Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: Local election results  (Read 35716 times)

Victor M

Re: Local election results
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »
Until you see any firm proposals and dont see how you can say it will have a dramatic impact on Marple.
That's why you need to be at the next Area Committee Meeting, because it is there that the preferred proposal will be discussed and made public!

wheels

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
Until you see any firm proposals and dont see how you can say it will have a dramatic impact on Marple. But even if it does we all have our own interests and priorities and for me I think it is more import for the future of Marple that control remains with the Lib Dems than that I spend my time watching area committee meetingI say that without being a member of any party just a concerned and aware Marple resident. Particularly as at the moments I have no clear views re the development in Marple.

Victor M

« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2012, 01:00:49 PM »
In what way?
Depends on the size of the development, what it consists of, changes to the road configuration. Just look at what has happened in Poynton?

Harry

« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2012, 12:46:04 PM »
The Chadwick St. car park will have a dramatic impact on Marple.

In what way?

Victor M

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2012, 12:34:56 PM »
I don't actually agree. I think a discussion of the wider political make up of the council is much more important than going to an area committee meeting.The make up of the council has much more impact on Marple than turning up at one area committee meeting.
The next time that there is Council elections is in May 2014, by that time the Chadwick Street car park development will at least have been started and may have been completed + the proposed development on Hibbert lane at least been decided. The make up of the SMBC council has very little impact on Marple in general because even after 2014 no one party will have overall control. Over the last 25 years the Council has either been Tory, Lid Dem or NOC. Labour have no change of gaining overall control of SMBC!
The Chadwick St. car park will have a dramatic impact on Marple.

wheels

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2012, 11:39:32 AM »
The point i make Simon is that you continually contend that whatever happens in Offerton will be a loss for the Lib Dems it wont. Therefore you cannot build it into any calcualtion. At the best for Lab they will gain the seat from the Tories and that will not increase in any way the opposition numbers.
I suspect and you might disagree that we will see a Lib Dem gain there together with a LD gain in Cale Green increasing theirnumbers by 2.

Labour have never controlled Stockport and cannot do it on their current ward base.

wheels

« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »
I don't actually agree. I think a discussion of the wider political make up of the council is much more important than going to an area committee meeting.The make up of the council has much more impact on Marple than turning up at one area committee meeting.

Victor M

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2012, 11:08:44 AM »
The talk in Manchester and Oldham is that they reckon after 2015 election there won't be a single one left on either Council.

But this isn't Manchester or Oldham and that's probably the reason why we all live here. I am getting a little tired of the political point scoring that seems to be going on on this thread. We should all be much more interested in going to the next Marple Area Committee meeting on 6th June when the Chadwick Street car park development will be discussed and where we can all see Democracy in Action.

simonesaffron

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
How litle you understand. The offerton seat up in 2014 is held by  John Smith for the Tories so could never ever be a loss for the Lib Dems. And if Labour could not take Manor this year with all the nastyness they through at Sue Derbyshire and the mass resources they pumped in there I would not hold your breath. Lol Lib Dems will lose Offerton in 2014 a seat they dont even hold. Oh dear what sharpe analysis.

Apologies for my lack of understanding.

I'm fully aware that John Smith is a Conservative at least he is now. He won't even stand. So that bit is irrelevant. You are not reading this thread properly, Wheels. Pedantry aside the LibDems will not regain it.

What was the "nastiness" the Labour Party threw at Sue Derbyshire ? I don't recall hearing about any, please tell, help inform my opinion. The thing is they won't be up against SD will they, they'll be up against young Danny, won't they! To look at your argument from another angle if all the LibDems could do was hang on by their fingernails to a seat that the Deputy Leader of the Council (now the Leader)had held for 8 years, a seat that they chucked everything at,  then what happens when the Deputy Leader doesn't stand? and they don't chuck everything at it... EXACTLY!...i'll leave you to work it out. The fact is the numbers are working against the  LibDems. Not just in Stockport but across the region/country. The talk in Manchester and Oldham is that they reckon after 2015 election there won't be a single one left on either Council.     

wheels

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:49 AM »
How litle you understand. The offerton seat up in 2014 is held by  John Smith for the Tories so could never ever be a loss for the Lib Dems. And if Labour could not take Manor this year with all the nastyness they through at Sue Derbyshire and the mass resources they pumped in there I would not hold your breath. Lol Lib Dems will lose Offerton in 2014 a seat they dont even hold. Oh dear what sharpe analysis.

simonesaffron

« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2012, 05:56:57 AM »
Its extremly unlikely Labour would win it in my view even less so manor as you suggest. But even if Labour did win Offerton it would make not the slightest difference to the countrol of the authority as as it would merely move seats between oppostion groups.

Much more likely give current trends is that Labour will lose Daveport and Cale Green and the Lib Dems regain Offerton taking them to 30.

What will actually happen is that Labour will win Manor and also Offerton and the Conservatives having learned the lesson of putting resources into both Marple seats will field paper candidates here and focus on Romiley and Gatley. These four seats will be taken from the LibDems, only marginally (except Offerton where LibDems will be battered) but nevertheless taken. LibDems will then have 25 seats and Labour will have 23 seats. Labour's renegade Green Party Councillor will come back into the fold making 24. Then there will be one defection from LibDem to Labour which will happen in 2013.....BINGO 

The fly in the ointment could be Hazel Grove....not too sure about that one, there are a lot of fluctuating factors there.   

Bowden Guy

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 05:12:49 PM »

Well, Simone......

"He's getting on a bit now" = nice bit of ageism

"he certainly doesn't ned the money" = green-eyed monster

wheels

« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »
I agree and Labour on polling night must have been even more dissapointed not to get Sue Derbyshire in Manor dispite getting Dave Goddard by as you say a throughly nasty campaign.

Cllr Derbsyhire has tremoundous abilty and Labour were even more keen to remove her as I suspect her intellect frightens them.

Duke Fame

« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 12:11:40 PM »
Its extremly unlikely Labour would win it in my view even less so manor as you suggest. But even if Labour did win Offerton it would make not the slightest difference to the countrol of the authority as as it would merely move seats between oppostion groups.

Much more likely give current trends is that Labour will lose Daveport and Cale Green and the Lib Dems regain Offerton taking them to 30.

What current trends are these that you speak of ? You must be reading a different set of election figures to me. In example, where is your evidence for the LibDems regaining Offerton having lost it by a handful of votes (45 I THINK) when the incumbent was actually the leader of the Council ?

Because they just have to persuade 23 people to change their minds. Labour did one of their mass hatchet jobs on Offerton to win it. If there is a risk of Labour contol at Stockport town hall, I think enough people will be excecised enough to avoid the sheer horror that an incompetent bunch of self serving fools Labour are.

Lib dems just need to fight a dirtier fight next time and they can kep the plague out.

wheels

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 12:09:49 PM »
Well in the terms of Cale Green the Labour majority fell from approaching 1000 to 200 and was the biggest swing againt Labour in the whole North West and with the weak candidate they have defending next time I would expect a Lib Dem gain gain from Labour.  In terms of Offerton all we can be certain of is that this will be a Tory loss and most likely to the Lib Dems and even if it did go to Labour its affect the Lib Dem total seats would ne nil so should not be factored in.