Evolution Joinery & Building Work Evolved

Author Topic: Moving to Marple - Advice please!!  (Read 17557 times)

chicken lady

Re: Moving to Marple - Advice please!!
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 06:17:53 PM »
Asda delivers too (or are we not allowed to mention that?)  ;)

Heritage

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
Waitrose and Sainsbury's also deliver to Marple [they are busy too!] if you want slightly higher quality shopping.

Barbara

« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 03:42:19 PM »
Rather a negative posting from Ringi.  I don't think the bus service to Stockport is bad at all, and wherever you go you are going to experience heavy traffic at peak times.  And despite all the bad points, shopping in Marple isn't bad at all (forget Tesco!!).  And at my senior citizen level I can still manage to stagger up the hill from the station - even if I do pause to admire the canal when I get to it!  Hope you manage to get here to live and enjoy it as much as we have all these years.  :)

ringi

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
The trains are slower from Rose Hill and don’t run out of peak hours, however the car park at Rose Hill normally has spaces unlike Maple Station.  Both stations has about 2 trains an hour at peak times.

Decide if you are happy having to walk up a hill from the station, if not take this into account.   Some of the roads don’t get gritted,  so depending on where you live you may not be able to get out for a week or two once every few years.

There are no trains to Stockport, and the buses to Stockport are poor along with lots of traffic problems.    So Marple is great for Manchester, but not for Stockport.

There are no worthwhile supermarkets you can get to without driving out of Marple, however Tesco does diver to Marple.   The local shops are OK, if you don’t mind then not being open outside of “office hours” and can cope with having to visit many different shops.  The CO-OP is often out of stock of what you want and has often has very short “use by” date; however it is good enough if you can’t get anywhere else.

We chose to live in Maple as we wanted a bungalow and there are not many places with reasonable sized  bungalows.
Also look at Romiley as it has a better trains service to Manchester, or the area round Hazel Grove station if you care about Stockport as well as Manchester.

finetimefontaine

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »

It might be be 2012 out there but it's 1964 in Marple.

That's a little harsh. Perhaps 1994...

Harsh? It was meant to be complimentary! Fair enough, I'll compromise , meet you half-way how about 1979 ?

Howard

• Global Moderator
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2012, 10:41:12 AM »

That's a little harsh. Perhaps 1994...
Howard

gazwhite

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 10:12:41 AM »
Hi there,

My girlfriend and I are seriously thinking of buying a house in Marple and I was hoping for a little bit of advice from local residents.

It seems that Marple is a really good place to live, community spirit (confirmed by this website!), proximity to Peak District, Manchester not far on the train and pretty good schools. We've been looking around houses for the last couple of months but was really hoping for a little insider knowledge on what areas are nice / what areas should be avoided / anything that may not be obvious to an outsider or any other comments that you have about living in Marple.

Thanks v much in advance

www.marplebridgeassociation.org.uk
Facebook:  Marple Bridge & Marple Bridge Association
Twitter: @marplebridge
Youtube: MarpleBridgeTV

Enjoy.

gazwhite

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 10:11:26 AM »
Hello Jamesc

If you are going to live in greater Manchester/Cheshire/area this is as good as you'll get.

Also if you are planning children the Primary Schools are amongst the best in the country.

Houses are a bit more expensive than some areas but its worth paying the extra.

I hear there are plans to land on the moon one day.... and England may even win the World Cup.     :-p

Heritage

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:40 PM »
Great place to live - I echo that - you pays your money you takes your choice re the more scenic or more challenged areas within the locale! Just the usual rules apply: if you're even thinking remotely about starting a family, jostle into the catchment for the school that appeals to you the most. Mellor, Ludworth and St Marys in particular are well subscribed. Check the OFSTEDs and ask around. Housing stock up towards the Goyt Mill is at the cheapest end of the market. Ley Hey Park leafy, scenic and pricey. Lots of areas in between.Bottom line is : it's friendly, safe and has an amusing sideline in forums  ;D

jamesc

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:15 PM »
Thanks very much for your replies everyone. That's all really helpful information and I can't wait to find a house and move in.

James

Lily

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 10:56:57 AM »
You also have the Middlewood Way (the old railway line which runs from Rose Hill to Macclesfield), the near to being reopened footpath/bridlepath/cyclepath to Chadkirk, in fact lots of routes you can take without having to go out in a car.

We have our very own  swimming pool and small 'Carver Theatre'

The Regent Cinema is a treat where you can still book your seats (upstairs circle - loads of leg room). Ok, it's not multiplex but we get all the popular recent releases (we never go anywhere else).

We've been here for 27 years in August and live away the main road through Marple.  In fact, unless you are used to traffic I would avoid buying on the main road as the rush hour/school run traffic causes a back up, sometimes, right through the village.

All in all, as other people have said, it's a great place to live.

alan@romiley

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 03:53:54 PM »
If a terraced property suits you, you can't beat Lockside, by the canal and if you can choose a house for sale with private Parking, thats even better!

Close to the Shops, library,park, doctor,clinic Bus stops, railway, Schools, Churches Cinema, Marina and of course the "ring of bells"

Check our rightmove for SK6 6BN
“Every process in your organization has a customer, and without a customer a process has no purpose. "

Pink Panther

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:36:27 PM »
Hi James,

I have lived here 16 years and wouldnt like to move away,  I like living here , and my children have a lovely life in Marple :)

Have you any roads, areas of Marple in mind ?
I'm not up to no good, it only looks as though I am!     8)

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 09:15:40 AM »
Moved here in 1974 - think we may stay now!  Seriously, Marple is a great place to live.  :D

finetimefontaine

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 09:11:25 AM »
Hello Jamesc

If you are going to live in greater Manchester/Cheshire/area this is as good as you'll get.

Also if you are planning children the Primary Schools are amongst the best in the country.

Houses are a bit more expensive than some areas but its worth paying the extra.