All your Marple and Stockport property and financial needs under one roof

Author Topic: Stockport bidding for City status  (Read 11125 times)

Duke Fame

Re: City status
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »
What do you think of Stockport not getting city status .

Certainly Chelmsford and Perth are way more worthy candidates than Stockport. Whoever put money on St Asaph must be very happy but it's still more important historically than Stockport.

I'm not sure what the council spent on trying to get city status but whatever it was it was a waste of money. Seriously, apart from self-important idiots in the council chamber and hierarchy, who cares?

PS, topic now merged into earlier thread for completeness.

Too right, the inward investment argument is a nonsense. Businesses move and invest in an area because the area has a half decent willing workforce available at a cheap price. Reasonable real estate costs and decent infrastructure.  It's evedent that those who are keen on City status are councillors etc, nobody with a real job.

Howard

Re: City status
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2012, 08:50:51 PM »

Certainly Chelmsford and Perth are way more worthy candidates than Stockport. Whoever put money on St Asaph must be very happy but it's still more important historically than Stockport.

I'm not sure what the council spent on trying to get city status but whatever it was it was a waste of money. Seriously, apart from self-important idiots in the council chamber and hierarchy, who cares?

PS, topic now merged into earlier thread for completeness.

amazon

City status
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 08:19:18 PM »

Duke Fame

Re: Stockport bidding for City status
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2011, 12:39:21 AM »
I notice that Stockport, alongside Bolton, are to bid for City status this year - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-12414857

Personally this sounds like an expensive waste of money. I would rather live in a small town where rubbish is collected, libraries and public loos are available and flower beds are not turfed over than see money wasted on this status bid.

I note one of council leader Dave Goddards quoted advantage of Stockport is "Transport links". What planet is he on? Obviously hasnt spent half an hour queuing on the M60 when the Tesco roundabout screws up.

What do others think?

I agree, a complete waste of money. Can anyone remember the last 3 towns to get city status? Does it make you think of these places as any better than it was before?  al I can name is Sunderland, Sunderland is still a rubbish suburb of Newcastel but they've changed the signs to 'city'.

Rachael

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »
I'm sure I am not alone in finding all these covered shopping malls somewhat claustrophobic!  It is nice to come out of the overheated shops for a few minutes and see that there is still a sky out there - even if it is raining! 

I agree,  The trafford centre is going to cover its Barton Square area I heard .... its the only part of the trafford centre I like because its outside  ... I cant bear covered shopping malls, I get a serious case of cabin fever :(

Barbara

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2011, 08:42:30 AM »
I'm sure I am not alone in finding all these covered shopping malls somewhat claustrophobic!  It is nice to come out of the overheated shops for a few minutes and see that there is still a sky out there - even if it is raining! 

Dave

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
Amazon, I'd flatten the whole precinct and replace with some decent buildings. If Metrolink ever gets as far as Stockport, that might even happen (you can always hope...)

The Messenger as 'the powers that be?? - mmm, a truly surreal thought!

Miss Marple

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2011, 09:09:47 PM »
You must mean Stockport MBC, but I don't think local authorities designate areas as towns or villages. AFAIK only cities are subject to any 'official' designation. Good Luck to Stockport (we'll need it ;-)
NO !!!! not SMBC  it was a report in the messenger (blast from the past)  not but sure exactly when,  I think it may have been when they were twinning towns with other European towns

amazon

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2011, 08:37:50 PM »
sugest then what do you do .  ???

Dave

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 06:22:18 PM »
Amazon, putting a roof on the Merseyway and turning it into a mall isn't going to make it any better! On the contrary....

amazon

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 06:10:26 PM »
The Precint needs covering its not inviting when they build the new sainsburys may be a bit better .

moorendman

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 05:20:37 PM »
Stockport is a better place then many give it credit for. If you think the town centre at night is "scally central" then you have not spent a lot of time in certain parts of Manchester City centre at nighht.

Cyberman

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 08:22:55 AM »
I agree with Dave and Moonforest. I would like to like Stockport as It's my home town, but any areas with character are dying on their feet. Now the Co-op has gone there are no department stores worth visiting (Primark - no thanks!) Hillgate used to have interesting shops but last time I went there many are closed and the rest mostly sex shops. Pubs - some are OK but if you visit in the evening the scally element is a big problem. I partly blame the council - shouldn't have encouraged a huge Tesco which is too far from Merseyway/Hillgate. >:(

moonforest

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2011, 07:51:29 AM »
Mr Marple, having scallies (aka chavs in the south and neds in Scotland) is no bar to being a city. If it was, London, Manchester and Glasgow wouldn't be cities!

Dave, how often do you go to Stockport? How often do you go to Manchester or any of your stated cities?

Have you compared them thoroughly, have you driven through Stockport and Manchester? Have you stayed in either overnight?
Do you know what makes Manchester far better than Stockport.....................I know I do.

Stockport has very little in comparison to Manchester. Manchester is a buzz with life but the same can not be said for Stockport sadly.

Couldn't agree more. No two visits to Manchester are the same and there are so many aspects of the city to explore, from Affleck's Palace to China Town to museums and the Art Gallery, not to mention the street performers and the outdoor markets, the Buddhist Centre and Manchester Cathedral, the Imax 3d cinema, endless bars and restaurants.....I could go on but the list would be endless!! Stockport......well, you always know what you will find if you go there, the same old same old, no comparison.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 07:26:31 AM »
You must mean Stockport MBC, but I don't think local authorities designate areas as towns or villages. AFAIK only cities are subject to any 'official' designation. Good Luck to Stockport (we'll need it ;-)