A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Marple Bridge Shops must be Coining it in!  (Read 5147 times)

Lisa Oldham

Re: Marple Bridge Shops must be Coining it in!
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:07:25 AM »
can we differentiate between Brabyns car park. and Brabyns PARK car park?  The latter is rarely full and really only when the rambler groups fill it up! the disabled parking is also rarely used.. but then as there is no decent disabled access OUT of the park to Marple Bridge then that wouldn't be any use anyway

Miss C

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 06:37:49 PM »
Please don't copy Poynton! Controversially, when we moved here last year, we started off shopping at Waitrose in Poynton as I much prefer it to the Co-op in Marple which I really can't stand. However, the time it's taking to complete the roadworks and the resulting chaos where cars are stopping and starting and pedestrians are dodging traffic has made me change my supermarket allegiance. (not, I hasten to add, to the Co-op!) Please don't inflict that type of chaos onto our lovely street of shops in Marple Bridge!

Dave

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »
Another idea would be for Town Street to become one of those trendy 'Shared Space' zones, like Park Lane in Poynton is going to be.  You know, where there's no distinction between road and pavement, as few signs and barriers as possible, and cars, cyclists and pedestrians 'negotiate' their way through the area.  It sounds like an accident waiting to happen, but I understand that it can work very well.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

Heritage

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 04:05:55 PM »
Marple Bridge would be much the better if Town Street were no parking through the day except for essential vehicles. I know it's a pipe-dream, but think how nice it would be to walk and shop there if there weren't so many cars clogging up the road and large vehicles trying to snake through. In reality they have no choice.

Brabyns Brow should be pay and display whereby anyone shopping in Marple Bridge gets their money back. It would free up space for local shoppers and at the same time, Town Street should be made blue badge and resident permit only.

bluebelly

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
well said dave

Dave

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »
Would increasing the number of red '4hour' bays in Brabyns help? No
Would pay & display on the Town Street bays help? No
Would pay & display in the village put you off?We've already got it in the Town Street and Longhurst Lane car parks.
Would 'back in 5 minute' bays be successful? No
What is the best way to police parking? Enforce the current 1 hour limit
Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve parking conditions? I think they work pretty well - I often park there, and I've rarely had any difficulty

gazwhite

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:59:28 AM »
I wouldn't use the term 'coining it in'.  All the points above are valid however I will vouch for the fact that often businesses are victims of the parking issues in and around Marple Bridge.  If customers are put off by having to battle for a space on occasions, they will continue to Marple.

DJMell - I'm sorry to hear that as a blue badge holder you are struggling to park in the village.  On behalf of the Post Office in Marple Bridge I would comment that we do make a point of giving constructive feedback to people who don't use the blue badge bay outside the shop responsibly.

Brabyns car park often fills up to capacity very early on in the day - a number of people using the car park come from neighbouring New Mills to get the Manchester train at Marple - it is cheaper to get the train from Marple (significantly cheaper - so who can blame them!). 

Would increasing the number of red '4hour' bays in Brabyns help?
Would pay & display on the Town Street bays help?
Would pay & display in the village put you off?
Would 'back in 5 minute' bays be successful?
What is the best way to police parking?
Does anyone have any ideas on how to improve parking conditions?

Thanks

Gareth, The Post Office, Town Street, Marple Bridge.

Djmell

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
But what about parking in the car parks?  ok the midland car park is usually full at the moment due to the wall rebuild but theres always spaces during the day in Brabyns park.

Being partially disabled and a blue badge holder this option unfortunately doesn't work for me and the reserved spaces usually have cars parked in them not displaying badges!

Dave

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 07:51:52 AM »
It may just be the shop staff parking outside their shops so stopping the customers using the shops.  I have seen this in other locations.

I doubt it, as there is a time limit of one hour. 

Heritage

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »
The good shops will do well, serving the customer a sought-after and quality product with courtesy and efficiency. Those that don't align their business along those basic principles will struggle. The shops in Marple Bridge may fall into either camp - time, and footfall, will always tell!

Water Rat

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
Well if the car parking is an indication of prosperity for the shops - good luck to them and I hope they continue to trade in these difficult times.

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
But what about parking in the car parks?  ok the midland car park is usually full at the moment due to the wall rebuild but theres always spaces during the day in Brabyns park.

ringi

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »
It may just be the shop staff parking outside their shops so stopping the customers using the shops.  I have seen this in other locations.

For the umpteenth time I have been unable to park in Marple Bridge and had to drive on to Marple due to there being so many cars parked in and around Town Street. The shops must be making a fortune!

Djmell

Marple Bridge Shops must be Coining it in!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:03:21 PM »
For the umpteenth time I have been unable to park in Marple Bridge and had to drive on to Marple due to there being so many cars parked in and around Town Street. The shops must be making a fortune!