A M Photo-Graphics

Author Topic: A' Boards  (Read 7273 times)

Duke Fame

Re: A' Boards
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:05 PM »
Absolutely Henrietta!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 11:53:59 PM »
I have a few fiends that use wheelchairs; it is common for pavement to be blocked by ‘A boards’ as no one is willing to enforce the sensible placement of ‘A boards’, I tend to think they should all be banned.

The whole of Market Street is a pavement and has been for over 30 years. The boards don't cause that much of a problem and in some cases, such as the business occupying the floors above ground level shops, I would thing the boards are well nigh essential if potential customers are going to find the businesses concerned.

(And I loved the idea of the fiends you know who use wheelchairs  ;D)

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 08:45:39 AM »
SMBC are introducing the License scheme for A-boards on the highway - but after pressure from District Centre Partnerships, Traders Associations from across the area and an outcry at Area Committees SMBC have decided to make it a no cost license.

Details on some of the new rules governing A-boards can be found here:
http://www.marplebusinessforum.co.uk/latest-news/140-new-a-board-legislation.html

finetimefontaine

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 03:26:12 PM »
Quote from: Duke Fame link=topic=4176.msg22690#msg22690 date=[/quote
I'm not sure about Marple but the retail premises I have an interest in has a local rule of thumbe in that we all put our A bard 4 metres from our front door (straddling a gutter) and one per shop. This is to ensure the obstruction is minimal and covers a hazard moreover, it looks neat and tidy. These arrangements are far better than a ban, businesses are fleeced by the local council as it is, give them a break.

I'm surprised you see pavements blocked by A boards, I'd like to know where and If in Marple, I'm sure the Business community will correct this is a little self - regualtion.

You are certainly making sure that you get your money's worth out of this "A board" topic Duke.

Everybody doesn't have a 4 metre footway some have a lot less. In addition to this many traders just plonk them out in the morning and then go and collect them at night by which time the boards are twenty feet from where they were first sited. That's the problem self regulation has failed. Even the one's that are responsibly sited, people walk into them, for a multiplicity of reasons -not my fault, not your fault, not anybody's fault - just the fault of the "A" board because it is there. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 12:16:24 PM »
I have a few fiends that use wheelchairs; it is common for pavement to be blocked by ‘A boards’ as no one is willing to enforce the sensible placement of ‘A boards’, I tend to think they should all be banned.

I'm not sure about Marple but the retail premises I have an interest in has a local rule of thumbe in that we all put our A bard 4 metres from our front door (straddling a gutter) and one per shop. This is to ensure the obstruction is minimal and covers a hazard moreover, it looks neat and tidy. These arrangements are far better than a ban, businesses are fleeced by the local council as it is, give them a break.

I'm surprised you see pavements blocked by A boards, I'd like to know where and If in Marple, I'm sure the Business community will correct this is a little self - regualtion.

ringi

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 05:22:19 PM »

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 03:19:10 PM »
I'm not sure if someone who freely admits to be a fare dodger has the right to criticise the financial affairs of others ;D

Duke Fame

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 02:11:25 PM »
This is a non topic, Duke just likes it because it's a platform for his now predictable views; Richard Leese etc etc...

Well, since it was debated before and business communities have lobbied the council to give business a bit of a break, I'd say it was a real topic. If it wasn't worth commenting on, why did you feel the need to put forward an opinion?

Sure, I don't like Mr Leese, I've only really come across him re. the stupid Tiff idea but the more I see of him, the more I feel his motivation is his own ego & something more tangible, liquid & bankable.

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
I think most traders have the same opinion of Councils! They are there to hinder Business, and Stockport with the highest proportion of empty shops is as bad if not worse than most. How about a radical change in Business Rates, remove the need for landlords to pay rates on empty shops and make council income heavily dependent on Business Rates. You would see an amazing change in Council attitude to those who contribute so much to the local community. Link below to a draft policy on 'A' boards for retailers in Stockport - anyone want to be a shop owner?
http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s13747/6g%20Obstructions%20Policy.pdf

The obvious thing to do with business rates is to just extend corporation tax with a local corp tax. That was, councils will have an incestive to keep business flourishing rather than raping them of cash.

