Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
April 21, 2014, 05:41:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

Support Friends of Marple Memorial Park when you shop on-line:

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

To advertise on this site

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Local election results  (Read 6511 times)
wheels

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »

How litle you understand. The offerton seat up in 2014 is held by  John Smith for the Tories so could never ever be a loss for the Lib Dems. And if Labour could not take Manor this year with all the nastyness they through at Sue Derbyshire and the mass resources they pumped in there I would not hold your breath. Lol Lib Dems will lose Offerton in 2014 a seat they dont even hold. Oh dear what sharpe analysis.
simonesaffron

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »

How litle you understand. The offerton seat up in 2014 is held by  John Smith for the Tories so could never ever be a loss for the Lib Dems. And if Labour could not take Manor this year with all the nastyness they through at Sue Derbyshire and the mass resources they pumped in there I would not hold your breath. Lol Lib Dems will lose Offerton in 2014 a seat they dont even hold. Oh dear what sharpe analysis.

Apologies for my lack of understanding.

I'm fully aware that John Smith is a Conservative at least he is now. He won't even stand. So that bit is irrelevant. You are not reading this thread properly, Wheels. Pedantry aside the LibDems will not regain it.

What was the "nastiness" the Labour Party threw at Sue Derbyshire ? I don't recall hearing about any, please tell, help inform my opinion. The thing is they won't be up against SD will they, they'll be up against young Danny, won't they! To look at your argument from another angle if all the LibDems could do was hang on by their fingernails to a seat that the Deputy Leader of the Council (now the Leader)had held for 8 years, a seat that they chucked everything at,  then what happens when the Deputy Leader doesn't stand? and they don't chuck everything at it... EXACTLY!...i'll leave you to work it out. The fact is the numbers are working against the  LibDems. Not just in Stockport but across the region/country. The talk in Manchester and Oldham is that they reckon after 2015 election there won't be a single one left on either Council.     
Victor M

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »

The talk in Manchester and Oldham is that they reckon after 2015 election there won't be a single one left on either Council.

But this isn't Manchester or Oldham and that's probably the reason why we all live here. I am getting a little tired of the political point scoring that seems to be going on on this thread. We should all be much more interested in going to the next Marple Area Committee meeting on 6th June when the Chadwick Street car park development will be discussed and where we can all see Democracy in Action.
wheels

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »

I don't actually agree. I think a discussion of the wider political make up of the council is much more important than going to an area committee meeting.The make up of the council has much more impact on Marple than turning up at one area committee meeting.
wheels

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »

The point i make Simon is that you continually contend that whatever happens in Offerton will be a loss for the Lib Dems it wont. Therefore you cannot build it into any calcualtion. At the best for Lab they will gain the seat from the Tories and that will not increase in any way the opposition numbers.
I suspect and you might disagree that we will see a Lib Dem gain there together with a LD gain in Cale Green increasing theirnumbers by 2.

Labour have never controlled Stockport and cannot do it on their current ward base.

Victor M

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »

I don't actually agree. I think a discussion of the wider political make up of the council is much more important than going to an area committee meeting.The make up of the council has much more impact on Marple than turning up at one area committee meeting.
The next time that there is Council elections is in May 2014, by that time the Chadwick Street car park development will at least have been started and may have been completed + the proposed development on Hibbert lane at least been decided. The make up of the SMBC council has very little impact on Marple in general because even after 2014 no one party will have overall control. Over the last 25 years the Council has either been Tory, Lid Dem or NOC. Labour have no change of gaining overall control of SMBC!
The Chadwick St. car park will have a dramatic impact on Marple.
Harry

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »

The Chadwick St. car park will have a dramatic impact on Marple.

In what way?

"Nothing is infinite, except the universe and stupid people, and sometimes, I doubt the universe."
--- Albert Einstein
Victor M

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »

In what way?
Depends on the size of the development, what it consists of, changes to the road configuration. Just look at what has happened in Poynton?
wheels

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »

Until you see any firm proposals and dont see how you can say it will have a dramatic impact on Marple. But even if it does we all have our own interests and priorities and for me I think it is more import for the future of Marple that control remains with the Lib Dems than that I spend my time watching area committee meetingI say that without being a member of any party just a concerned and aware Marple resident. Particularly as at the moments I have no clear views re the development in Marple.
Victor M

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »

Until you see any firm proposals and dont see how you can say it will have a dramatic impact on Marple.
That's why you need to be at the next Area Committee Meeting, because it is there that the preferred proposal will be discussed and made public!
wheels

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 07:19:32 PM »

But why you were told last November what the perfered option for the site was all you can be told now is that there is a prefered biddered. You can have your input when there is an actually planning application. I have better things to do next Wednesday. Let the process take its course.

A development is a good idea just lets get the actual planning application detail right.

Until then don't get all excited.
Heritage

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2012, 09:26:09 PM »

I agree...just follow a due process and allow for a structured approach to this and other issues. Otherwise [and the Tesco/ASDA thread seems to have thankfully withered on this basis] all that becomes 'debated' is speculative hot air and rhetoric.
simonesaffron

« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »

The point i make Simon is that you continually contend that whatever happens in Offerton will be a loss for the Lib Dems it wont. Therefore you cannot build it into any calcualtion. At the best for Lab they will gain the seat from the Tories and that will not increase in any way the opposition numbers.
I suspect and you might disagree that we will see a Lib Dem gain there together with a LD gain in Cale Green increasing theirnumbers by 2.

Labour have never controlled Stockport and cannot do it on their current ward base.

The only points I make Wheels about JS's Offerton seat is that Labour will win it thus giving them one more seat and that gradually the numbers are stacking up in favour of Labour. Any way Victor is probably right ..."nuff said on the subject".

simonesaffron

« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2012, 09:10:48 AM »

I see no point in attending Area Committee, you won't learn much. Perhaps the name of the preferred developer and you can get that from other sources the day after.  The 6 Councillors obviously, already have their plan very much mapped out and nothing anybody says at the AC will change that.

In point of fact all credit to them. They didn't just stand by and protest as Asda marched into town as many other Councillors would have done. They thought about and they came up with a plan an innovative one in fact. Who would have thought to build a supermarket on Chadwick Street?

Neither do they consult...they often appear to, it is very cleverly done but what they do in reality is "inform" after the event. They probably have to do it this way or nothing would be implemented. 

It also looks as if it is going to happen. The only fly in the ointment I can see is if it's actually Asda that buy Chadwick Street. Now that would be interesting.

Like most on here I will wait until I see some plan/structure before hareing off to area committee and giving forth about something that I have no detail on. 
Miss Marple

« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2012, 09:48:27 AM »

I see every point of attending Area Committee meetings.   We must remember that two recently re elected councillors got their seats back due to their claim of opposing a supermarket on Hibbert Lane, remember the pictures, posters ? I remember them well, so I will be watching along with a lot of the community to see if our councillors do what they were elected to do, that is to speak on behalf  the community, not to speak for with out consultation.
For years our councillors have had a free hand, but not anymore   MARPLE has woken up and now demands representatives who are  transparent and we will settle for nothing less.   

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite