Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Classic old Stockport bus available!  (Read 14729 times)

Stockport Classic Bus

Re: Classic old Stockport bus available!
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
Hi Traceyanne

PM me to discuss, or catch me at the Carnival on 21st :-)

Cheers

Darren

moonglimmers

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 03:42:37 PM »
Hello,

I am looking to hire a vintage bus, just wondering if you offered this service? It would be one trip within Manchester.

Thanks,
Traceyanne

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2013, 08:38:23 PM »
Hi everyone

I'm hoping - and it is, at this stage, very tentative - to add a Stockport Corporation PD2 Titan to the fleet in 2013. It will enable more capacity to be available alongside the single deck Tiger Cub.

Cheers

Darren
Stockport Classic Bus

benzbug

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:45:08 PM »
Hi Darren

Very pleased to see you have saved a part of my childhood! I probably travelled on this bus on the 92x school service (it followed the 16 route Stockport -Stepping Hill) in the 1960s when I was at Mile End (Stockport School) as a teenager, though it was more usually a PD2 double decker, of which I know at least one is preserved in Stockport colours.

Just before the Stockport buses were repainted in SelNec livery I took a colour slide photo of each type, and I'm pretty sure one was of a Leyland single decker. I'll root it out and if it turns out to be yours you are welcome to have a copy.

Anyway, the main reason for posting is to see if you still need local storage for it. We have a big barn near Prestbury where we store classic cars, and we would love to see your bus in there too. Have a look at http://www.ccbenz.co.uk/?page_id=71 and give me a call on the contact number given.

Best regards
Pete Lewis

oolum45

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
I should have explained route 95 Marple to Whaley Bridge via New Mills operated via Mellor.
There was no direct route from Mellor to Stockport via Marple until the rationalisation of Marple services in September 1976 when route 363 was introduced by Greater Manchester Transport. From then on the half hourly service from Mellor to Stockport meant that alternative journeys operated via either Marple (363) or Romiley (383). The route was also converted to One Person Operation apart from the few journeys that continued to Moor End, which at that time required a conductor to help the bus reverse. Those journeys tended to be operated by ex Stockport Leyland Titan double deckers with open rear platforms right up until they were withdrawn.

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »
Really interesting! Thanks for posting this information.

oolum45

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 01:35:24 PM »
Bus Routes in Marple

You are right in saying North Western was the main operator in and around Marple. The route 90 was on paper a joint route between North Western, SHMD & Stockport. This meant that receipts were 'pooled' as each had a financial interest. Normally only NWRCC & SHMD operated it. There is a big 'however'. Any joint operator could be called to fulfil its obligation to operate in respect of a breakdown or something known as 'mileage balancing' - something best known to transport accountants. Also in those days to operate a route you had to hold the licence. All 3 operators did so. Stockport had a number of 'on paper' joint routes such as the 180 to Heald Green & 165 to Greave & Torkington, but you never saw a Stockport bus on it. However the 90 was slightly different, it appeared in SCTD timetables and even in faretables which were normally just issued to staff, so there is an expectation SCTD might be required to fulfil some of the obligations of a joint operator from time to time. In 1967 and again on a Saturday evening in 1968 I saw Stockport Titans in Maple opposite the Regent Cinema showing destination HYDE but not displaying a route number. I can only saw what I saw - nothing more - no proof.

The Routes in Marple during the 1960s were as follows

28 Manchester LMS - Hayfield (via Stockport - Offerton - Marple - New Mills) terminating in the car park of the Royal Hotel in Hayfield.

It had been introduced as service 14 in 1921, renumbered 15 in 1925 with some journeys extended to Little Hayfield in 1929. It took number 28 in 1936.

North Western always tended to use double deckers it had on demonstration on this route. It saw buses borrowed from Aldershot & District, Trent, East Midland, Lancashire United, Birmingham City & Barton as well as others.

83 Stockport - Mellor
Introduced in 1923 as service 18, it took number 25 in 1925. 22 in 1927 and 83 in 1936.
In May 1966 alternate journeys were diverted via Harrytown and they took number 82.

27X Stockport  - New Mills (Circular)
Via A6 to New Mills and inward via route 28 and vice versa.
Introduced in 1939 this had always been intended to be a joint route with Stockport Corporation but WW2 prevented this. A number of Stockport Corporation's Crossleys & Leylands had blinds fitted New Mills Via Disley & New Mills via Marple. I have plenty of photo proof. Never used these destinations remained the cleanest on the blinds.
Introduced 5/1939 and in 10/1963 clockwise journeys became 28X but returned to 27X in June 1965

28A/28X
Stockport - Hawk Green (28X)
Stockport - Thornholme Road 28A
introduced 6/65

124 Hazel Grove - Marple - Glossop

Introduced in 1923 as Marple Bridge - Glossop
renumbered 32 in 1925
renumbered 35 in 1928
and again to 124 in 1936
extended to Marple in 1951
and Hazel Grove in 1961

90 Marple - Stalybridge
Introduced as service 23 in 1929 Marple Bridge to Hyde
Renumbered 90 in 1936
extended to Marple Rose Hill in 1942
extended to Stalybridge in 1949

95 Marple - Whaley Bridge
Introduced in 1936 as Marple Bridge - New Mills
extended to Whaley Bridge in 1942
extended to Marple 1953

82 Hazel Grove - Maple - Mellor
Introduced 1936 became 87 in 1966

82A Hawk Green - Compstall
Introduced 1939 became 87A in 1966

87 Marple - Mill Brow
operated from 1936 to 1962

87 Hazel Grove - Marple - Mellor
from May 1966

171 Hazel Grove - Hollins Mill
Introduced 1938 became 82B in 1959

165 Stockport - Torkington - Greave
via Chadkirk
'on paper' Joint with Stockport
introduced in Jan 1938

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »
Sorry about the lack of email reply Mark!!

I've just replied to you personally. The email address I use for the bus is a sporadically checked one....note to self....check it more often!!

On a more general note I would be keen to put the 'carnival bus' to use in the festival by providing, if folks were interested, a shuttle service to bring people into the centre. It would be fairly easy to run a couple of trips on the Saturday and Sunday along the lines of:

Hayfield-New Mills-Strines-Marple and

Stockport-Offerton-Rose Hill-Marple

Which would encourage patronage of the festival.

I'd also be happy to run a return trip later in the day on one of the days....but not both, or I'll not be able to make full use of the beers!!

Not quite sure how best to sort it out.....any ideas anyone? I cannot for legal reasons [nor would I want to] charge a 'fare' for the trips....usually I just leave an honesty box in the bus for people to donate some loose change for diesel costs if they want to. Running old buses is not a cheap hobby, but there would be no charge for using the Festival Shuttle!!

Darren

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »
Hi everyone

Just to let you know, I've recently completed the restoration of a 1958 Stockport Corporation single-deck bus, which used to trundle around Marple in the 1960s and 70s. Fully repainted in red and white, the Corporation colours, it can seat 40 people and on a good day reach the breakneck speed of 40mph!

It will be in the Marple Carnival this year, so please have a look at it and say hello. I'm very happy to make it available for any charity days, park events or other community things locally.

It is stored in St Helens currently, as that is the nearest undercover space, but I live in Marple myself. If anyone happens to have a dry barn, garage space or shed locally which could accommodate a single deck bus 30 ft long then shout out - I'll snap your hand off!!

Anyhow - feel free to get in touch. I really hope it can become a community resource.

Cheers

Darren

Hi Darren,

How do people who want to hire the bus get in touch? I have been contacted by Festival organisers who would like to use the bus to transport a folk group from Rose Hill to Market Street during the Food and Drink event on Friday 21 September. I have emailed you about this a couple of weeks ago but no reply. I won't pass your email address onto them without your consent, so I'm a bit stuck at the moment.

Please let me have some contact details that I can pass on or post them here!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:19:41 PM »
The carnival event went really well. The classic bus might have been spotted by some eagle eyed folks in both Stepping Hill and Mellor yesterday....it was featured as an exhibit at the hospital open day, and then fulfilled birthday transport duties for a private party from Mellor Church Fete later in the day....sorry if you were held up in any traffic as a result! Cheers.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:55 PM »
Please spread the word!!

I've added this to the news at the top of the forum and to the Carnival Facebook page.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:12:30 PM »
Great idea to ask for Charity donations for a ride!

Am conscious that some people have more money than others....but if anyone wants to ride on the bus, meet at the parade assembly point [by the old toilets on the playing fields] at 1.30pm and as long as you drop more than £2 in the charity tin, you can climb aboard....that way the community benefits as well as those having a trundle round the parade on the old bus!!

Please spread the word!!

Darren

marplerambler

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
Darren,

Thanks for the offer of a ride. Looks like you have just sold a seat and raised £20 for the Marple Carnival Charities.

All the best,

Steve Slater.

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 02:30:27 PM »
You're right in that practically no Stockport buses actually operated in Marple. With my own vehicle, very occasional additional journeys on the '90' service from Stalybridge to Marple were undertaken, but usually it was SHMD or North Western's route. And very very occasionally, Stockport buses would pass through Marple on a works service.

Please do call by and see the bus in Marple Carnival!! If you want to ride inside the bus then just let me know and you can!!

Darren

badger

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:24:11 AM »
Hi, don't you remember the 'Busy Bees' little mini buses that swamped the area for a short time.