Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
November 24, 2014, 08:02:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrap metal merchant Railway Road, Rose Hill  (Read 5843 times)
shartley

« on: May 17, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »

Hi

Just wondered if anyone knows who owns the car park on Railway Road adjacent to the start of the Middlewood Way?  (Not the station car park!)

A scrap metal merchant seems to be regularly using the car park, particularly at weekends, taking up 4 or 5 spaces that could (should?) be for the use of visitors to the Middlewood Way, allotments etc.  Clearly attracted by the site's proximity to Rose Hill tip. 

When I raised this with Stockport MBC they told me it's not their property so they are unable to enforce parking byelaws.  The site has only recently (last 2-3 years?) been much improved - resurfaced, kerbed and lines painted; I wonder who paid for this work if it's not a Council facility?

Steve
simonesaffron

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »

Hi

Just wondered if anyone knows who owns the car park on Railway Road adjacent to the start of the Middlewood Way?  (Not the station car park!)

A scrap metal merchant seems to be regularly using the car park, particularly at weekends, taking up 4 or 5 spaces that could (should?) be for the use of visitors to the Middlewood Way, allotments etc.  Clearly attracted by the site's proximity to Rose Hill tip. 

When I raised this with Stockport MBC they told me it's not their property so they are unable to enforce parking byelaws.  The site has only recently (last 2-3 years?) been much improved - resurfaced, kerbed and lines painted; I wonder who paid for this work if it's not a Council facility?

Steve

Hello Steve,

I think that it might have been Greater Manchester Waste Disposal Authority. Just to be sure why don't you ask your local Councillor ?
Heritage

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »

Might have been the scrap metal bloke  Cool
Duke Fame

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 03:37:29 PM »

Why don't you just ask the guy on Sunday. It seems to me that he's just doing a but of recycling and making an honest bob in the process. I'm all for enterprise.
Heritage

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2012, 06:03:59 PM »

Absolutely spot-on. Let's stop the middle class hand wringing, timid 'does anyone know...' forum-speak, and just ask people straight about things!
amazon

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2012, 06:49:17 PM »

Absolutely spot-on. Let's stop the middle class hand wringing, timid 'does anyone know...' forum-speak, and just ask people straight about things!

Be carefully they are not bigger than you of coarse .
Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 02:00:07 PM »

I can't see why you're bothered Steve. He's recycling a few thing, giving them an extra bit of life and offering a fairly cheap solution so someone doesn't have to import another white good. Furthermore, he's not on the dole and the government hasn't had to invent ajob for him to have a living so everyone's a winner.

Ok the Cycle path has one less parking space but there is an empty car park just next door. 
marveld

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 05:10:56 PM »

I can't see why you're bothered Steve. He's recycling a few thing, giving them an extra bit of life and offering a fairly cheap solution so someone doesn't have to import another white good. Furthermore, he's not on the dole and the government hasn't had to invent ajob for him to have a living so everyone's a winner.

Ok the Cycle path has one less parking space but there is an empty car park just next door. 

Duke - Steve was claiming he was taking several parking slots, not one. I've no idea if he's claiming dole or not whilst having a pitch at Rose Hill (not my business). You seem to know for a fact he isn't claiming! Hmmmm, I'm sure you know it all.
Heritage

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:50 PM »

Is it seriously the case that we are truly bothered about the scrap metal bloke? Surely the guys who work at the tip...sorry, community recycling facility...would have nobbled this guy were he posing a public nuisance or breaking some statutory bye-law. As for hand-wringing about whether or not he pays the VAT man...well...methinks some people doth protest too much....
simonesaffron

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 09:35:08 AM »

Is it seriously the case that we are truly bothered about the scrap metal bloke? Surely the guys who work at the tip...sorry, community recycling facility...would have nobbled this guy were he posing a public nuisance or breaking some statutory bye-law. As for hand-wringing about whether or not he pays the VAT man...well...methinks some people doth protest too much....

Heritage, we're all "hand-wringers" on here - including you and me. Why else would we be commenting about this "issue" on this site, Saturday Night & Sunday Morning? 
Heritage

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 10:14:33 AM »

Let's agree to stop!!
bat man

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:21:35 PM »

This car park is never full so what harm is the scrap man doing.".:-)

Laugh and the world laughs with you....cry and moan and your on your own...
chicken lady

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »

The car park on railway road is often full at weekends, particularly when the middlewood way is fully open. as for the council not being responsible, I contacted the council a few months ago about 2 cars which appeared to be abandoned there (untaxed) and they were moved within 2 weeks.
Duke Fame

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 10:20:42 AM »

The car park on railway road is often full at weekends, particularly when the middlewood way is fully open. as for the council not being responsible, I contacted the council a few months ago about 2 cars which appeared to be abandoned there (untaxed) and they were moved within 2 weeks.

Whilst that area is often full, the car park at the station is never full, there is a lot of capacity for people with cars & bikes.
bluebelly

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 12:58:46 PM »

the station car park is for rail users only.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite