Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 01, 2014, 11:19:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Kumon Centre Romiley Maths and English Study Programmes

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Marple Hall School  (Read 9779 times)
Loobylou

« on: February 27, 2012, 02:59:07 PM »

Dear Posters and Readers
I am new to the area and one of my children, who is currently in primary school, could be attending Marple Hall School from September onwards. Can you please tell me, in your own words, what kind of school you consider it to be?
I am particularly interested in parents whose children have recently attended or are currently attending the school.
alison

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 05:44:44 PM »

I'm not a recent pupil, but a former one. All I can tell you is that I went back for an open day two years ago and was taken round by some very polite, articulate and amusing current pupils and I was very impressed with some of the facilities especially the drama block and the sports hall.

Alison
Bowden Guy

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

Can't say I'm a great fan. My son was there from 2001-2006 and, basically, did the bare minimum. I went to Parents Evenings every year and not one teacher ever said he might not be reaching his potential. He then went on to Cheadle & Marple and it was much the same experience, unfortunately. Luckily he "found" literature and started basically teaching himself and ended up with a First at Uni. One or two good teachers at both places, however.
hollins

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:18 PM »

It is a big school so, on the law of averages, you will get some good teachers and some bad. My two children have been very happy there and have done well academically and in "after-school" activities - primarily sport. The school has just (i.e. this month) been "done" by Ofsted, so you will soon get a chance to look at an official review. I'm happy with how it educated my children.
chicky

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:08 PM »

My children have all been extremely happy there and have come out with good results overall.  As with any school there have been one or two not so good teachers but the majority have been excellent.  There is also still lots of extra curriculum activites sport, music,drama, Duke of Edinburgh award.  I would definitely recommend this school.
Dave

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »

It is a big school so, on the law of averages, you will get some good teachers and some bad. My two children have been very happy there and have done well academically and in "after-school" activities..... I'm happy with how it educated my children.

In our case it was three children - but otherwise this was exactly our experience too.  As at any school, the quality of teaching you get is down to pot luck, really! 
Duke Fame

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »

It is a big school so, on the law of averages, you will get some good teachers and some bad. My two children have been very happy there and have done well academically and in "after-school" activities..... I'm happy with how it educated my children.

In our case it was three children - but otherwise this was exactly our experience too.  As at any school, the quality of teaching you get is down to pot luck, really! 

That's a little depressing, surely if a teacher isn't any good, the school should be getting rid? I know they've got very strong unions but letting teachers know early in their career's that teaching isn't really for them would be fairer for everyone.

gazwhite

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »

I attended the school until 1999. 

MHS is a fantastic school with some excellent achievements and fantastic staff, management team and governers. 

Marple/Bridge/Romiley/Offerton is a strange area in that it has a mix from each of the far ends of the social spectrum or demographic classification.  From what I've seen/personal experience, this vast mix brings with it some serious social problems - from either ends of the scale! 

These appear to be dealt with well by the school.  Knowing a number of people who attend, and a govenor at the school, if the child wants to do well and succeed, they will - support must come from home too I guess!

The big question I'd ask is if it intends to become an academy? (does it? - I haven't heard any more recently)
Bowden Guy

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 04:48:07 PM »

"if the child wants to do well and succeed, they will"

Pardon me, but what's the point of the school if they aren't "adding any value", to use that awful phrase?
Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »

"if the child wants to do well and succeed, they will"

Pardon me, but what's the point of the school if they aren't "adding any value", to use that awful phrase?

I think it depends on the parents. Schools are not places for parents to absolve themselves from responsibility in teaching their kids. From a sports perspective, a lad is unlikely to reach his potential from a PE lesson 2x a week and a game against another school in the short window where there is enough light after school and before the tennis season kicks in. The same applies to acedemic skills, the kids need encouraging throughout their home life.

The reality of life is that school performance is a function of teachers, parents and sociology. Parents that send their kids to private school don't really pay for better teachers but by shelling out cash, there is a good chance that their home life will be dominated by performing well as well as the other kids in the classs.
Bowden Guy

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 09:04:55 PM »

Duke, we are already "shelling out cash" for our children to attend our local school. Marple Hall gets £4461 for every one of its pupils, paid for by you, me and everyone else who contributes to this Forum - i.e. the taxpayers.
Miss C

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 09:24:21 PM »

Which surely you don't begrudge, Bowden Guy?
Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:26:46 PM »

Duke, we are already "shelling out cash" for our children to attend our local school. Marple Hall gets £4461 for every one of its pupils, paid for by you, me and everyone else who contributes to this Forum - i.e. the taxpayers.

I know, what I'm saying is kids can be bright from whatever their background but if parents haven't supported them before school & at school they don't have a hope. Thats why you can't blame the school entirely if things don't go well.

What I'm saying re splashing the cash is that parents who send their offspring to private school are really just buying a great peer group for their kids.
Bowden Guy

« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:51 PM »

Absolutely not, Miss C. I just believe we should have very high expectations of our public services. We pay a lot of money for them.
Miss C

« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2012, 10:00:14 PM »

I agree with Duke- our kids are at school for only 6 hours. It's my responsibility as a parent to support my child through school and to support my child's school in it's work with him. My experience of Marple Hall is that it has high expectations of the students and supports and encourages them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite