Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Footpath signs  (Read 2314 times)

marplerambler

Re: Footpath signs
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 06:13:40 PM »
Placement of footpath/bridleway signs has nothing to do with the whims of Councillors. The highway authority’s (ie Stockport Council’s) duties and powers to signpost and waymark are to be found in the Countryside Act  1968 section 27 (Signposting of footpaths and bridleways). Authorities have a duty to signpost  all public rights of way (footpaths, bridleways and byways) where they leave the metalled road maintained by the local authority. If there is a problem either ring the Stockport Council helpline with details or if there is a long standing unresolved problem chase it up through either your local councillor, the Ramblers’ Association or Stockport East Bridleways Association (SEABA). I remain strictly apolitical but I think the Councillor-bashing is unmerited in this context. I am aware of Cllrs Craig Wright and Andrew Bispham in Marple North and Shan Alexander in Marple South acting on behalf of both footpath users and residents who have encountered problems relating to Public Rights of Way. Marple’s Councillors do assist users and residents with footpath problems a great deal more than is the case in other Wards in Stockport. The local councillors in Marple succeed and remain in office despite a backlash against the massive cuts in Local Authority spending implemented by the national LibDem/ Conservative alliance because they generally work hard to deal with what ChickenLady would call ‘minor’ problems. Their attempts to resolve each of these ‘minor’ problems may only guarantee them a small number of votes but over time the cumulative effect is an increase in the number of loyal supporters. It is the resolution of numerous ‘minor’ problems over a long period which may well result in the LibDem local councillors in Marple holding on to their seats during a period of disaffection with a LibDem/ Conservative parliament.

chicken lady

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 06:51:45 PM »
I got no reply. Is no one in authority interested in promoting Marple and its surroundings?

In my humble opinion, those in authority, (councillors) are only interested in getting re-elected and therefore big, vote-catching,  local issues such as possible supermarkets. they really have no interest in what they would consider to be very minor issues.

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
The other point re the footpath sign on the way down to the canal is that it is completely obscured by trees so is completely useless!  Some common sense would seem to be lacking.

CTCREP

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:36 AM »
Regrettably we appear to have a Footpaths, Parks, Rights of Way, whatever, department in Stockport MBC who have no idea how to cater for its visitors, and not only Stockport MBC but Macclesfield, as was, as well.

Years ago I visited what was Ken's Cafe of the Middlewood Way and wondered why there was no signpost to it on the Middlewood Way. The owner said he had been refused permission by the Council on Conservation grounds. The result, despite many changes of owner, the cafe is now closed and a most welcome facility lost to the users of the Middlewood Way.

With respect to the sign first mentioned on this subject I notice there is now a signpost on the track leading down from the canal into Brabyns which points the way to the Station and Brabyns Brow. When I brought this to the notice of our local Councillors saying neither destination was of interest to the majority of visitors who perhaps would like to know that the Peak Forest Canal and Etherow Country Park were nearby, and anyway the majority of rail users would already know the way, the only response I got was that the word Station should have been a double arrow!!

With respect to signage in general I also wrote to the local Business Forum suggesting visitors would like to know what was available in the area; I got no reply. Is no one in authority interested in promoting Marple and its surroundings?

thebigshed

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 09:53:02 PM »
I walk along this path every day to and from the station and I hadn't noticed that the new sign had been moved.  I suspect its new position is at the actual start of the footpath as the bit between the last house and Winnington Road is officially still Grosvenor Road but it would have made much more sense to locate the sign at the junction by the mini roundabout.

tonyjones

Footpath signs
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
I read a post some time ago about the position of a footpath sign in Brabyns below the steps from lock 7, but cannot find the thread !

The planners have obviously realised that this was not the best location for such a sign and have removed it.

A new sign, or perhaps the one that has been removed, has been installed between the canal ,lock 7, and the juction of Winnington Road and Grosvenor Road.

The planners have thought carefully about where to site the sign and it is now located just beyond the last house and next to one of the bollards.

It can only be seen clearly from a distance of about 10 yards as the 'sign' bit is totally obscured by the trees.

Unfortunately I will not be able to walk down there on Sunday morning to see where it appears next !