Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Author Topic: Camp site on Brabyns Park.. but at least we ll get a public loo?  (Read 7418 times)

CTCREP

Re: Camp site on Brabyns Park.. but at least we ll get a public loo?
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 11:03:09 AM »
I see the Notice Board in Marple Memorial Park cost £2,240 and was funded by a £1,000 donation from the Marple District Centre Partnership and a £500 donation from Paul Howard Menswear shop on Market Street to commemorate 30 years of trading in Marple. The balance of £740 was raised by Friends of the Park, This is great, but also in all our parks are several Corporate Notice Boards that only advertise Stockport MBC. The current information is virtually useless, however they are of a design that could have the present panels removed and more useful ones for visitors showing where places of interest are located. With the structure already there I suspect the cost would be less than the £2,240 quoted above. 

Having spoken to some Councillors I am aware that if the subject is something they are not interested in then they are unlikely to take it further. Although there are a limited number of people contributing to this site I note that in some instances over 2000 people have read what is written here. Hopefully eventually some of those 2000 will be able to persuade our Councillors that providing information for visitors would be beneficial to the Borough.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 10:56:05 AM »
Gaz.. not sure why you think theres not a problem down there when the dog shows are on because as a daily user of Brabyns and knowing most of the other users of Brabyns, we have dreadful time with them!  I certainly dont take my children dog walking when theres a dog show on, and i tend to avoid most of the park with my dog too! Not all but a lot of the dog show people are abusive and always have been.  They get very angry if you walk through the camping site because their tied up, often caged, dogs get noisy.  They chase dogs off, some of the dogs are let loose and chase ours and are not always particularly friendly, hence the reason i wont take the kids.  There is ALWAYS a huge increase in dog poo in the park.. I'm sure most are good but these are big shows now and a lot of them arn't.  I think its a testament to the fantastic park keepers who clean all the mess up straight away to why you dont notice not just dog poo but the rubbish they leave.

Brabyns is now known as a good venue because its one of the cheapest in the country.  So we will get more.  On top of that there is no marshalling.. so we actually get a lot of people without dogs just camping for the fun of it! When organising dog shows they are supposed to peg out areas for camping but so far none of the shows have and its all over the place covering 3 fields.. THe road, I believe paid for partly by the bridge grant?  has been very damaged as it is not designed to take the weight of some of the huge caravans that they bring with them. when it rains its even worse and the fields are also churned up and the park keepers have to get the tractor out to sort it out!

If the shows are 1.  charged appropriately and policed correctly to kennel club requirements and restricted camping to the back/middle field. then ok, if they agree to repair the road too.

However the idea of the camping license is not to open it as a campsite but to get round what is currently unlawful use of the park. What it will however do is if travellers do hit the area and manage to get on there then it will be impossible to get them off it its got a camping license and THAT is the biggest issue for the village I think.  Just imagine how many travellers it would fit!!!

Having said all that.. I'm told its permitted development anyway ( this is being argued!) and so the council officer can do it without public input

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »
As for the Business Forum etc I have written to them and either got no reply or told it was not something they are interested in.

I can't comment about getting no reply becuase no correspondance has come across my desk, but it is something we are certainly interested in and looking at.  Unfortunately, it's not as easy as just buying one.

The approximate costs for the project I designed was circa £10,800.  The MBF certainly isn't sat on that kind of cash.

With the maximum grant from the Area Flexibility Fund being £1,000 and there being sensible limits on how often 1 organisation can apply (and the MBF already have applied for the maximum amount for a new Car Park Rebate Scheme - more details to follow when the scheme is ready to go live) that isn't a feasible option for funding either.

We have come up with some inventive funding options but unfortunately they don't cover the full amount.  The project isn't dead and is still being explored but until funding is secured we can't move forward.

There are also one or two other problems (such as planning permission, land owners consent, high-street advertising regulations, conservation rules, etc) that we need to get round.  Not impossible to do but issues non the less.

Some years ago I believe the Gents Outfitters in Marple offered to create an Information Board but I am unaware of it materialising - did someone stop it?

This one I know a lot about - the Gents Outfitter is my business!

