Market Research Company | Marple Stockport

Author Topic: Marple Shops V Asda  (Read 45642 times)

Miss Marple

Re: Marple Shops V Asda
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2012, 08:31:33 PM »
Asda love "entrenched" views that people have held unwaiveringly from the first word of speculation.

It's actually part a real strategy for ASDA and their ilk and they refer it to as a "mirage strategy".

The idea is that everybody will have formed an opinion that they have held and argued from the onset. These opinions though are based on nothing. They have no evidential component not even a balance of probability aspect. They are an argument against the concept and not the substance for no substance has been forthcoming. Hence the name mirage.  Asda sit on the side-lines knowing that these opinions will foster and fester. With communities that have such a thing as a community website (and there aren't that many) they may even plant a poster to agitate the situation. They will deliberately give out no information, not even put in a planning application and then they will eventually come out as the voice of reason - they will
Even be seen by some to be the mediator even the community saviour.

It all sounds far fetched I know - but I have seen the mirage strategy used to great effect. It is actually an extremely powerful piece of psychology.  Asda are not fools and they pay the best brains to devise these
strategies.

Remember there are big ,big bucks at stake here - don't underestimate them. They don't fight like you all do - whatever side you're on - they're only on one - and it's not yours.  

ASDA have obviously not met me !  Let battle commence  ;)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
A number of posts trading insults and not contributing to the topic have been removed. Admin
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
I love it - straight out of John Le Carre!  Miss M is really an Asda secret agent - it's obvious. I mean, you only have to change one letter in MIA and you get CIA!   ;D

finetimefontaine

« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2012, 11:17:10 AM »
Asda love "entrenched" views that people have held unwaiveringly from the first word of speculation.

It's actually part a real strategy for ASDA and their ilk and they refer it to as a "mirage strategy".

The idea is that everybody will have formed an opinion that they have held and argued from the onset. These opinions though are based on nothing. They have no evidential component not even a balance of probability aspect. They are an argument against the concept and not the substance for no substance has been forthcoming. Hence the name mirage.  Asda sit on the side-lines knowing that these opinions will foster and fester. With communities that have such a thing as a community website (and there aren't that many) they may even plant a poster to agitate the situation. They will deliberately give out no information, not even put in a planning application and then they will eventually come out as the voice of reason - they will even be seen by some to be the mediator even the community saviour.

It all sounds far fetched I know - but I have seen the mirage strategy used to great effect. It is actually an extremely powerful piece of psychology.  Asda are not fools and they pay the best brains to devise these strategies.

Remember there are big ,big bucks at stake here - don't underestimate them. They don't fight like you all do - whatever side you're on - they're only on one - and it's not yours.   

finetimefontaine

« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2012, 10:46:38 AM »
Surreal....can't see the point of this at the moment....seems that every thread about this alleged supermarket descends into a banter between entrenched individuals with very little new material....is it fair to say that there is an absence of any real data about the shopping behaviours of Marple residents and a decent demographic study? I haven't seen one, but you can bet your bottom dollar that any alleged supermarket company will already have done that long ago. Why doesn't someone ask them under FOI instead of endlessly circling the same tired old positions?  :-[

Heritage, FOI act applies to local government -ASDA are not compliant and as they have not submitted even a pre-planning request let alone an all singing, all dancing planning application (there are of course, political reasons for this) Stockport MBC have no more information than that which is already in the public domain. So an FOIR unless you submit it to ASDA (good luck) is futile.

Dave

« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2012, 10:26:09 AM »
I did ask at Littlewoods butchers if they were concerned about the coming of the great ASDA   (or tesco/sainsburys/ lidl/ aldi), they said they were happy that their products were better quality and people would continue to buy. no contest.
Yes, Littlewoods will do just fine - even better than they already do, because there will be so many more shoppers around that bit of Marple.

Toymaster...... provide an excellent service at competetive prices.
In that case they have absolutely nothing to fear. 

sooty2

« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:25 PM »
Littlewoods butchers, The Rolling Pin, Toy Master, The Lightning Shop, Whites Butchers, Johns, Wilson's, The Pet Shop,

Isn't it sad that someone should show so little faith in these excellent and well-run local businesss.  Why should our local shops be driven out of business by a new supermarket, when similar businesses in, say, Glossop and Buxton, are doing fine. Come on, let's have a bit of self-confidence! 

