Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Memories of Marple!  (Read 35810 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Memories of Marple!
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2012, 11:49:02 PM »
Does anyone remember Jimmy Saville visiting the Co-op? (Many years ago!)

I do he was there for the opening of the coop or something, funny but not 3 days ago I was telling my Dad about meeting him there.

I remember the bon bon on Church Ln, the Choclate box on Stockport Rd. Going for a loaf for my Nanna at the bakers that used to be next to where the Cheshire is now. The kids boating lake and wishing the council would fill it full of water.

Marple in the mid 80's was a young boy's dream, living 2 secs from the countryside and the canal.
And the library was next door to the Bon Bon in the early '50s before it moved to where the Scout Hall is now.

Mr Fearnley's grocery(?) shop or baker, not sure which, where the extension to Hibbert Lane is now. I used to be sent for muffins for my Grandmother. And Greenhalgh's bakers on Church Lane
Weren't there a lot of bakers in Marple way back when! We must have consumed an enormous amount pf bread and cakes. Archers, Wilsons, Wrights, Nixons (currently the Rolling Pin), Fearnleys, Greenhalgh's (not the same as the chain on The Hollins), Bennison's (?) opposite The Hollins and the Co-op sold bread as well although I don't think they baked it on the premises.

There was also Glovers Dairy on the corner of Derby St, where Littlewoods is now. As a very little girl I was convinced they kept the cows behind the shop and I was very worried about them when the little boy I played with told me that Littlewoods (then where All Things Nice now is) had a slaughter house!

badger

« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2012, 09:10:06 PM »
The joiner was Frank Robinson (who's grandson, I think is Josh Robinson Excavations who has a depot at Rose Hill). Frank started at the farm on Hawk Green(now Ridge Crescent) and also had the shop on Church Lane which is now the Insurance Broker next to the Pineapple Inn, after moving from Otterspool. As far as I can remember he is/was no relation to Fred Robinson (joiner) who had the yard at Rose Hill previously, he was the one who came from the result of the Hibbert Lane extention at the rear of the baths. 

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
Not sure sorry. Ray

marveld

« Reply #74 on: April 26, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »
In the 1970s the wood yard belonged to a Mr Robinson and before that it was Alfred Fearnley. Ray

Thanks Ray. Any relation to the Robinson's that used to own the wood yard at Rose Hill, prior to ECD?

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »
In the 1970s the wood yard belonged to a Mr Robinson and before that it was Alfred Fearnley. Ray

marveld

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »
In the late 70’s whilst I was at Marple Hall, I made a mahogany coffee table in craft club (after school woodwork). I sourced the wood for the table top from a small merchant that used to be located at Otterspool Bridge, near where the miniature railway station is now. Does anyone have a bit more info on who traded there? Any photos? I kind of remember his place was not much more than small shed.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »
I used to do work for Mr & Mrs Maurice Chew who lived on Buxton Lane and their daughter who lived on Lumn Road Hyde that is about twenty years ago.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »
This comment from Heather Plevin (nee Hines) who lived in Flood Gates Cottage from 1939 to 1954 has been added to the Roman Lakes walk page on the main site but I though it was worth posting here too:

Miss Furniss's uncle Edwin lived in "Old Hall". He was then in charge of Roman Lakes etc. At weekends he was in the box office of the lake (6d entry) while his niece supervised the tea-room with helpers Mrs Harrop and "young" Phyllis from Mellor (who was at least 60 or 70 years old). I only just remember seeing dancing (music by Mr Chew)
"I only just remember seeing dancing (music by Mr Chew)" Is Heather Plevin sure about this? If she is, I'd be very interested in more information on behalf of Mr Chew Jnr's daughter and Mr Chew Snr's Granddaughter. Would it have been Mr Maurice Chew or Mr Harry Chew providing the music?

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »
Does anyone remember Jimmy Saville visiting the Co-op? (Many years ago!)

I do he was there for the opening of the coop or something, funny but not 3 days ago I was telling my Dad about meeting him there.

I remember the bon bon on Church Ln, the Choclate box on Stockport Rd. Going for a loaf for my Nanna at the bakers that used to be next to where the Cheshire is now. The kids boating lake and wishing the council would fill it full of water.

Marple in the mid 80's was a young boy's dream, living 2 secs from the countryside and the canal.
And the library was next door to the Bon Bon in the early '50s before it moved to where the Scout Hall is now.

Mr Fearnley's grocery(?) shop or baker, not sure which, where the extension to Hibbert Lane is now. I used to be sent for muffins for my Grandmother. And Greenhalgh's bakers on Church Lane

marveld

« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »
I was far too young for those kind of thoughts!

That's not what I meant, lol!  The kids were simply disappointed that they'd paid for a Swim Camp and their Olympic hero David Wilkie couldn't even be bothered to get into the pool for a swim.

alison

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »
I was far too young for those kind of thoughts! Although I do remember having my friends take the rib out of me mercilessly when he put his arm round me for the photo!

marveld

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »
I'll add just one for now - did anyone else attend the David Wilkie swimcamp that they help at the Baths and the Ridge one year - we were so starstruck! I still have my picture of me and David! Alison

At the time, I was in the 6th form at Marple Hall studying A-level art. My project was "Places for Bathing Since Roman Times". I managed to interview David Wilkie at the gym and asked him for his views on new family fun pools that were becoming popular. The one thing I recall was the disappointment of the children since David never entered the pool that year and kept his tracksuit on for the entire swim camp.

alison

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »
As the person who started this thread can I say a huge THANKS to everyone who has contributed so far. It's been brilliant seeing everyone's memories, and having them trigger other memories for me.

I'll add just one for now - did anyone else attend the David Wilkie swimcamp that they help at the Baths and the Ridge one year - we were so starstruck! I still have my picture of me and David!

Alison

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »
This comment from Heather Plevin (nee Hines) who lived in Flood Gates Cottage from 1939 to 1954 has been added to the Roman Lakes walk page on the main site but I though it was worth posting here too:

The side gardens of Mellor Lodge faced the Mill's main frontage. Our friend and neighbour Miss Ella Cecelia Furniss, an elderly lady, lived at Strawberry Hill, a lovely home near the Roman Bridge. (Ella's late father was agent for the Oldknow/Arkwright Estate). She attended Mellor Lodge - an exclusive young ladies school. I remember both Mellor and Marple Lodges standing. Also a stone house with gothic style windows [the Garden House] in the field on the Marple side of the River Goyt. It was demolished and the area became a council tip. Miss Furniss's uncle Edwin lived in "Old Hall". He was then in charge of Roman Lakes etc. At weekends he was in the box office of the lake (6d entry) while his niece supervised the tea-room with helpers Mrs Harrop and "young" Phyllis from Mellor (who was at least 60 or 70 years old). I only just remember seeing dancing (music by Mr Chew) later conditions [of the dance hall] made made it unusable and, perhaps times having changed, unwanted. Later a Mr Stan Burgess was manager of the lake. The Strawberry Hill Furniss's are buried at Mellor Church.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »
Mr.Wood coal merchant at the Marple end and at the other end was Pickups engineers they moved to 
 Sunwell Terrace Hawk Green