In 2008 we discussed with various community bodies the options for doing something for the community to celebrate our 30th anniversary of trading in Marple.  The support was for a noticeboard.

Unfortunately, the costs for a noticeboard were higher than we had originally intended and a number of other issues (similar to those listed above) raised their head.  Unfortunately, being a single business and not a community group some of those issues were going to prove quite difficult to get round.

We therefore decided to honour the noticeboard idea in a slightly different way - we made a donation to the Friends of Marple Memorial Park organisation for them to put towards the noticeboard at the entrance to the park (more info here - http://www.marplememorialpark.org.uk/projects/entrance-improvements.html)

simonesaffron

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Shouldn't we ask why the Councillors don't view this web site? Surely anyone interested in catering for Marple and its residents should keep up to date with current views. As for the Business Forum etc I have written to them and either got no reply or told it was not something they are interested in. Some years ago I believe the Gents Outfitters in Marple offered to create an Information Board but I am unaware of it materialising - did someone stop it? As for letting people wander around until they come across local attractions, that is no way to help our local businesses or cater for people who could enjoy a day out in Marple if only they knew what was available.

Perhaps you should ask them, why don't you ? It's easy enough to do.

Duke Fame

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »
Shouldn't we ask why the Councillors don't view this web site? Surely anyone interested in catering for Marple and its residents should keep up to date with current views.

The councillors have official communication lines, I don't think councillors shoudl give favour to the handful of contributers on here at the expense of all the other people who pay their council tax.

As for the Business Forum etc I have written to them and either got no reply or told it was not something they are interested in. Some years ago I believe the Gents Outfitters in Marple offered to create an Information Board but I am unaware of it materialising - did someone stop it? As for letting people wander around until they come across local attractions, that is no way to help our local businesses or cater for people who could enjoy a day out in Marple if only they knew what was available.

Advertising is not something the council has any skills in and nor should it. I personally object to money being wasted on the council advertising itself on the back of buses or on Stockport County shirts - what do they expect people to think "oh how grand, they have a council in Stockport, I must move there and pay council tax". I'd certainly object if the council started advertising it's favoured businesses - what if they put a notice board up at Brabyns park saying the Midland was the best place for food & booze - how would the other bars / eateries feel about paying their exhorbatent business rates only for the competition to have advertising paid for. Councils should let the businesses retain as much money as possible so they can make their own promotional decisions rather than a certralised state solution.

If he business forum has considered the notice board idea and not thought it will make their members any more moeny, I'd suggest it's not really a goer.

CTCREP

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 11:26:19 AM »
Shouldn't we ask why the Councillors don't view this web site? Surely anyone interested in catering for Marple and its residents should keep up to date with current views. As for the Business Forum etc I have written to them and either got no reply or told it was not something they are interested in. Some years ago I believe the Gents Outfitters in Marple offered to create an Information Board but I am unaware of it materialising - did someone stop it? As for letting people wander around until they come across local attractions, that is no way to help our local businesses or cater for people who could enjoy a day out in Marple if only they knew what was available.

bluebelly

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 07:44:56 AM »
let peoplle explore the area,we dont need any more notice boards...

Duke Fame

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 02:49:07 PM »
Camp site would be good for local shops and businesses - as long as it's campers for a short stay,

Agreed, but when is Stockport MBC going to provide useful Information Boards that will tell the campers that shops are nearby as well as Pubs, Cafes and even the Cinema. Some Campers would welcome the knowledge that the Locks and Aqueduct are nearby, as well as Etherow Country Park and Chadkirk. Of course they could always phone Stockport MBC who's telephone number is shown on innumerable Corporate Notice Boards in our parks but what chance is there that anyone will be in the office when you want them eg at weekends.

In terms of promoting local businesses with visitors, I think that's down to the individual businesses or as a collective, the Marple Business Forum.

simonesaffron

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 01:55:39 PM »
Camp site would be good for local shops and businesses - as long as it's campers for a short stay,

Agreed, but when is Stockport MBC going to provide useful Information Boards that will tell the campers that shops are nearby as well as Pubs, Cafes and even the Cinema. Some Campers would welcome the knowledge that the Locks and Aqueduct are nearby, as well as Etherow Country Park and Chadkirk. Of course they could always phone Stockport MBC who's telephone number is shown on innumerable Corporate Notice Boards in our parks but what chance is there that anyone will be in the office when you want them eg at weekends.