Claims for accidents on footways are high - so the situation cannot be left as it is.

The council could grow a pair and fight injury claims by simply tell pedestrians to watch where they are going 

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
Ban them all, they are a classic example of a pointless exercise.  Really, do A boards make a difference to the pedestrian who is walking past the shop in question anyway?  This is a non topic, Duke just likes it because it's a platform for his now predictable views; Richard Leese etc etc...

jcc

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 11:23:21 PM »
I think most traders have the same opinion of Councils! They are there to hinder Business, and Stockport with the highest proportion of empty shops is as bad if not worse than most. How about a radical change in Business Rates, remove the need for landlords to pay rates on empty shops and make council income heavily dependent on Business Rates. You would see an amazing change in Council attitude to those who contribute so much to the local community. Link below to a draft policy on 'A' boards for retailers in Stockport - anyone want to be a shop owner?
http://democracy.stockport.gov.uk/documents/s13747/6g%20Obstructions%20Policy.pdf

Duke Fame

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 12:35:31 PM »

Hello Duke,

Polite point of correction. Nothing has yet been decided about the "A" Boards or for that matter any street advertising furniture. The overriding factor here is that the Council has a legal responsibility to keep the highway/footway clear. Claims for accidents on footways are high - so the situation cannot be left as it is. They are also aware that "A" boards are free, effective advertising and they don't wish to stifle the initiative. So it is a bit of a conundrum for them.

Informing SMBC's opinion on this is that out of the 10 Authorities in AGMA, 7 of them have adopted/will be adopting a policy of zero tolerence.

For reasons best known by others Stockport has the most "A" boards in AGMA.

The Council has put forward a draft proposal of licencing and regulation (it was presented in draft at the last set of AC's) but this has a monetary cost to the vendor and has not found favour with local Councillors across Stockport, especially at a time when SMBC is supposed to be supporting the business community. The monitoring and enforcement of this scheme is also thought to be almost "unworkable" So at the moment it is back to the drawing board.

In my view Stockport will fall in line with AGMA and go for ZERO tolerence on this.   

Oh dear, so it's Dickie Leese's idea is it. Everytime that fella touches anything, it's an expensive mess that everyone except him pays for.

SMBC is supposed to be supporting the business community.
- When did they change to this policy? I'd love to see evidence.

finetimefontaine

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »

Hello Duke,

Polite point of correction. Nothing has yet been decided about the "A" Boards or for that matter any street advertising furniture. The overriding factor here is that the Council has a legal responsibility to keep the highway/footway clear. Claims for accidents on footways are high - so the situation cannot be left as it is. They are also aware that "A" boards are free, effective advertising and they don't wish to stifle the initiative. So it is a bit of a conundrum for them.

Informing SMBC's opinion on this is that out of the 10 Authorities in AGMA, 7 of them have adopted/will be adopting a policy of zero tolerence.

For reasons best known by others Stockport has the most "A" boards in AGMA.

The Council has put forward a draft proposal of licencing and regulation (it was presented in draft at the last set of AC's) but this has a monetary cost to the vendor and has not found favour with local Councillors across Stockport, especially at a time when SMBC is supposed to be supporting the business community. The monitoring and enforcement of this scheme is also thought to be almost "unworkable" So at the moment it is back to the drawing board.

In my view Stockport will fall in line with AGMA and go for ZERO tolerance on this.

Water Rat

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »
... but only because a more lucrative taxation opportunity exists with B Boards and C Boards.  Also to help with recycling have you tried D Board or to keep quiet E Board yet?

Duke Fame

A' Boards
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 04:43:52 PM »
I'm pleased that the local council have decided to allow business owners to continue to responsibly display A' boards in Stockport.

The proposal was that businesses would have to pay for displaying an A board outside their shop. Obviously, this would add further financial pressure on businesses or further costs to the customer.

Thankfully common sense has prevailed.