Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Cafe closure  (Read 3461 times)

Heritage

Re: Cafe closure
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 07:27:00 PM »
High rates always a factor, but more of a common factor to all businesses in a locality. Irrespective of rates, if enough customers patronise a store, it will be strong enough to either negotiate on rates or move premises locally and take its loyal customer base with it. Survival of the fittest....and, as said before, if a shop offers a quality and sought-after product, it will be busy day on day.

amazon

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
I noticed with sadness that Hewitts cafe, near the post office on Stockport Road, has closed. The owners will continue to run their Romiley cafe, but it is still a sad loss, not least because they provided the best cooked breakfast for miles around. They probably won't be the last of the cafes to go. I wonder how many people complaining about the threat of a multi-national supermarket coming to the town, would rather visit Costa coffee than a local concern.

Could it not be the high rates that's closing many shops don't blame costa or supermarkets .

Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 06:36:11 PM »
The same argument could be used to justify the building of a new supermarket.

Unfortunately it's a sad reflection on the sophistication of Marpelians that they prefer something any town could supply compared to a bit of individuality. the UK will be a homgenous place very soon

simon67

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:53:04 PM »
The same argument could be used to justify the building of a new supermarket.

Heritage

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 04:31:11 PM »
Always sad when a local business closes or moves. That said, it is a customer-driven society, and if a business offers what the customer wants then they will be sustainable. If enough people valued Hewitt's product, then they would have remained viable. If Costa isn't offering what Marple people want, it will be empty all day or at least unprofitable. Seems fairly busy every time I walk past!

Blossom

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:57:37 PM »
I wondered if Hewitts closing would help the Cherry Tree.

marveld

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 07:04:56 PM »
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-property-for-sale/property-33151750.html

I'm surprised The Cherry Tree cafe is still open. (Purely based on location).

simon67

Cafe closure
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »
I noticed with sadness that Hewitts cafe, near the post office on Stockport Road, has closed. The owners will continue to run their Romiley cafe, but it is still a sad loss, not least because they provided the best cooked breakfast for miles around. They probably won't be the last of the cafes to go. I wonder how many people complaining about the threat of a multi-national supermarket coming to the town, would rather visit Costa coffee than a local concern.