Brabyns Preparatory School

Author Topic: Yes We Can!  (Read 4732 times)

Heritage

Re: Yes We Can!
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 04:35:18 PM »
No-one can deny that Marple swimming pool is in dire need of either renovation or replacement....these days I admit I take our kids over to Hyde Pool for the wave machine, slide, tunnel and bubbles! Sticks in my throat to do so, but it's just far nicer and family - friendly and Hyde folk are lucky to have it [as they know....there's often a queue to get in!!}.

Duke Fame

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 07:14:07 AM »
I've changed my mind Dave, why not? Get an application in for planning permission, I've heard the college have a bit of land they want to sell, you could build a great gym & pool with a bar, restaurant etc. I really think you are on to something. You must have some equity in the house to borrow against and I can help you with a business plan. We could even sell shares in the scheme to finance it if your house doesn't cover it. Good private enterprise.

Now, the trains, I reckon we'll have to wait fir the franchise to come up on that one. In the meantime, we could buy up the trams that are being replaced and store them. I'll cut you in if you like but I think we buy the stations off network rail, develop Marple station  with shops, a cafe etc. It's a private enterprise winner.

I'll leave the private college to you, it's more your thing.

Selling shares in the scheme has to be the way, I love the hydro power scheme & the way people have put their money where their mouth is, we can do the same with the issues we raise and claim to be passionate about. In a way there are synergies in all schemes, for the leisure club to succeed, getting more affluent college kids to join means you private college will feed it and the new station will bring the in from all over the place. Private enterprise Dave, who'd have thought it

rsh

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
Hear, hear from me too.

While I can understand (and support, to an extent) the motives behind saying "NO" to a supermarket, I really hope that this doesn't lead Marple into a path of simply being a place that says "No". Imagine if we as a town had put this ferocity, this emotion into saying "YES" to something -- to supporting causes or projects that would genuinely improve the local area, like better transport. Pushing for new things to happen, rather than scaremongering people into rejecting change.

It is actually a nice trait of the area though, that people here are willing to be satisfied with their lot. There can be such a sense of self-entitlement in some people, especially radiating outwards from the capital. So it's refreshing, and an important characteristic. But yes, we absolutely must not be quite so humble. Marple is a fascinating place set in a beautiful landscape, we need to have the aspiration to see it realise the potential from that.

Luckily the "Vision for Marple" seems to have already it. If anyone hasn't looked at it yet, this should be required reading for every single resident, full of realistic aspirations to improve our lot. Forget the "NO" campaign, I want a copy of this pushed through every letter box and a "YES to Marple Vision" poster in every window...

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 03:37:15 PM »
I don't like pigeon-holing people politically....

Oh yes you do!   ;)

It's not you who'll pay the price.....someone else will end up paying the price not you

That bit really puzzles me.  Who is this other person who ends up paying the price? 

I was thinking the current shopkeepers would be paying for a better swimming pool if that were the sweetener for an Asda. I know we're getting back to taking gossip as fact.

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 03:34:36 PM »

Oh yes you do!   ;)

It's not you who'll pay the price.....someone else will end up paying the price not you

That bit really puzzles me.  Who is this other person who ends up paying the price?  I pay my taxes just like people from Cheadle Hulme and Glossop - why shouldn't I have decent trains as well?   At no point have I argued for more public spending.  I just think we need to stand up for ourselves and expect a fairer share of what's already being spent. 

Have a look at this:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16235349

I've posted that link before, but it bears revisiting.  Annual amount of taxpayers' money per head of population spent on transport infrastructure in London: £2,700 - twenty times the amount spent in the North-West (£134).   

I agree on that score, public spending in London is stupid. Bidding for the olympics was stupid. Spending in London does very little to get people back to work, if someone is unemployed in London, they are seriously not trying whilst elsewhere needs to make up for it's geographical disadvantage by improving infrastructure. The North needs direct flights to major cities, fantastic trains and roads.

By the same token, marple perhaps needs less state help than the likes of Wythenshawe.

Dave

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
No, I'd wait until it actually went pear-shaped before I spent a penny more than I had to.

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
Yes I would maintain it just in case it went pear shape ? Wouldn't you ?

Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 02:42:40 PM »
Well would you spend any more than you had to on maintaining your house if you were planning to knock it down and build a new one   ???

Miss Marple

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 02:36:52 PM »
http://www.camsfc.ac.uk/assets/file/Governors/Minutes%20of%20meetings/Corp%2009_12_08%20m.pdf
Now if CAMSFC had invested a little more  in their maintenance programme we may have a better education facility in Marple for our children.  They had the facilities given them so why have they allowed a less than adequate maintenance programme.   This makes very interesting reading in so much that CAMSFC spent huge amounts of money's in Consultancy  fees to the point that they were going into the red and applying for overdrafts to pay consultants whilst a Governor questions low amounts of monies spent on maintenance

Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »

Oh yes you do!   ;)

That bit really puzzles me.  Who is this other person who ends up paying the price?  I pay my taxes just like people from Cheadle Hulme and Glossop - why shouldn't I have decent trains as well?   At no point have I argued for more public spending.  I just think we need to stand up for ourselves and expect a fairer share of what's already being spent. 

Have a look at this:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16235349

I've posted that link before, but it bears revisiting.  Annual amount of taxpayers' money per head of population spent on transport infrastructure in London: £2,700 - twenty times the amount spent in the North-West (£134).   

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 12:50:20 PM »
That's all very well Dave and I think you've quoted me a few time there. OF course, we'd all tear down the school, train station, swimming pool etc and put something in that is better if we had the money. We possibly should demolish most of the housing in Marple and replace it with smaller flats for single dwellers / couples & smaller families with larger ones for larger families which are efficient to heat, better for the environment etc.

I perhaps should change my 24 year old car which I love, turns heads and full of character & is reliable and does 40 mpg for a Toyota Prius despite the fact I wouldn't like it much and really, it's not a priority for me to do so.

The fact is, there is a limited amount of money. The incompetent last government spent it all and times are a little harder than 5 years ago. For that reason, we need to prioritise:

The train may be a little old but for most of us, we spend 20 minutes on it, it is pretty reliable and does the job. I'd agree that I wouldn't want to spend 3 hours on a long journey but nobody has to. My suggestion of  a cost neutral solution which involves closing Rose Hill, selling off the land for housing, giving a local bus co. the licence to run a shuttle to & from Marple station is poo-poo'd. If it were possible, I'd agree with running trams out to Marple on the same line and making Marple Station a Tram / Train / Bus terminus but there will be a cost to that which will need central govt funding - in a good Keynesian way, now is perhaps the time to spend that money but the outcome will be making a rather affluent area of Gtr Manchester  even more desirable - I'd argue that perhaps we should be helping say Wythenshawe first.

The swimming pool isn't great but it does the job. Am I going to get any more exercise in a modern pool? The answer is no unless it were 50m which may help me as a strong swimmer but more likely to be daunting for most. The gym is an OK gym and a 3 minute train journey takes us to Rommily which has a pool & better gym.

The school may well have an old 1930's  façade but inside it's just like most educational establishments. The windows have been uprated and the cost of heating it cannot be too far out of line with others. Again, we'd have to offset the cost of demolition (both in £ & environmental) over and above the perceived improvements.

My big question for you Dave is who is going to pay for it all? I don't like pigeon-holing people politically but there does seem to be a typical lefty attitude that everyone else should pay and it's take take take for those who demand action but prepared to do very little in return. OK, you can say Asda  will pay but guess what, it's the small business that pays the price as well as those employed by the small businesses. It's not you who'll pay the price. I'm sure you're not selfish by nature but the unintended consequence is that someone else will end up paying the price not you which, like it or not, is inherently selfish.

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:21:16 PM »
Fantastic stuff !   See you both at area committee meetings.  It needs more people who will become pro active !  Well done ! :-\

Victor M

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »
Hear, hear. Marple always seems to be last in the queue for any large scale public body funding.

tina

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
I have to agree with you Dave, I have thought the same when reading all of the topics of late, they don't like/want change! Marple is not a sleepy little village anymore

Dave

Yes We Can!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Recently, in a thread about the possibility that our swimming pool might be demolished and replaced, someone wrote 'it may be in need of modernising but not demolishing, it's our history and also a gift to the people of Marple.'

Meanwhile, in the interminable Tesco/Asda!!! thread, someone describes the uninspiring converted secondary school which our youngsters have to study in as 'fit for purpose.'  And in a thread about our noisy and cramped local trains, one poster writes 'Uncomfortable? There are seats with cushioning, what more do you expect? Noisy? I can hold a conversation on the train so what else do you want?'

Now as we all know, there is a resistance to change which underlies all of this, and that's perfectly understandable.  But is there something else as well?   Are we, perhaps, suffering from a kind of 'poverty of aspiration'?  Other people's kids, at Cheadle and Aquinas for example, get shiny new study facilities - why not ours?  Other areas have super new swimming pools - why not Marple?  Commuters from Cheadle Hulme and Glossop, and many many other places, glide into the city in quiet, spacious comfortable trains - why not us? But we seem to just accept it.   'Mustn't grumble - just soldier on.......'

Let's snap out of it!  Why should we settle for third-best?  We need to demonstrate some of the same pride in Marple and ambition for the town that Samuel Oldknow showed back in the 19th century.

Sorry, that's a bit of a rant - I'll go and walk the dog now! :D