I think that this is a very good point that you make. However, there is little hope of it happening whilst it is just posted on this website for a small bunch of the usual suspects to read and respond to. Councillors don't use this website neither to post on nor to read. Why don't you write to the Councillors and suggest it, or one of the several "civic societies" that we now seem to have in Marple ? In fact such a scheme would be eligible for Area Committee funding.

CTCREP

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 10:57:09 AM »

amazon

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
...could also take a bunch of flowers back to make the tent pretty, on sale at the Greenhouse... open every Sunday :-)
. Or visit the local cricket club and have a cup of tea .

gazwhite

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 02:36:39 PM »
...could also take a bunch of flowers back to make the tent pretty, on sale at the Greenhouse... open every Sunday :-)

gazwhite

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 02:34:38 PM »
They can pop in and see me at the Post Office anytime between 6am and 12.30pm... wide range of newspapers, magazines, fruit/veg, cereals, fresh milk etc etc etc...

Dutsons open from 8ish with a wide range of breakfasts/cakes/deli items etc....

Royal Scot for lunch while watching the football match/Grand Prix etc....

Take in the beauty of the Roman Lakes, a short walk away, before enjoying the delights of the Midland or Purple Pakora for an evening offering... round off Sunday with a Strawberry beer in the Norfolk...

Easy like Sunday Morning...

:-)

amazon

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
Hello,

This hasn't stemmed from that land use document has it??  Saw a woman in tears after the Stockport Express published that Curzon Rd. in Offerton would possibly have a 'traveller site' on it. 

Not that 'up' on the policy around parks and open spaces but I remember a number of comments being made about the condition of the park and infrastructure after a previous event - may have been brought up by the group 'Friends of Brabyns' to Cllr Andrew Bispham at a Marple Bridge Assoc. meeting.

From what I remember, when requesting to use the park, permission is granted or declined depending on who's asking and what the use will be - the fee set for using it is also determined on the intended use.  So for example when it's a large commercial event like the Disaster/Emergency products roadshow last year, a higher price is set than when the local football team want a pitch on a Saturday.  When booking I'm told they have to accept liability (possibly even show insurance/place a bond) for damage caused to the park.

Dog shows down there always seem pretty well organised in that there never seems to be any trouble/arguments etc... and also, never any dog poo - testament to the owners responsibility.  The camping is rather sporadic though... and rather them than me... You wouldn't catch me in a tent in Brabyns!

Camp site would be good for local shops and businesses - as long as it's campers for a short stay, certainly don't want to get hassled for lucky Heather while I'm walking the poodle.

What on a Sunday were would they shop in maple bridge .

gazwhite

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
Hello,

This hasn't stemmed from that land use document has it??  Saw a woman in tears after the Stockport Express published that Curzon Rd. in Offerton would possibly have a 'traveller site' on it. 

Not that 'up' on the policy around parks and open spaces but I remember a number of comments being made about the condition of the park and infrastructure after a previous event - may have been brought up by the group 'Friends of Brabyns' to Cllr Andrew Bispham at a Marple Bridge Assoc. meeting.

From what I remember, when requesting to use the park, permission is granted or declined depending on who's asking and what the use will be - the fee set for using it is also determined on the intended use.  So for example when it's a large commercial event like the Disaster/Emergency products roadshow last year, a higher price is set than when the local football team want a pitch on a Saturday.  When booking I'm told they have to accept liability (possibly even show insurance/place a bond) for damage caused to the park.

Dog shows down there always seem pretty well organised in that there never seems to be any trouble/arguments etc... and also, never any dog poo - testament to the owners responsibility.  The camping is rather sporadic though... and rather them than me... You wouldn't catch me in a tent in Brabyns!

Camp site would be good for local shops and businesses - as long as it's campers for a short stay, certainly don't want to get hassled for lucky Heather while I'm walking the poodle.