Brabyns Preparatory School -Scholarships

Author Topic: Local election candidates announced  (Read 46404 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Local election candidates announced
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
The government is devolving power to local councils, giving councils more power and therefore making them more accountable.

Well I could have sworn this government was hell-bent on getting as many schools out of local authority control as possible, seizing central control of them through its academies and free schools programme.  Must be a figment of my imagination.....   ;)

Dave, if you can get the power doen to the schools and out of council meddling, I'll vote for you

alan@marple

« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2012, 11:14:37 AM »
In my opinion(and I may be wrong), thanks to the intervention of the Tories, UKIP, Labour and independents the vote will be split so as to oust the Lib Dems Out.

So if you really want to see the likes of Messrs Candler and Alexandra back and influencing the administration of Marple, you had all better make sure that you do go out and vote.

I have no time for folk and who complain about councillors and who "don't vote for any of that lot" you've got a vote USE IT

Dave

« Reply #128 on: April 20, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
The government is devolving power to local councils, giving councils more power and therefore making them more accountable.

Well I could have sworn this government was hell-bent on getting as many schools out of local authority control as possible, seizing central control of them through its academies and free schools programme.  Must be a figment of my imagination.....   ;)

marpleleaf

« Reply #127 on: April 20, 2012, 12:14:35 AM »
Another thing - the LD leaflet has this laughable claim that Shan Alexander reduced council tax. It even quotes "Joan" as thanking her.

This is utter nonsense.

The government froze council tax. The local councillors had nothing to do with it.

marpleleaf

« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2012, 12:11:42 AM »
Simon - that's the problem you have only given the result a "cursory glance" - I measured that bar chart - it exaggerates the Tory vote and reduces Labour and ignored UKIP. Therefore it is "spurious and unsourced" - the whole tactic of asking to vote because you're not the other lot is cynical and to to misrepresent the chances is a "lie".

Carl Rydings

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »
Marple leaf... I agree.. we should stand by our guns and vote for our beliefs and it is sad that not many people in Marple seem to do that! I've had many conversations over the years where people have voted liberal d because "better the devil you know"!  this fills me with horror.. especially when more conversation makes me realise they re really Labour supporters!  Got to congratulate the Liberals at least for having such a big effect there!! A labour vote is wasted here...

For many years now I've voted Green, not necessarily because I'm overly Green, but because they have no real interest in getting into parliament because IF they ever do it ll be a long time coming. As a result their candidates are never career politicians, just people who care and want to do a good job and the few Green councillors that there are across the country are very good and very popular with their communities. 

However.. I really want change in Marple.  Stockport council will I think remain Liberal at least this time.  The vote right here isn't going to have a big impact nationally however the negativity and betrayal that people feel towards the liberal s nationally I hope WILL have an impact.  I think this is one time I may well vote with my head and not my heart just simply because I want something to change right here and i want fresh blood, and this is the best opportunity we've had.... but for who?  The last numbers do suggest I should vote Tory, but this is a different time and place and many may place a protest vote against the Tories too.   

I don't understand the Lisa, surely vote for whom you agree with. Even if you haven't fully understood the issues and end up voting thicko labour, at least it means voting for someone you want to win.

Personally, on a national basis I pretty much support the coalition given the circumstances but locally I want someone who'll address the waste on the council and reduce taxation.
The good news for everyone, I feel like standing next time and I'm dead popular too.

If you want want someone who'll address the waste on the council and reduce taxation,
I believe myself and the Conservatives are the best choice, here are just a few reasons:

1. In 2010, we were the only party that pledged to freeze council tax, and we have done so for the past two years.
3. Your council tax is likely to be less under a Conservative council (such as Trafford) then a Labour or Lib Dem council.
6. Conservatives also pledged to show you how councils spend your money by making them open up their books.
4. Councils will now have to vote on big pay packets, consequently Chief Executives are paid less then their predecessors'.
5. The government is devolving power to local councils, giving councils more power and therefore making them more accountable.
6. As I run a company I am always looking to make it run more efficiently, and I will work to do the same with the council.

Duke Fame

« Reply #124 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:01 PM »
Marple leaf... I agree.. we should stand by our guns and vote for our beliefs and it is sad that not many people in Marple seem to do that! I've had many conversations over the years where people have voted liberal d because "better the devil you know"!  this fills me with horror.. especially when more conversation makes me realise they re really Labour supporters!  Got to congratulate the Liberals at least for having such a big effect there!! A labour vote is wasted here...

For many years now I've voted Green, not necessarily because I'm overly Green, but because they have no real interest in getting into parliament because IF they ever do it ll be a long time coming. As a result their candidates are never career politicians, just people who care and want to do a good job and the few Green councillors that there are across the country are very good and very popular with their communities. 

However.. I really want change in Marple.  Stockport council will I think remain Liberal at least this time.  The vote right here isn't going to have a big impact nationally however the negativity and betrayal that people feel towards the liberal s nationally I hope WILL have an impact.  I think this is one time I may well vote with my head and not my heart just simply because I want something to change right here and i want fresh blood, and this is the best opportunity we've had.... but for who?  The last numbers do suggest I should vote Tory, but this is a different time and place and many may place a protest vote against the Tories too.   

I don't understand the Lisa, surely vote for whom you agree with. Even if you haven't fully understood the issues and end up voting thicko labour, at least it means voting for someone you want to win.

Personally, on a national basis I pretty much support the coalition given the circumstances but locally I want someone who'll address the waste on the council and reduce taxation. The good news for everyone, I feel like standing next time and I'm dead popular too.

Duke Fame

« Reply #123 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:44 PM »
The vast majority of Lib Dem MPs signed a pledge, before the 2010 election, that they would not personally vote for an increase in HE tuition fees. They adopted this "posture" because they did not ever believe they would be in a position of power. NONE of that particular group of people can ever be trusted again.

Not withstanding the fact that the new fee structure is far fairer than before?

I take it you'll never vote for Labour because after their 2001 election lie? Do you recall who commissioned the Browne report? So you are voting tory then?

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #122 on: April 19, 2012, 10:28:26 PM »
The vast majority of Lib Dem MPs signed a pledge, before the 2010 election, that they would not personally vote for an increase in HE tuition fees. They adopted this "posture" because they did not ever believe they would be in a position of power. NONE of that particular group of people can ever be trusted again.
Trusting politicians? That's a new one. But you get pilloried for having your arm put up your back in a new coalition, whereas the other main parties who would have voted for the increases anyway, laugh all the way to re-election.

The moral being, you can screw the economy or give tax breaks to the rich and your time in government will soon come. But be dragged into a policy you clearly don't agree with but have to swallow to keep things on track and you are apparently unelectable ever again! British politics is incredible!
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Bowden Guy

« Reply #121 on: April 19, 2012, 09:34:45 PM »

Bowden Guy

« Reply #120 on: April 19, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
I think you'll find that the Liberal Democrats are actually "in power". And the trick with the bar charts is actually used all over the country, depending on the particular constituency. "Only the Lib Dems can stop the Conservatives/Labour in ........."

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #119 on: April 19, 2012, 09:03:19 PM »
I'll agree with one thing you said Belly...  a change in our political system is long overdue and I really didn't worry about the vote this year as I thought it was done and dusted.. how could anyone vote have voted against it? Hey ho :(

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »
I find some of the postings on here very confusing. A lot of people seeking to complain about the Lib Dems going into coalition as junior partner and then not following through on their pre-election promises. Well duh, what a surprise, they are not actually in power! Their role is to keep the conservatives on as tight a leash as they can, which they seem to be making an ok job of, when not being pilloried by vested interest media.

As for people potentially seeking to kick lib-dems out of Marple because of their 'betrayal', by then voting conservative (the real architects of government policy) then I'm obviously missing the logic.

Nationally are we to always have two party policitcs? Are we really that stupid a population? Kick out one government for being hopeless, bring in another, and then within 2 years swing back towards the previous idiots who messed it up before. My god, we really do get what we deserve don't we!

For me it beggars belief that we dismissed the opportunity to change our political system in the voting referendum. If we had sought to move towards a system where everybodies vote actually counted for something, then maybe we could have a sensible political debate. As for now, where 'Labour can't win here' is a political slogan (and also true), how can we have a real debate and a proper political choice.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »

rsh

« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2012, 06:38:04 PM »
I think we have a responsibility
as candidates and parties to show people the figures (as you have done here) and then they can see how their vote can change the outcome this year.

But I'm afraid for me this misses the point. Shouldn't we be voting because we believe in a particular candidate who is standing this year, and what they're standing for for our local area, rather than to just push a yellow or blue bar graph above a line and "change the outcome"?

I realise, I'm living in a dreamworld where policy and ideas might actually count. (Something bolder than pot holes, please).