A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Chadwick Street Car Park  (Read 26690 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Chadwick Street Car Park
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2012, 09:24:18 PM »
If I had to choose... then the college site is always more appropriate, certainly if you look at the neighbour issue.

However its not something any of us HAVE to choose! As far as I am aware we don't know who wants the site yet either? 

I do understand the issues between the 2 sites  but the fact it probably will pass is never a reason to roll over and give up!  Lots of developments would have been automatically passed if residents had not stood up and objected!   The people around Chadwick street have similar and just as, in fact possibly stronger objections to that development as the neighbours of the college site. Why should their opinion matter less?  and it is also a strong planning consideration which seems to have been overlooked here.  The decision is based on many planning considerations, not just its position within the village. It makes it harder to fight, but never impossible!!

Victor M

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2012, 08:42:51 PM »
Lisa the problem is that the size Marple is, by planning standards it warrants 2 supermarkets. The proposed development (size not yet known) on Chadwick Street is inside the District Centre so is a virtual certainty to get approved.
The Hibbert Lane site is outside the District Centre and can therefore be rejected by the Council. However on appeal this could be overturned by the planning inspector.
So it is a odds on certainty that there will be a Supermarket on Chadwick St. whether the one at Hibbert Lane gets the go ahead is debatable.
Not a great choice but what would you rather have, one new supermarket or two?

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
I'm not disagreeing with the other issues of why Chadwick street is preferable to one on the college site.  What I am saying is I've read lots and lots of discussions on here and several vocal members have brought up the right of local residents to live peacefully and happily in their homes... a RIGHT..

Now as far as I am concerned that rule stands for the people on Chadwick street too, but it seems to me that those particular arguments are being selectively ignored for the "greater good" ?

Alot of the people who have raised the rights of neighbours in this way are not directly physically affected by either development but have raised it as a very real concern and a reason THEY will object to the Asda development.  but those voices who are so quick and right to support other people are not vocal about the people directly affected by the Chadwick proposal.

now it appears to me thats because they are now happy about this development and feel that its ok for a minority to suffer for the convenience ( because regardless of how you dress it up that is all it is) of the majority. But isnt that just a little bit hypocritical? 

Amazon... my point is as above.  Its not that I am against a development, I have always been very clear that if its small I support it on the college site, however i do not support it on the Chadwick street site.  Physically neither of these developments affect me at all but I feel it would be very hypocritical of me to object to the asda store using the rights of neighbours, if I didnt then object to the Chadwick residents who have a somewhat bigger argument in that regard!! 

amazon

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »
I agree.. to a degree.. though that is a little extreme!

BUT

Theres a lot of vocal people, talking about morals and issues.  Theyve "stood up" for residents on other applications, then they should do so here too, either as a "group" or as individuals if they feel that groups remit doesnt fit.

I feel Chadwick street is a "get out clause" and it just makes me feel a little sad after all the community building stuff thats gone on.

I WILL be objecting to ANY supermarket on chadwick street on similar grounds to those raised on here regarding the Asda site. 
.                     So you don't like change either .do you not go out of the area to supermarket shop .or is everything if you lucky bought at the coop,.

simonesaffron

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 04:32:31 PM »

BUT

Theres a lot of vocal people, talking about morals and issues.  Theyve "stood up" for residents on other applications, then they should do so here too, either as a "group" or as individuals if they feel that groups remit doesnt fit.

I feel Chadwick street is a "get out clause" and it just makes me feel a little sad after all the community building stuff thats gone on.

I WILL be objecting to ANY supermarket on chadwick street on similar grounds to those raised on here regarding the Asda site. 

One of the arguments against the Hibbert Lane supermarket is that it is "out of district" and will therefore bring and keep people out of Marple Centre, ultimately destroying the local businesses whereas Chadwick Street development building would only take up the space occupied by the current sorting office and because of it's location would bring footfall into the centre. Would you not agree that those differences are significant? 

I think that we can be sure of one thing and that is that the status quo is not going to prevail and Marple is going to have at least one of these developments.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »

BUT

Dave

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
unless the residents say "whoopy do, yes please", I think people who have ever mentioned how an Asda store would impose on neighbours, morally, should oppose this development too. 

Which is the heart of the whole issue.  Most people would not want to live next to a supermarket, and any decent-minded person will sympathise with those living close to either of these proposed sites.   But if nimbyism always prevailed, hardly anything would ever have been built - no roads, no railways, no shops, offices, houses - nothing! 

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 10:39:03 AM »
This is where i feel torn.  I really don't mind a small supermarket in Marple, but i'd prefer it on the college site.   Less hassle for neighbours, more space around them so it doesn't impose. 

But there are residents near Chadwick street and even a small supermarket is going to impose on them hugely, less so than a huge one would impose on neighbours near the college site I think.

so for that reason, unless the residents say "whoopy do, yes please", I think people who have ever mentioned how an Asda store would impose on neighbours, morally, should oppose this development too. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:34 PM »
I don't think people are against A supermarket - they are against A LARGE supermarket - one which sells everything, like the Tesco in Stockport (sells clothes, toys, hardware, car stuff, camping stuff ...). One which would probably put the existing shops out of business.

So what do you think a supermarket should sell .

Cyberman, I think a lot of people are against a large supermarket anywhere in Marple, but I also think a lot of people are against any supermarket on Hibbert Lane. The one that Asda is proposing on Hibbert Lane is 25,000 sq ft sales area compared to 17,000 for the existing co-op. They plan to stock a large range of items including George clothing.
Fantastic news

Will the nylon static adversely effect mobile phones in the area? Just asking like

Johnnyboy

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2012, 09:50:50 PM »
is it a bird is it a plane ..............No ! it's miss marple.  where would we be without her/him.   keep up the good work!    asda beware  :P

sooty2

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2012, 09:15:57 PM »
The information came from Andrew Stunnell in a conversation with Miss Marple.

Harry

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 07:46:15 PM »
....... The one that Asda is proposing on Hibbert Lane is 25,000 sq ft sales area compared to 17,000 for the existing co-op. They plan to stock a large range of items including George clothing.

I've not yet seen any planning details from Asda. Can you share your source of this information?

Henry_

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
I don't think people are against A supermarket - they are against A LARGE supermarket - one which sells everything, like the Tesco in Stockport (sells clothes, toys, hardware, car stuff, camping stuff ...). One which would probably put the existing shops out of business.

Cyberman, I think a lot of people are against a large supermarket anywhere in Marple, but I also think a lot of people are against any supermarket on Hibbert Lane. The one that Asda is proposing on Hibbert Lane is 25,000 sq ft sales area compared to 17,000 for the existing co-op. They plan to stock a large range of items including George clothing.

Fantastic news

simonesaffron

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 04:52:17 PM »

Dave

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 04:31:06 PM »

Er, food?   :o