Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Direct Tram service from Marple to Stockport via Didsbury  (Read 4363 times)

Dave

Re: Direct Tram service from Marple to Stockport via Didsbury
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2012, 06:58:40 PM »
...By train, I meant to say!

Dave

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2012, 06:56:57 PM »
I think this must be something to do with the possible introduction of 'tram-trains' from Marple in to Manchester. There's another thread about it here on the forum. As I recall, these tram-trains will link in to the existing Metrolink lines. A new Metrolink line is currently being constructed as far as Didsbury, and I believe it is ultimately expexted to extend to Stockport.
So IF and when this all happens, it should be possible to go by tram-train from Marple to Stockport via Manchester and Didsbury. But then, you can already go from Marple to Stockport via Manchester if you really want to!

rsh

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2012, 06:19:29 PM »
Hold the front page! ;)

Has this post been split from a different topic or did I miss something? That seems like a very confident statement to make, depending on your estimation of "in the coming years". This route has been an "aspiration" of Stockport MBC for well over a decade, constantly on their wish lists, but they never make enough noise about it for it to actually go ahead.

Do you plan to make sure it will happen? Then my polling card is ready. But otherwise it sounds like spouting a random, long-standing transport policy just in time for May. What are your views on the far more feasible tram-train plans for Marple's existing line to Manchester, which genuinely could (in fact, must) happen in the coming years?

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 03:05:58 PM »
I was born in Hawk Green 1939 there was never a bus route from Marple went any where near Didsbury.  The longest route was the No 28 from Hayfield via Marple, Mersey Square. Wellington Road .Stockport Road.Plymouth Grove,Oxford Road, Lower Mosley Street. then back to Hayfield.  This finished I think in the 1970s.  The No 42 goes from Stockport Mersey Square via Didsbury to Machester.  Ray

Victor M

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
A direct tram service from Marple to Stockport via Didsbury will be put in place in the coming years, until then the bus service is very good
Sorry, I meant to say Didsbury > Stockport > Marple, specific route is to be confirmed

I unfortunately have only lived in Marple for the last 21 years so bow to Carl's more superior and lengthy knowledge but I don't know of any direct bus route between Marple & Didsbury and I don't think that a service (with change at Stockport) that takes between 1hr & 1hr 40 mins, not taking into account local traffic conditions for a journey of less than 9 miles can be called very good.

As for the proposed new Tram service for Marple I've got the pigs watered, fed and ready to fly!

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
Carl do you know something we don't? I've seen no evidence of any concrete plans for such an extension.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

PhilB

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »
Hopefully terminating at rose hill.

Carl Rydings

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 08:27:48 PM »
Sorry, I meant to say Didsbury > Stockport > Marple, specific route is to be confirmed

PhilB

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »
Direct via didsbury! Please explain how that is possible?

Carl Rydings

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 12:31:23 PM »
A direct tram service from Marple to Stockport via Didsbury will be put in place in the coming years, until then the bus service is very good.
How can it be direct via Didsbury?You sound like OJ. What happened to him?

He is standing in Hazel Grove.

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 11:34:57 AM »
A direct tram service from Marple to Stockport via Didsbury will be put in place in the coming years, until then the bus service is very good.

It's not the best route to take, the best solution is a cable car / mono rail from Marple station paid for by the closure of Rose hill

sooty2

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 10:40:17 PM »
How can it be direct via Didsbury?You sound like OJ. What happened to him?

Heritage

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 10:27:35 PM »
Quicker to walk from Marple to Stockport than get a tram via Didsbury!!

sooty2

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »
Oh really!? Evidence please?

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »
Blimey will it indeed? Where is that written down, or has Mr Cameron made a secret pledge to let us have the tram if Marple goes blue?

Seriously that is misleading in the extreme.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...