Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: Marple Shops V Asda  (Read 45669 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Marple Shops V Asda
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 05:59:25 PM »
Oh I think it's about time we lightened this subject up and undertook a little team building exercise game ? What do you think ?    What we have to do is when we are next in, say Littlewoods butchers, The Rolling Pin, Toy Master, The Lightning Shop, Whites Butchers, Johns, Wilson's, The Pet Shop, or whatever shop your in ! Just tell them about how a Supermarket on Hibbert Lane WILL not effect their  Business.   Now do not  get dis heartend if they roll about the floor laughing or throw you out of the shop!   NO !  Counteract their negative behaviour  with all the statistics, facts and figures and knowledge you have posted on this site and assure them how you are 100% sure that they will remain afloat and benefit from the Hibbert Lane supermarket development and it's increased foot fall  :-\  And if they dare ask how you can be so positive that their Business will survive and that they can continue to employ local people    ???  Oh now that's a tricky one ! I think you might have to say that you will get back to them on that one! But whatever you do ! Don't tell them that you have no answer to that !   Go on I dare you  ;)

chicken lady

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
 as I said earlier in this thread " if I take the car to Marple I usually park in Derby Way, walk to nearby Littlewoods butchers and Neals greengrocers, put my shopping in the car and walk over to the co-op for any other bits that I need. If I park in the co-op then I walk over to Littlewoods / Neals. It doesn't matter to me how many supermarkets there are in marple, I will continue to use the local butchers and greengrocers who provide much better quality and value for money"

walking from Hibbert Lane will be no different for me to walking from the co op car park. Personally I prefer to buy good quality and value for money meat and veg, that means independant butchers and greengrocers. So I, like many many other Marple residents will  probably use the new supermarket (if it ever happens in my lifetime!) but will continue to use independant retailers too.

Heritage

« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »
No shortage of well-supported local shops in Hazel Grove....with FOUR major retailers as well!! Don't see Parry's bakery empty very often....or the chocolate shop....or the fruit shop for that matter....and that's with the bloody awful A6 cleaving them all.....the best shops, as ever, will survive because they offer a quality product. An alleged supermarket isn't an apologist for that.

Victor M

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2012, 05:03:54 PM »
These businesses cannot lose - in fact, they can only benefit from the fact that there will be more people shopping in Marple.

Unfortunately a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane would result in most visitors driving to the site. They would then shop and leave by car, not venturing anywhere near the shops in the district centre. You just have to look at the number of people that visit Sainsbury's in Hazel Grove or Tesco in Glossop and then venture into the local shops. And both those developments are within their respective District Shopping Centres!

Heritage

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 03:50:00 PM »
Couldn't agree more. And I'm neither 'for' or 'against' an alleged new supermarket, just interested more in how that scenario would force the hand of the lesser-quality shops into either upping their game, or shutting up for one last time. It is, I reckon, actually impossible to be 'for' or 'against' such a significant alleged new retail outlet. Anything that large brings with it the need to have a view somewhere on a spectrum of opinion.

Dave

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
Agreed.  This is something I have been arguing for some months, and I'm pleased to read someone else taking the same view.  IMO the main losers, if Asda came to town, would be Boots, Superdrug, Iceland and, as you say, the Co-op.    White's, Littlewoods, Neal's, Wilson's can all expect to survive because they offer quality, and often lower prices too (compare fruit and veg prices at Wilson's and Neal's with the Co-op!).

For the rest, most of the shops in and around Market Street sell goods and services that supermarkets don't usually sell - or if they do, it's so tokenistic as to be insignificant.  I listed these a few weeks ago, but maybe it bears repeating: 
....the hairdressers, the two jewellers, the picture framer, Alan's Paints, Harmony Decor, Crafty Ladies, Sew In, Helen Winterson, Bare Necessities, the opticians, the charity shops, Paul Howard, also Harrods car spares, and the tanning salon and the chippy in Derby Way

These businesses cannot lose - in fact, they can only benefit from the fact that there will be more people shopping in Marple. 

Heritage

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:12 PM »
Point being - White's, Littlewoods and the Co-Op are appealing to different markets and - on the face of it - getting it right, because all 3 seem sustainable. So why there is so much angst about an alleged new supermarket is harder to justify. Seems to me that there is little love for the Co-Op in town, and the thumbscrews would be on THAT shop, not the quality independents, if a new player were to come on board....

Dave

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 09:08:48 AM »
With such good produce seemingly on offer at White's, coupled with Littlewoods, why does anyone buy meat from the Co-Op?

Because it's cheaper.  Simple as that. 

finetimefontaine

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 09:25:11 PM »
Because the co-op offers inflated prices, lack of variety, narrow sell by dates and very often if you go in the late evening as I used to have to do -empty shelves. 

amazon

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
With such good produce seemingly on offer at White's, coupled with Littlewoods, why does anyone buy meat from the Co-Op?

Why do people go to supermarkets rather than the coop to do ther main shop .

Heritage

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

amazon

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 08:17:55 PM »
....and how much of that list is free range and/or organic....???
the lambs and beef  and pork are all from farms which are in cheshire, which is free range.
There chickens come from yorkshire which they do barn chickens, and do free range chickens, they did a full range of organic products but there was no call for it because of the price, so no damand for it. They have gone in to other areas such as goat, venison(which was from lyme park) wild boar, bison  rib eye ( not local usa) which is all selling very well. so they have tried organic didnt work!!!

What about the croc steaks i suspect marple lakes .did you see that one on golf last night . From Florida

alex

« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
the lambs and beef  and pork are all from farms which are in cheshire, which is free range.
There chickens come from yorkshire which they do barn chickens, and do free range chickens, they did a full range of organic products but there was no call for it because of the price, so no damand for it. They have gone in to other areas such as goat, venison(which was from lyme park) wild boar, bison  rib eye ( not local usa) which is all selling very well. so they have tried organic didnt work!!!

Blossom

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2012, 07:42:22 PM »

... you can get free range meats from both butchers in marple D&S whites and littlewoods, and they get all there meats from local farmers..

So our local butchers source all their meats from local farmers do they?

Could anybody tell me where the local crocodile farm is. I may want to avoid it when out walking.

That is so funny.

Heritage

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »