for the new retail centre in Middleton which includes a new Aldi.

Harry

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »
I thought the majority of people were supposedly against A supermarket, and now everybody wants 2.
One Posh and One not so posh ::)

Nobody knows what the majority want. We only hear from the vocal minority.

jethroh65

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
I thought the majority of people were supposedly against A supermarket, and now everybody wants 2.
One Posh and One not so posh ::)

Tricky

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 07:53:30 PM »
A Waitrose and an Asda or a Waitrose and an Aldi but please not an Asda and an Aldi!  (on the presumption that both sites were sold to supermarket chains).

Exactly Marplemum. We need a high-end quality establishment and a cheap alternative. THis way we can cater for all residents.

Two low end supermarkets would just drive Marple down, and the proliferation of second hand junk shops are giving that impression anyway.

Marple does seem like it's mostly full of takeaways, charity shops and second-hand stores.. I'd personally vote for a better quality store.

meh

Harry

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 05:26:52 PM »
A Waitrose and an Asda or a Waitrose and an Aldi but please not an Asda and an Aldi!  (on the presumption that both sites were sold to supermarket chains).

Exactly Marplemum. We need a high-end quality establishment and a cheap alternative. THis way we can cater for all residents.

Two low end supermarkets would just drive Marple down, and the proliferation of second hand junk shops are giving that impression anyway.

Harry

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2012, 05:22:50 PM »
There are expensive houses in Marple, Harry, there are also lots of Stockport Homes, houses.

There is a case for a Waitrose but also a case for an Aldi.

Probably not as many Stockport Homes as you may think. Many of the 'council houses' in Marple were built as part of the Manchester overspill projects around 1960 and were part of Manchester's estate. These I believe are now managed by Mossbank Homes, not Stockport Homes. But now many of these have been purchased by the residents.

Marplemum

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2012, 05:10:24 PM »

simonesaffron

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2012, 05:02:13 PM »
There are expensive houses in Marple, Harry, there are also lots of Stockport Homes, houses.

There is a case for a Waitrose but also a case for an Aldi.

Harry

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 04:54:21 PM »
Not everybody can afford quality. Thats life.

Not all the ladies of Marple can afford to shop at Helen Winterson or Yvonne Gillon, but that doesn't mean these shops shouldn't be here. Many can shop there, and do.

Not everyone can afford a car. Should we close the petrol stations? Of course not.

We need to cater for all groups. Not just the well off, and not just those on limited incomes. So, in terms of supermarkets, we could easily support having an Asda/Tesco/Aldi and a Waitrose/M&S.

There are plenty of houses for sale in the area at over £500k, some over £1m and even a few over £1.5m. This is not an impoverished area.

the rover

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 04:32:46 PM »
Just to point out that not everybody in Marple can afford to shop either in the Co-op or in a Waitrose or M & S. I know pensioners who each week go to Morrisons by the Ring and Ride as it is cheaper for them to pay for the bus and do their weekly shop outside of Marple than to shop in Marple. Everyone of them that I have spoken to would love an Asda on Hibbert Lane, in fact I personally have not spoken to anyone who would not want an Asda in Marple, they all want one.

Marplemum

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
I agree with Miss C.  By having a higher quality supermarket such as Waitrose or M and S, it might encourage shoppers who currently shop out of town to stay in Marple.  I usually shop in Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove and also use the little M and S at Hazel Grove.  I frequently see local people from Marple/Marple Bridge and Mellor shopping in both of these supermarkets.  It can only be good for the shops in Marple to keep local shoppers local.  Incidentally if the College has sold the land then I am also totally in favour of an Asda on Hibbert Lane so that the people with 'sensible knickers' (Miss Marple's description not mine!) have a choice other than the Co-op.

Miss C

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 11:27:01 PM »
That's the point I was trying to make Amazon; some of the wealth in Mellor/Marple Bridge and maybe some parts of Marple isn't dissimilar to that in the areas you mention. By having a higher quality supermarket, the more affluent people may be persuaded to shop in Marple too, rather than catering for just the "sensible knicker" people, as Miss Marple refers to them. Surely the more people you can cater for, the better. I've not lived here very long but I genuinely think that given some of the houses and cars around here, a different type of supermarket other than asda and aldi would flourish.