Michelle Reynolds Podiatrist, Marple

Author Topic: Local election results  (Read 35709 times)

simonesaffron

Re: Local election results
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 11:36:26 AM »
Its extremly unlikely Labour would win it in my view even less so manor as you suggest. But even if Labour did win Offerton it would make not the slightest difference to the countrol of the authority as as it would merely move seats between oppostion groups.

Much more likely give current trends is that Labour will lose Daveport and Cale Green and the Lib Dems regain Offerton taking them to 30.

What current trends are these that you speak of ? You must be reading a different set of election figures to me. In example, where is your evidence for the LibDems regaining Offerton having lost it by a handful of votes (45 I THINK) when the incumbent was actually the leader of the Council ?

wheels

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 10:50:10 AM »
Its extremly unlikely Labour would win it in my view even less so manor as you suggest. But even if Labour did win Offerton it would make not the slightest difference to the countrol of the authority as as it would merely move seats between oppostion groups.

Much more likely give current trends is that Labour will lose Daveport and Cale Green and the Lib Dems regain Offerton taking them to 30.

simonesaffron

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
Hello Wheels,

What I meant to say is this.

I agree that party turncoat Councillor, John Smith will not win the election in 2014. He probably won't even stand. He's getting on a bit now and he certainly doesn't ned the money. 

Nevertheless the LibDems won't win it. They couldn't get Dave Goddard re-elected this year and they threw everything that they could think of into the campaign. No, if nothing changes Labour will win it. In fact, after the 2014 Election, Stockport Town Hall will either be Labour or LAB/LIB coalition.

Come in Duke, over and out.   

simonesaffron

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2012, 06:11:41 PM »
I can't really see how you expect the Lib Dems to loss Offerton in 2014. The Councillor up for election is John Smith a Tory. I would expect a Lib Dem gain in 2014.

wheels

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
I can't really see how you expect the Lib Dems to loss Offerton in 2014. The Councillor up for election is John Smith a Tory. I would expect a Lib Dem gain in 2014.

simonesaffron

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 12:55:37 PM »
I don't have an allegience to a particular party, I have my own views and try and see which candidate comes closest to my priorities. I'm certainly anti-Labour at the moment because of the hypocrisy and the failures on a national level as well as the questionable misuse of funds we see on a local level elsewhere in hte North west.

My question was propted because you seem to be very aware of the personalities in the local political scene. It's the sort of awareness a Labour party activist may have and your interest in Carl's party may well be driven by the national Labour party's spin machine to see the destruction of the Lib dem vote rather than a genuine hope for Carl to do well in local politics.

Duke,

Your first paragraph is entirely your prerogative as a free man in a democratic society.

The second, again I do not fully understand, neither do I follow your logic. I am aware of the local political scene but that doesn't mean that I am an "activist", and if I was why does it have to be Labour - why not any of the other parties including the LibDems ? Don't you think that you might just be seeing Reds under the bed?       

Duke Fame

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
I don't have an allegience to a particular party, I have my own views and try and see which candidate comes closest to my priorities. I'm certainly anti-Labour at the moment because of the hypocrisy and the failures on a national level as well as the questionable misuse of funds we see on a local level elsewhere in hte North west.

My question was propted because you seem to be very aware of the personalities in the local political scene. It's the sort of awareness a Labour party activist may have and your interest in Carl's party may well be driven by the national Labour party's spin machine to see the destruction of the Lib dem vote rather than a genuine hope for Carl to do well in local politics.

simonesaffron

« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 07:53:23 AM »
Si, Don't take this the wrong way but I'm doubting the sincerity of your advice to Carl. Do I take it that you have a rather strong party alligience which is not that to support Carl's party or the eventual winner?

Duke,

I am not quite sure that I completely understand all of your posting.

Everybody, that voted in the election has an allegience to the party that they voted for, and I voted, I expect that you did also. How does that  either contradict or support sincerity ?

My advice to Carl is genuine and real and  is much more sincere than his own party leaders comments which are just empty excuses. Challenging the LibDems in Marple is a real David and Goliath situation. Having fought this election Carl will recognise all that I have said to be true.

Please permit me a question to you.

If Carl had just been a paper candidate in Marple Sth but in reality had taken his team over to Romiley to  help fight the election there, then what do you think the eventual outcomes would have been in Marple Sth and Romiley?

Another thing, I don't understand what you mean (it's probably me) by the phrase ..."which is not that to support Carl's party or the eventual winner"...please explain. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
Si, Don't take this the wrong way but I'm doubting the sincerity of your advice to Carl. Do I take it that you have a rather strong party alligience which is not that to support Carl's party or the eventual winner?

simonesaffron

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2012, 05:41:18 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I would first like to thank everyone who voted for me and those who worked on the election campaign,
the Lib Dems put up the biggest fight I have ever seen in Marple, I believe I was a threat to them and
that's why they did so. The Lib Dems had unmatchable resources in Marple, which is something we need
to work on for the next election (in 2014).

I would like to echo the comments made by the Conservative Group leader Syd Lloyd who said a 34pc
turnout played its part as voters mirrored the national mood. He said: “It’s been a disappointing night
for the Conservatives on Stockport council. We have lost an exceptionally good councillor in Mick Jones
and clearly we are disappointed not to have defended Heaton North. National issues clearly impacted on
the vote. There has been an extremely low turnout across the borough and this has hit the Conservative
vote. I’m deeply disappointed and we will be regrouping in the coming days.”

I would also like to offer (and did at the count) my sincerest congratulations to Councillor Alexander.

As Syd Lloyd said we will regroup and live to fight another day.

Regards,
Carl Rydings

Hello Carl,

Welcome back, I for one am pleased that you can be gracious in defeat. You are of course quite right, you will..."live to fight another day". Of course you were a threat to the LibDems you are the opposition and you represent the only other party that could ever win a seat in Marple in the forseeable.

I wouldn't listen too much to Syd Lloyd, he's only just returned to Council (2011)after losing his own seat, (2010) he had four years as the incumbent to consolidate his position with the electorate and he lost the seat. You have only had four weeks as the challenger, so I don't think that he is any position to advise you. His assertions about low turnout and National Politics are wide off the mark. The low turnout applied to every candidate not just you, and as for National Politics the LibDems nationally are the most unpopular party in the country, yet Mrs Alexander was able to double her majority plus more. Brand new Candidates both LibDem and Labour were able to defeat established Conservative Councillors in Gatley and the Heatons. 

The fact of the matter is in these constituencies the Conservatives have no political organisation, in addition to this, instead of being selective you just stand for every seat going and in the process dilute the strengths that you have for the seats that you are strong in. There is no doubt in my mind that if you had not stood in Marple at all but moved your Marple resource to Romiley and Gatley then you probably would have won both seats. Again this is down to Syd Lloyd and the Conservative leadership. It is true to say that your party has had a disastrous year on his watch.

It is also worthy of remembrance for the next time,  that in Marple you are up against one of the strongest,local political organisations in the country. In fact it is said in LibDem circles nationally that if Marple falls so does the party. Of course you have already discovered this to your chagrin. In example of this did you know that in Sth Marple they had tellers at every single polling station right throughout the day, can yo imagine that? The lesson to be learnt is don't go again until you are ready. Don't just stand in hope because there happens to be an election that year...prepare.  Don't march until you've got the equipment and the men ! 

Duke Fame

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2012, 12:58:24 PM »
duke,you may not have noticed but there was a (wesgtern) world wide crisis, not just a UK based one. The tories werent pressing for more regulations. theyre in the bankers back pocket, with over 50% of their donations coming from the financial sector.

even camoron and clegg have given up blaming labour for eveything at this point.

This is true, the banking crisis would have happened under a government of any colour. The area in which I believe Brown was wrong was in his post 2000 years where he literally spent his way out of a boom and left the country unable to deal with the post recession period in any meaningful way. Scratching at the surface by giving people money to buy new foreign cars was an example where the old govt tried fluffy ideas without thinking things through nor having the means to do anything meaningful.

The only way to create meaningful growth is to allow businesses to expand. THat means making borrowing easier, reduce / remove business rates, remove HSE / employmelws or at least relax laws for SME's. Spending can kick start things but it has to be meaningful, simply creating a loud of lacal authority officers in strange roles will not do a thing.

Duke Fame

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2012, 12:48:38 PM »
Duke,

When I say 'we' and you say 'I' we both mean the electorate.

Before you point it out to me I know that..."a week is a long time in politics"... But it obvious to me, that David Cameron doesn't really want to win the next election, he has found government much tougher than he anticipated, he certainly doesn't need the money and he daren't resign as that would destroy all his future plans. So he has just decided to progressively commit political suicide and then he will blame the electorate (saying that they have no stomach for the fight)whilst he gallops off as Lord Cthe rest of his party will blame the LibDems. It won't matter about the LibDems as there won't be enough of them left to blame anyone.

I don't mean this to sound rude but simply I don't think you are right.

acoustician

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »
duke,you may not have noticed but there was a (wesgtern) world wide crisis, not just a UK based one. The tories werent pressing for more regulations. theyre in the bankers back pocket, with over 50% of their donations coming from the financial sector.

even camoron and clegg have given up blaming labour for eveything at this point.

Henry_

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »
I'm with Duke on pretty much all of this. A sustained economic recovery needs real economic growth which will take time and more pain. A phantom recovery of the type engineered in the final days of the last government, and based on funny money, just builds up worse problems for the future and frankly lumbers future generations with an iniquitous level of debt.

simonesaffron

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18:50 AM »
Duke,

When I say 'we' and you say 'I' we both mean the electorate.

Before you point it out to me I know that..."a week is a long time in politics"... But it obvious to me, that David Cameron doesn't really want to win the next election, he has found government much tougher than he anticipated, he certainly doesn't need the money and he daren't resign as that would destroy all his future plans. So he has just decided to progressively commit political suicide and then he will blame the electorate (saying that they have no stomach for the fight)whilst he gallops off as Lord Cthe rest of his party will blame the LibDems. It won't matter about the LibDems as there won't be enough of them left to blame anyone.