A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: Local election candidates announced  (Read 46411 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Local election candidates announced
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Heritage - I'm a huge fan of Private Eye's From the Messageboards, so I understand where you are coming from.

Dukey - you say there are other important issues - I agree - which is why it's important to scrutinise the character and quality of the candidates.

As much as some people are "bored" of the supermarket issue it is very important to the future of Marple, whatever conclusion you come to.

I have some sympathy with the "get off your arse" view - but these things are all a matter of degree. Expressing an opinion on a forum or in a pub or school gate is one step on a very, very long tail of community awareness and participation. Standing for office and serving as a councillor is another. But so is getting involved in local sports clubs as I do, as Howard does, and so is organising the festivals which have been hugely important to Marple's self confidence and self image.

This campaign is an opportunity to look beyond it and have an important public discussion about what kind of town we live in - what the civic society have put together is inspiring - the Portas Pilot bid was uplifting - but you can't view them in isolation.

You also have to weigh up the local political angles. The Lib Dems are fighting tooth and nail for Marple because it is highly likely they will drop seats in other parts of Stockport making a "coalition council" all the more likely. That's why this election is important.

I agree, it's one of many issues. I don't mind a coalition town hall as long as Labour are no part of it.

I'd be interested in Shan's take on what she should have divulged when the reality is the thing is hot air at the moment.

marpleleaf

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
Heritage - I'm a huge fan of Private Eye's From the Messageboards, so I understand where you are coming from.

Dukey - you say there are other important issues - I agree - which is why it's important to scrutinise the character and quality of the candidates.

As much as some people are "bored" of the supermarket issue it is very important to the future of Marple, whatever conclusion you come to.

I have some sympathy with the "get off your arse" view - but these things are all a matter of degree. Expressing an opinion on a forum or in a pub or school gate is one step on a very, very long tail of community awareness and participation. Standing for office and serving as a councillor is another. But so is getting involved in local sports clubs as I do, as Howard does, and so is organising the festivals which have been hugely important to Marple's self confidence and self image.

This campaign is an opportunity to look beyond it and have an important public discussion about what kind of town we live in - what the civic society have put together is inspiring - the Portas Pilot bid was uplifting - but you can't view them in isolation.

You also have to weigh up the local political angles. The Lib Dems are fighting tooth and nail for Marple because it is highly likely they will drop seats in other parts of Stockport making a "coalition council" all the more likely. That's why this election is important.

Dave

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »
Miss M writes 'how candidates behave in relation to the issues - like a major development on Hibbert Lane - is how you assess their fitness to serve as our representatives.'
I think that's absolutely right, and more important in local elections than party politics. That's why I will not be voting for any anti-supermarket candidate this time.  I expect my elected representatives to have the guts to stand up for education and other vital public services,  not to cave in weakly to noisy minority pressure groups.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2012, 07:01:20 AM »
Admin

Would you please consider posting the election address of all the Marple Councillors who are seeking re election?

A photo of them all would be most helpful

The names and election addresses of candidates are in this post (attached pdfs).

http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=4272.msg23303#msg23303

Don't have photos of all candidates, so can't do that Alan.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Heritage

« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2012, 06:34:16 AM »
This thread threatens to descend into another alleged supermarket non-issue topic....but in answer to your question, Miss Marple, about where I have been since 2011....well...I've been reading your posts on the forum....which is precisely why I made my comment! At least you provide a chuckle!!  ;D

alan@marple

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2012, 12:46:03 AM »
Admin

Would you please consider posting the election address of all the Marple Councillors who are seeking re election?

A photo of them all would be most helpful

Duke Fame

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
Oh Heritage where have you been since June 2011  ??? Lol  :-*

I have to say miss m, the supermarket non-issue is not the most important issue for everyone.

I want to know what prospective councillors are going to do to reduce costs and cut council tax.

Miss Marple

« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:31 PM »
Oh Heritage where have you been since June 2011  ??? Lol  :-*

marveld

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:04 PM »
With regards to Shan Alexander, I have e-mailed on 3 separate occasions in the past and not received a reply or even acknowledgement.

I emailed Shan once about 6 months ago and got nothing! Not that I make contact very often, but Craig Wright and Andrew Bispham have always responded.

Heritage

« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2012, 10:44:32 PM »
I'm not saying we're not armchair naysayers etc - just that some of the postings suggest a level of anger/ ire/ energy which would better be channelled into actually getting 'out there' and mobilising opinion, rather than re-circulating the same arguments amongst forum members who, let's be honest, are a tiny proportion of the population. It's not a matter of whether anyone is 'liked' - the forum isn't people, it's just statements. All I was saying was that those who feel energised to the level of 'Miss Marple' would better spend their time and energy doing something more positive with that energy and time than writing yet more posts about stuff they seem to factually know very little about!! No insults - just an observation!!

jethroh65

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2012, 10:33:27 PM »
remind yourselfs that councillors are on extreamly good wages,new laptops and phones and other percs of the job,so they will be no great rush to leave thier posts

The basic councillor allowance for 2010/11 was £9,554.52, alot of
our councillors after May 2011 have taken a 10% reduction (as I will).

Anything on top of that is for 'Special Responsibility' such as being the chair of a committee, or if you are
an executive councillor for a specific department like Environment, Children & Young People, Finance, etc.

Any laptops or phones are for council use only.
What is the £9,554.52 allowance supposed to cover?

jethroh65

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 10:31:05 PM »
I am of the belief that all Councillors will follow the the party line rather than the concerns of the people
they are supposed to represent.
With regards to the Supermarket on Hibbert Lane, obviously the councillors feel the majority
of "voters" are against the proposed plans so they follow suit with the up & coming elections.

With regards to Shan Alexander, I have e-mailed on 3 separate occasions in the past and not received a reply or even acknowledgement. I have in the passed received a personnel letter in response to a e-mail from our MP.
From a personnel perspective I have a negative view of our elected representative.

marpleleaf

« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »
Heritage - I don't understand you. On a forum like this we're all "armchair naysayers" and "keyboard warriors" or any other insult you wish to throw up - you included.

You are right in the sense that the issue belongs in the planning process - and that's precisely why no-one from Marple In Action is standing. It's a total non-argument. Silly is creating an argument against a non existent election campaign just because you don't like a few people involved in it.

Heritage

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 09:00:58 PM »
The only benefit of a single-issue candidate in relation to the tired supermarket issue is that it gives all of us the chance to either elect such a candidate or relegate them to a position which puts the matter where it belongs - at the end of the queue, at the head of which is a proper planning process. Somewhere in the midst of the queue are all the armchair naysayers who, in reality, speak for no-one but themselves and a few likeminded 'activists'. All rather silly.

sgk

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 08:10:45 PM »
For me, Shan Alexander has failed in her duties, and it is time to give someone else a chance.

For all the reasons Miss Marple has said.

As for the matter of her criminal conviction, well, it doesn't help.

For anyone unaware of the details of the tragic crash, details were reported here: http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/s/1185487_exmayor_pleads_guilty_over_crash and later here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/8428524.stm.

The same Manchester Evening News site has an interesting league table showing how much our locally elected representatives claimed in allowances and expenses. http://menmedia.co.uk/stockportexpress/news/politics/s/1240689_934000__the_price_of_civic_duty_in_stockport.