Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Closure of Brabyns Brow due to bridge damage.  (Read 5475 times)

Water Rat

Re: Closure of Brabyns Brow due to bridge damage.
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 01:50:42 PM »
I think the foot bridge from Marple Station is destined for Peak Rail although there seems to be a bit of a difference of opinion with the members on the Peak Rail site as to where it should go - and who is responsible - all is not well in Matlock.

I meant the old Bailey Bridge which was removed when Iron Bridge was repaired - but who really cares as it is now the 3rd of April

amazon

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 07:51:14 PM »
Don't forget the Iron Bridge has been restored - If need be the old Bailey Bridge can be utilised to make another vehicle crossing in Brabyn's Park

It's going to peak rail in Derbyshire .

sgk

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 07:26:19 PM »
Brabyns Brow was open as normal today.

Water Rat

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »
Don't forget the Iron Bridge has been restored - If need be the old Bailey Bridge can be utilised to make another vehicle crossing in Brabyn's Park

Water Rat

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 10:24:10 PM »
And with that post I changed from Junior to Full member - or is that just Mark trying a last April fool?

Water Rat

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 10:22:59 PM »
Nothing yet on the Stockport Council website as it is a weekend  - although they have relocated Dingle Hollow from Romiley (Cherry Tree) to Compstall - could this relocation be linked to 1st April?.

I can see gangs of pothole moles descending on Low Lea Road and Sat Navs being reprogrammed as we sleep tonight.

Heritage

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
Heavens above! Time for an emergency cablecar between Marple and Marple Bridge! At least Rose Hill trains will finally be busy!!  ;D

sgk

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 10:18:30 PM »
By 'eck that's going to cause some chaos. If closed then diversion will be via Romiley I guess, unless folk are able to run the Low Lea Road / Lakes Road gauntlet. 

Maybe all those Chelsea Tractors in Marple Bridge finally get some valid use ?

David myers

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
Having stopped to talk to the workmen at Marple Station yesterday who had congregated on Brabyns Brow, they told me that during a routine inspection, the engineers have found very large movements in the bridge structure and that the Brabyns Brow is having to be closed whilst a new bridge is constructed 6 months (approx).  This closure is very imminent, due to the risk of collapse and should expect the closure to be implemented as early as Monday.  This is going to severely affect both road and rail transport and would suggest that readers who commute should find an alternative route and favour Rose Hill Station for daily commutes.
April fools day by chance?

Unfortunately not, we have just been out to the purple pakora for tea and the council are placing signs, cones and monitoring devices, chaos springs to mind!

Djmell

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 06:49:28 PM »
Having stopped to talk to the workmen at Marple Station yesterday who had congregated on Brabyns Brow, they told me that during a routine inspection, the engineers have found very large movements in the bridge structure and that the Brabyns Brow is having to be closed whilst a new bridge is constructed 6 months (approx).  This closure is very imminent, due to the risk of collapse and should expect the closure to be implemented as early as Monday.  This is going to severely affect both road and rail transport and would suggest that readers who commute should find an alternative route and favour Rose Hill Station for daily commutes.

April fools day by chance?

alan@marple

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 11:16:31 AM »
Having stopped to talk to the workmen at Marple Station yesterday who had congregated on Brabyns Brow, they told me that during a routine inspection, the engineers have found very large movements in the bridge structure and that the Brabyns Brow is having to be closed whilst a new bridge is constructed 6 months (approx).  This closure is very imminent, due to the risk of collapse and should expect the closure to be implemented as early as Monday.  This is going to severely affect both road and rail transport and would suggest that readers who commute should find an alternative route and favour Rose Hill Station for daily commutes.

Thanks for the warning David, but a little late for me, it is now closed and traffic is piling up as far as Romiley and the other way- The Railway hotel!!

Barbara

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
We shall all have to troop along the towpath to Romiley munching our pasties and carrying our jerry cans!

David myers

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 10:01:00 AM »
What day is it today?
It's Sunday, silly!!

Dave

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:51:56 AM »
Yes, I heard that too.  Apparently the bridge will have to be strengthened anyway, because of the increased traffic once Tesco have built their new superstore on the car park behind Basmati. 

thebigshed

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:47 AM »
What day is it today?