Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
April 17, 2014, 04:48:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

Support Friends of Marple Memorial Park when you shop on-line:

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

To advertise on this site

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Local election results  (Read 6486 times)
Steptoe and Son

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2012, 05:50:27 PM »

Osbourne hasn't put a foot wrong from an economic POV.

Emergency Budget, June 2012 - Osborne's bold promises (and the reality):

1.   Growth at 2.8% by 2012.  The reality: -0.2%
2.   Deficit eliminated by 2014.   The reality: postponed until 2017 (maybe......)
3.   CPI in 2012: 2%.  The reality: 3.5%
4.   Unemployment in 2012: 7%.  The reality: 8.5%

And so on, and so on.  If that's getting it right, I hate to think what getting it wrong might look like       Shocked   

Cue Duke Fame to point out that somehow, Mr Osborne et al are in now way responsible for the above and that really, he's a good sort.   Grin
Duke Fame

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2012, 09:46:58 AM »

Osbourne hasn't put a foot wrong from an economic POV.

Emergency Budget, June 2012 - Osborne's bold promises (and the reality):

1.   Growth at 2.8% by 2012.  The reality: -0.2%
2.   Deficit eliminated by 2014.   The reality: postponed until 2017 (maybe......)
3.   CPI in 2012: 2%.  The reality: 3.5%
4.   Unemployment in 2012: 7%.  The reality: 8.5%

And so on, and so on.  If that's getting it right, I hate to think what getting it wrong might look like       Shocked   

And returning to the real world, there have been a few external shocks within those figures.

When the budgets were put together, we would have assumed growth within Europe of around 2-3% but the problems within Europe are far greater than anticipated.

The position left by Labour was horrendous, we all remember the little note left by the incompetents saying they'd spent all the money, you will recall Mervyn King saying that whoever was in power would have to make some very unpopular decisions and that's proving true.

Most intelligent people can understand that the solution to this mess is clamp down on unproductive spending, transfer the money we have to infrastructure spending. To do that. government must pare back on public services, encourage business to expand and over time it has to encourage development of more sectors in the economy because the emphasis on services makes us very vulnerable. This is not a quick fix, for the sake of the future, we can't have a quick fix.

Once people realise that the government is on the right lines, they will come round. There will always be those who think the world owes them a living and they will vote Labour but frankly, the country doesn't need them - the problem is those types will never have the get up and go to leave the country so we're stuck with them.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 09:54:58 AM »

And there we are, it would be amusing if it hadn't have been so predictable  Wink
Duke Fame

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2012, 10:21:22 AM »

And there we are, it would be amusing if it hadn't have been so predictable  Wink

Case rested:
Most intelligent people can understand
   Cheesy
Steptoe and Son

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2012, 02:40:10 PM »

You've rested your case in true tory style there Duke...you've blamed Europe, blamed the feckless hordes, and chucked an insult in.  Mind you, given the headless-chicken impression the current tories are doing, blaming Europe, attacking the feckless hordes and insulting people pretty much sums up  tory policies completely.  Grin
Duke Fame

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2012, 04:17:33 PM »

You've rested your case in true tory style there Duke...you've blamed Europe, blamed the feckless hordes, and chucked an insult in.  Mind you, given the headless-chicken impression the current tories are doing, blaming Europe, attacking the feckless hordes and insulting people pretty much sums up  tory policies completely.  Grin

I didn't know I was a Tory.

It's not a case of blaming Europe but if our main Market is skint and our home Market is struggling, then there is not going to be a fast fix. I don't think ballsup's 5 point plan is anything but a waste of money. Reducing Vat on DIY stuff will help B&Qs profits but that's about all. Retaining all the public sector workers will just drive up costs and borrowing. The last vat decreasedid nowt to stimulate the economy. The only point of merit is to spend on infrastructure projects but he knows full well that the current lot are doing that already. Ballsup is a lying bog eyed r's who was full square behind getting into the mess we are in and I don't trust him at all.

The point is, it's
doc

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »

[

Fortunately, Stockport will not fall into Labour hands.

Fortunately Dave Goddard's seat did.
Dave

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »

I didn't know I was a Tory.

....reminds me of the famous 'duck test':  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test

'If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.'    Cheesy
Deniseam

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2012, 11:38:26 AM »

Well put Dave
The Coalition's economic policies have been disastrous so far.  Balls has been proved correct in his analyisis that overdone austerity will reduce growth. The markets at the time of the General Election signalled that they were content with Labour's deficit reduction programme for a new Parliament. Osborne has indeed gone too fast because his policies are idealogically-driven.
Belly

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 01:21:02 PM »

Well put Dave
The Coalition's economic policies have been disastrous so far.  Balls has been proved correct in his analyisis that overdone austerity will reduce growth. The markets at the time of the General Election signalled that they were content with Labour's deficit reduction programme for a new Parliament. Osborne has indeed gone too fast because his policies are idealogically-driven.

I'm no fan of the conservatives but I just don't agree with the analysis above. The current Balls plan appears to be nothing more than to shovel more (borrowed) cash into the econmonic fire at a time when things are very dicey indeed due to Europe and then to cross his fingers and hope that the extra spending delivers the magic growth that is sadly lacking throughout the rest of the Euro zone. If that plan should fail (see the last 2-3 yrs of Gordon Browns government) then we would be in a catastrophic mess. Its like a betting man who has just lost his shirt after a bad gamble, borrowing more cash to bet on a 'dead cert', because its bound to come up trumps this time.

I don't like austerity as much as the next person, but I recognise that you need to cut your cloth accrdingly if you want to pay back what you owe. Much of the bleating about 'cutting too deep' has all the ring of one of those petulant children on the BBC's 'Bank of Mum and Dad' after being brought to task for their debts. We can and will get through this, we just need to knuckle down and make it happen. Hard work and enterprise is only place where 'growth' will come from, not from yet more government spending.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
Duke Fame

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 05:15:08 PM »

We can and will get through this, we just need to knuckle down and make it happen. Hard work and enterprise is only place where 'growth' will come from, not from yet more government spending.

Almost spot on, some government spending can stimulate the economy but it has to be good public spending. Money is very scarce so it needs to be used wisely. In a water shortage, water is scarce so rather than allow it to be wasted, it's restricted to providing life by drinking and future food in crops. The same applies to public spending, money is scarce, it needs to provide life and future prosperity - not wasted on something with will be fun for a year but ultimately of no use whatsoever. So, it's good that we're spending on infrastructure, roads, rail etc and diverting money from 'nice to have' public services.
simonesaffron

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2012, 06:09:51 PM »

"Knuckle down" ..."Work hard",  save your money,  spend it wisely.

Balls is this and Osborne is that and you're a dirty rascal!

All sounds like the Junior 3 economics class to me.

What was that parable about water being short? 
Duke Fame

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2012, 07:01:07 PM »

"Knuckle down" ..."Work hard",  save your money,  spend it wisely.

Balls is this and Osborne is that and you're a dirty rascal!

All sounds like the Junior 3 economics class to me.

What was that parable about water being short? 

When you have scarce resources, it must be used in the most effective way. You went to a posh school, Economics at 8 years old!
Miss Marple

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »

Well we have all now seen the election statements so let's see if our re elected members are as good at  'walking the walk as they are at talking the talk.   MIA decided not to stand a candidate this time ( against my better judgement ) but here's hoping they will stand by their election statements and work more closely with the community on issues that concern each and everyone of us  Undecided

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Bowden Guy

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »

So, what you're saying is that you personally believed that MIA should have put forward a candidate but you were outvoted or there was no support for your position?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite