This bridge was probably rebuilt after 1606, there is a stone with the date '1606' on it on the upstream side. the bridge was doubled in width at some point in time with the new part being on the downstream side.
A few hundred years ago highways, and bridges were maintained by the parish but some bridges crossed the river that was the parish boundary so it was difficult to work out who should maintain it. This was probably the case with the bridge at Otterspool. In such cases the bridge ws deemed to be a 'County' bridge and maintained by the county, along with 100yards on highway on each side of the bridge.
In the wall outside the garden centre there is a stone that originally marked the point at which the county's responsibility ended and the Parish's started.