Self Catering Holiday Cottages in
Marple, Stockport & Cheshire

Author Topic: Local election results  (Read 35983 times)

wheels

Re: Local election results
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »
And thats it thats at the heart of your campaign to reduce council expenditure????? Quite apart from the fact that your just wrong about positive discrimination. Can't wait to hear what other shocks you have in store.

I don't really have a campaign, Wheels, I simply don't agree with the way some council does it's spending. Stockport is not as bad as some, Richard Leese & his Manchester council is one (around here) that annoys me the most. I don't believe the council tax payer in Manchester should be funding the likes of a Nuclear Free Local Secretariat & Policy and Research Officer whilst the council is claiming to be hard done to. If I have time, I may consider putting myself up for election with a view of teaming up with the excellent Heald Green Independent Ratepayers - the problem being is I would rather target a Labour seat as they are the least competent at seeking economy & efficiency.

I don't like council tax as a way of funding local authorites. I think it has none of the advantages of the short-lived poll tax but retains all the drawbacks in that it's not connected to the ability to pay. I think all flat rate taxes are unfair which are neither connected to income or consumption. i.e. council tax, business rates, TV licence etc unfairly hit the poorest in society & unfair. I'd suggest the tax be a local income tax , corporation tax and well, the BBC should be privatised.

Well I think I would disagree there on moreor less every point you make. I thinkit is very much the roleof a local authority to champion those issues which without there support would not find an outlet. Even those which whom I disagree. SO if a few pounds of my council tax is going each year to support unfashonable causes well done Local AUthority I say. HG Ratepayers or at lease there Leader Peter Burns  are good people but make no mistake they have an organisation several thousands strong and operate effectivley as the leading political party of the area. Independents might sound attractive buy they often no philosphy or underlying principles. All there interested in is not paying their fair share and NIMBYism and usually disappear very quickly.

I would love to see a local income taxand indeed site value rating but do remember that we locally contribute very little to our councils budget over 70% of it coming directly from Westminster.

As for the BBC the frezzing of the TV licence is a disgrace the board of govenors were shocking the way they rolled over. We pay a tiny amount for an outstanding service (Royal simmpering apart) It could be doubled and still be good value.

Victor M

« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2012, 06:18:17 PM »
the BBC should be privatised
I have some sympathy with your views Duke but not the last one. The USA is a good example of why the BBC should NOT be privatised.

Duke Fame

« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2012, 01:11:50 PM »
And thats it thats at the heart of your campaign to reduce council expenditure????? Quite apart from the fact that your just wrong about positive discrimination. Can't wait to hear what other shocks you have in store.

I don't really have a campaign, Wheels, I simply don't agree with the way some council does it's spending. Stockport is not as bad as some, Richard Leese & his Manchester council is one (around here) that annoys me the most. I don't believe the council tax payer in Manchester should be funding the likes of a Nuclear Free Local Secretariat & Policy and Research Officer whilst the council is claiming to be hard done to. If I have time, I may consider putting myself up for election with a view of teaming up with the excellent Heald Green Independent Ratepayers - the problem being is I would rather target a Labour seat as they are the least competent at seeking economy & efficiency.

I don't like council tax as a way of funding local authorites. I think it has none of the advantages of the short-lived poll tax but retains all the drawbacks in that it's not connected to the ability to pay. I think all flat rate taxes are unfair which are neither connected to income or consumption. i.e. council tax, business rates, TV licence etc unfairly hit the poorest in society & unfair. I'd suggest the tax be a local income tax , corporation tax and well, the BBC should be privatised.

Duke Fame

« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2012, 10:29:38 AM »
I received as invitation to a presentation to encourage employers to offer Apprenticeships to ethnic minorities. I have no time for positive discrimination, there is nothing that can be positive about discrimination and it's rightly illegal to discriminate on the basis of race etc.

That is not positive discrimination, it is known as positive action.  I believe Duke runs a business, so he must be very well aware of the difference. 

We all realise that you are passionately anti-local authority, Duke, but you undermine your own case when you base it on completely unjustified allegations.  ::)

I don't run my OWN business Dave, I run the financial side of things for the shareholders.

If the aim is that employers CONSIDER all applicants for a role, I'd say that's fine, the aim on the email was that firms employ more people from an ethnic minority background. I've not been to the presentation yet but it struck me as wrong.