As for this:
...all the statistics, facts and figures and knowledge [showing that] they will remain afloat and benefit from the Hibbert Lane supermarket development and it's increased foot fall
.....let's see the statistics, facts and figures etc that show that they won't. 
Toymaster for one is on borrowed time,if a supermarket was to be built on Hibbert Lane. They provide an excellent service at competetive prices.Their Hyde shop closed due to Asda opening in town.To close one business is bad, but two?

amazon

« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
I have said before that I do my "big shop" in sainsburys hazel grove, meat and veg locally in Marple,  top ups at Co-op or M&S or Aldi. last monday I had an appointment at Stepping Hill hospital, so went early to avoid the traffic and had a recce in Asda.  Well I have to say I was disappointed. I worked in Bolton a couple of years ago which is real Asda country and I used to shop there a lot, Hazel Grove had nothing I wanted, so if the possible Marple store is the same,  I will continue as before, big shop at sainsburys, meat and veg at local independants. New Supermarkets in Marple wont change my shopping habits.

And in answer to Miss M, I did ask at Littlewoods butchers if they were concerned about the coming of the great ASDA   (or tesco/sainsburys/ lidl/ aldi), they said they were happy that their products were better quality and people would continue to buy. no contest.

I did post months ago that asda hazel grove they are not happy about it and want out its not a proper asda store they took it over from the coop . They will most likely get rid if they get permission at the ridge

Miss Marple

« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:56 PM »
Now you do surprise me Chicken Lady because Littlewoods had the first petition going in their shop  against a supermarket long before MIA   formed.  I can honestly tell you that Whites butchers do not share their optimism

chicken lady

« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »
I have said before that I do my "big shop" in sainsburys hazel grove, meat and veg locally in Marple,  top ups at Co-op or M&S or Aldi. last monday I had an appointment at Stepping Hill hospital, so went early to avoid the traffic and had a recce in Asda.  Well I have to say I was disappointed. I worked in Bolton a couple of years ago which is real Asda country and I used to shop there a lot, Hazel Grove had nothing I wanted, so if the possible Marple store is the same,  I will continue as before, big shop at sainsburys, meat and veg at local independants. New Supermarkets in Marple wont change my shopping habits.

And in answer to Miss M, I did ask at Littlewoods butchers if they were concerned about the coming of the great ASDA   (or tesco/sainsburys/ lidl/ aldi), they said they were happy that their products were better quality and people would continue to buy. no contest.

Heritage

« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
Surreal....can't see the point of this at the moment....seems that every thread about this alleged supermarket descends into a banter between entrenched individuals with very little new material....is it fair to say that there is an absence of any real data about the shopping behaviours of Marple residents and a decent demographic study? I haven't seen one, but you can bet your bottom dollar that any alleged supermarket company will already have done that long ago. Why doesn't someone ask them under FOI instead of endlessly circling the same tired old positions?  :-[

Lisa Oldham

« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
Glossop and Buxton are doing fine... many more are too... many more are not.  The equation for success or failure has not yet been calculated! One village lives on.. another, seemingly similar, dies a death!

If Marple is not the same as Glossop or Buxton then once Asda is built it will be too late.. but we have no idea either way!

I'd prefer to make sure Marple survives until they do work out the big sum!!

I just wish they'd hurry up with the blooming planning application now!!

Miss Marple

« Reply #76 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

That's the problem Dave old boy ! We can't !  and then it maybe too late to do anything about it !   

Miss Marple

« Reply #75 on: March 06, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
No! No! Dave that's not the game !  Don't make up your own rules!  Stick to the task and then report back to the forum !  Don't tell me your not going to share your wealth of insight and knowledge with our local traders.  Come on GAME ON !!!!!!  :-*

Dave

« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 06:22:38 PM »
Littlewoods butchers, The Rolling Pin, Toy Master, The Lightning Shop, Whites Butchers, Johns, Wilson's, The Pet Shop,

Isn't it sad that someone should show so little faith in these excellent and well-run local businesss.  Why should our local shops be driven out of business by a new supermarket, when similar businesses in, say, Glossop and Buxton, are doing fine. Come on, let's have a bit of self-confidence! 

As for this:
...all the statistics, facts and figures and knowledge [showing that] they will remain afloat and benefit from the Hibbert Lane supermarket development and it's increased foot fall