Marple Blasting Services | Blast Cleaning Stockport

Author Topic: Blue Plaque for Marple Aqueduct  (Read 3417 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: Blue Plaque for Marple Aqueduct
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
But it is placed now..

Yes but it took TEN YEARS! It was fitted in 2010. That's SMBC and British Waterways for you!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Water Rat

Re: Blue Plaque for Marple Aqueduct
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 10:43:11 PM »
But it is placed now - just browsing through the old postings after the dishes have been washed...

Peter

Blue Plaque for Marple Aqueduct
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 01:18:08 PM »
well spotted

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2002, 10:21:47 AM »
Judging from your responses here nobody is very interested in this. Has anyone posted an enquiry on the SMBC site as I hoped?

Anyway, an interesting snippet for you in this year's "A Guide to your Council Tax and the Council's Performance" booklet which you should have received with your council tax bill recently if you're a house-holder.

On page 29 under the topic Challenge 4 - Protecting and Promoting our Environment and Heritage - it says "12 new Blue Plaques have been unveiled in Stockport to commemorate historic sites chosen by local residents as part of Millennium celebrations."

This would appear to be a slight exaggeration, as the Aqueduct one is not fitted yet. How many of the other claims of achievements are flawed in this way I wonder?
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2002, 10:21:48 PM »
In the year 2000 SMBC said that they were going to commemorate the millennium by erecting 12 blue plaques, 1 each month of the year, on the 12 most popular sites voted by Stockport residents. One of these was the Marple Aqueduct. If you follow this link to SMBC's web site you can read all about it. They are nearly all erected, it says. Well the aqueduct one isn't and I've tried to find out why and got no answer. If you follow this link to the SMBC Forum you can see where I asked them about this in December. They have not posted any of my follow up messages asking why the original has not been answered.

Tonight I have managed to get the Local History Society a little wound up about this and I'd like everyone else to help by trying to wind SMBC up a bit too.

Please ask them in their forum why they have not answered my enquiry and why the aqueduct plaque has not been erected. Perhaps they will respond to the power of numbers!

Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website