Duke Fame

« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »
I'd rather pay a little less and have a few less....projects to encourage employers to break discrimination laws when recruiting.
That's interesting.  So give us an example of a council project to encourage employers to break discrimination laws. 

I received as invitation to a presentation to encourage employers to offer Apprenticeships to ethnic minorities. I have no time for positive discrimination, there is nothing that can be positive about discrimination and it's rightly illegal to discriminate on the basis of race etc.

No, that is not all but it's a recent waste of time & money I noticed.

Why do you think I'm wrong BTW?

Dave

« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2012, 10:17:08 AM »

That is not positive discrimination, it is known as positive action.  I believe Duke runs a business, so he must be very well aware of the difference. 

We all realise that you are passionately anti-local authority, Duke, but you undermine your own case when you base it on completely unjustified allegations.  ::)

wheels

« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:00 AM »
I'd rather pay a little less and have a few less....projects to encourage employers to break discrimination laws when recruiting.
That's interesting.  So give us an example of a council project to encourage employers to break discrimination laws. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2012, 07:17:22 AM »

wheels

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
Glad you asked that I am looking forward to the reply :o

Dave

« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2012, 10:54:42 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2012, 09:07:09 PM »
I don't want the council tax reduced it hasnt gone up for the last two years.  Iwant to see services increased and if that means paying more thats fine by me. I am band F and pay about £225 a month which seems good value to me.

Hmmm, that is possibly because you have a relatively high wage so that £225 is a small % of your income, council tax suits two groups, the vey well paid and those who don't bother to work for a living. Council taxes and business taxes have increased above inflation for 20 years. I pay £190 per week which is around 30% of my salary, if everyone paid 30% of their salary for a load of incompetent made up jobs and answering freedom of information requests, the electorate would demand more accountability and more efficiency.

I dont have a particularly high income but since you ask its certainly less than £25k  Ijust feel what I/we pay is good value for money and I would be happy to pay more for enhanced services. I am not one as I work inthe private sector but there are clearly a lot of good hard working council officers do their best intheir chosen profession in very difficuly times financially for local authorities.

That's OK but there is a perfectly good market to exchange further cash for additional services if yo so wish. I'd rather pay a little less and have a few less recycling officers and projects to encourage employers to break discrimination laws when recruiting.

wheels

« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2012, 02:53:16 PM »
I don't want the council tax reduced it hasnt gone up for the last two years.  Iwant to see services increased and if that means paying more thats fine by me. I am band F and pay about £225 a month which seems good value to me.

Hmmm, that is possibly because you have a relatively high wage so that £225 is a small % of your income, council tax suits two groups, the vey well paid and those who don't bother to work for a living. Council taxes and business taxes have increased above inflation for 20 years. I pay £190 per week which is around 30% of my salary, if everyone paid 30% of their salary for a load of incompetent made up jobs and answering freedom of information requests, the electorate would demand more accountability and more efficiency.

I dont have a particularly high income but since you ask its certainly less than £25k  Ijust feel what I/we pay is good value for money and I would be happy to pay more for enhanced services. I am not one as I work inthe private sector but there are clearly a lot of good hard working council officers do their best intheir chosen profession in very difficuly times financially for local authorities.

wheels

« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2012, 02:43:27 PM »
Transport as your aware is not a local authority responsibilty.
But we pay for it via council tax. 

No we don't the transport levy is collected with the coucil tax for ease but it is not part of the council tax or levied by the local authority

simonesaffron

« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »
"Innovation"...a new method or idea of doing something...

Despite putting an extra £1M more than recommended the roads and pavements are worse than ever and deteriorating.

The new school at Rosehill is a legacy from a Labour government initiative.

I don't actually understand the Cantonaesque "hobby horse" allusion, please explain.

None of our Councillors have got any kids. 

Dave

« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
Transport as your aware is not a local authority responsibilty.
But we pay for it via council tax. 

There are now places for the public to use toilets than ten years ago.
Yes, that's what one of our councillors told me.  As I pointed out at the time, he obviously hasn't been with his kids at Mellor Rec when one of them wants to go to the loo, and the sign on the door of the toilets tells you to take them to the Devonshire - which is closed all afternoon.   ::)

So not much innovation coming from you there.
Did I claim to be innovative?  I just expect decent services. 

Be careful Innovation doesnt = my hobby horse.
Meaning?