A.C.M. Financial Services Ltd - for all aspects of financial planning

Author Topic: Roundabout to demolish swimming baths  (Read 25489 times)

the rover

Re: Roundabout to demolish swimming baths
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
Has nobody else who is commenting on this subject not noticed that the baths have just had Solar Panels installed all over the rear roof, I don't think that SMBC would waste that money if the baths were going to be demolised, then again this is SMBC we are talking about!

Besides the small car park did you know that you can also park in the parking area right at the back of the baths building, the permit parking does not start until near to the steps at the car park end of the baths.

Duke Fame

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:19 PM »
14 car parking places being lost would equate to about 50 visits per day to the pool, if half of those people went elsewhere then that would equate to 300+ users per week. That would certainly have an impact on the pools viability. Also loss of the places outside the pool would mean that parents wouldn't be able to stop and drop their children off easily, which would probably mean a fair number of those would go elsewhere as well. It wouldn't be the only factor but it could be the straw that broke the camels back.
Very few people using the pool use the car park, and those who do can often walk to & from the car park across the road. As said befor, the car parks will be empty as the centre of town will be dead

Miss Marple

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »
Victor M don't worry the Baths will never close !  So ASDA ( we know you follow this thread) we are one step ahead so you had better think again,that's  if your thoughts were that of Tesco who met with college staff around May 2011 and informed them that a roundabout would be where the swimming baths now stand.  !  You have had one gifted facility you will not have another ! MARPLE councillors ! (we also know you read this site with interest)  you must also take on board this issue and fight for what is right and proper.

Victor M

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2012, 08:16:02 PM »
14 car parking places being lost would equate to about 50 visits per day to the pool, if half of those people went elsewhere then that would equate to 300+ users per week. That would certainly have an impact on the pools viability. Also loss of the places outside the pool would mean that parents wouldn't be able to stop and drop their children off easily, which would probably mean a fair number of those would go elsewhere as well. It wouldn't be the only factor but it could be the straw that broke the camels back.

marpleexile

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM »
I don't think that the threat to the baths is a rumour. The baths are the oldest public swimming pool in the borough and as such take far more maintenance than the newer pools. Also the baths is only 25 yards long so isn't really suitable for competitive swimmers at county level and above, and does not have a modern teaching pool for beginners.
SMBC have already stated that the pool is running at a loss, and was at one time on a list of facilities that could close. This was very successfully fought by the local swimming club.
In these financial times the pool is under threat, any changes to the infrastructure around the pool that affects the number of visitors could well affect the viability of the pool.

Victor, you're almost certainly correct that the Pool is under threat of closure, for the reasons stated. However, they are completely unrelated to any supermarket development, and any changes to the junction layout. The car park holds, what 8 to 10 cars, and there are 3 or 4 spaces out front. Every time I try to park in that area of Marple (visits to the Dentist & Post Office mainly) they are always full. Loosing some, or all, of those spaces will make no difference to the viability of the Pool.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
I don't think that the threat to the baths is a rumour. The baths are the oldest public swimming pool in the borough and as such take far more maintenance than the newer pools. Also the baths is only 25 yards long so isn't really suitable for competitive swimmers at county level and above, and does not have a modern teaching pool for beginners.
SMBC have already stated that the pool is running at a loss, and was at one time on a list of facilities that could close. This was very successfully fought by the local swimming club.
In these financial times the pool is under threat, any changes to the infrastructure around the pool that affects the number of visitors could well affect the viability of the pool.

But surely better access by road and potentially (if you believe that argument) lots more visitors to Marple (shopping at the supermarket)  would therefore be a good thing for the baths and the number of users could grow.

Conversely if Marple Town Centre is to be decimated by a supermarket there will be a nice empty public car park on the other side of Hibbert Lane connected by a pedestrian crossing which could be used by swimmers.   ;)

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Victor M

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

Dave

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »
I've heard the campaigners in the tent on the precinct telling interested parties some of these rumours and it lets down their campaign

Me too.  And it's surely unnecessary.  I don't agree with them, as it happens, but I can see that MIA have got a perfectly reasonable case to argue, without resorting to spreading rumour and misinformation. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
A sweetener would be fine if it's guaranteed to go ahead. I can't seethe need for the Baths to go, even if the junction needs enlarging. The newsagent and the adjoining property may well go but the angle at which the baths are built means it's unlikely to get in the way.

I do think MIA should distance itself from the rumours as a lot of the noise that emanates from a conversation overheard at a bus stop appears to then get pounced upon by MIA. I've heard the campaigners in the tent on the precinct telling interested parties some of these rumours and it lets down their campaign (which overall I tend to agree with)

Miss Marple

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »
MIA have not said the baths are being demolished ! We reported what college staff who attended a meeting last year at the college with the Tesco suits were informed, and that was that the baths would be relocated.  It's what them in the know call a sweetener.   :-X   See the first post Tesco / ASDA it will explain it all

Belly

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »
Belly I don't know if you understand but some of us simple folk hold the Swimming Baths in high esteem.  This was Marple's pride and joy, it was where bands played, Mike Yarwood entertained, local children all went there to learn to swim, Billy Graham type baptisms were conducted there all this before Marple even had traffic lights. 
There was a chap who spoke at a meeting at one of the meetings held at the Buxton Lane campus who informed us of how many local children learnt to swim there and have now gone on to the Olympics.  So agreed it may be in need of modernising but not demolishing, it's our history and also a gift to the people of MARPLE.
Message to self !  if I ever win the lottery don't gift anything to Marple because some people will sell it for 30 pieces of silver  :-\

I don't doubt it. But why discuss knocking it down without any recourse to any plan to do so? That just seems to be playing on people's fears. As I've said before, if we are going to have a proper review of the proposals and mount a full and logical defence against the scheme, we must deal in facts and not (for the moment) fiction.

I can just imagine certain people thinking - "I'm objecting to this supermarket because we will lose the swimming baths", development plans come out, swimming baths still there, "oh thats ok then, I'm not so bothered now".

Miss Marple

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »
Belly I don't know if you understand but some of us simple folk hold the Swimming Baths in high esteem.  This was Marple's pride and joy, it was where bands played, Mike Yarwood entertained, local children all went there to learn to swim, Billy Graham type baptisms were conducted there all this before Marple even had traffic lights. 
There was a chap who spoke at a meeting at one of the meetings held at the Buxton Lane campus who informed us of how many local children learnt to swim there and have now gone on to the Olympics.  So agreed it may be in need of modernising but not demolishing, it's our history and also a gift to the people of MARPLE.
Message to self !  if I ever win the lottery don't gift anything to Marple because some people will sell it for 30 pieces of silver  :-\

Belly

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »
No planning application has YET been made with regard to the Stockport Road/Hibbert lane junction. However as part of the planning application the developers will have to show how improvements could be made to the infrastructure so as not to cause traffic chaos in Marple. This will no doubt cause changes to be proposed at the junction adjacent to the baths. These changes could have a negative impact on the number of people using the baths due to reductions in the number of parking spaces available in the locality and difficulty travelling there.
Also part of the proposed development on the Buxton Lane site will have to include a new dry sports facility that will probably include a Gym, open to the public. Marple swimming baths currently operates at a small loss, any changes to the revenues of the baths could result in them becoming uneconomic and thereby eventually closing.
So even though there may be NO direct proposal to demolish the baths, the proposed development on Hibbert Lane could result in the closure of the baths.

Surely thats a collection of ifs, on top of if's, on top of if's. Very little 'evidence' for any of this doomsday scenario.

What would happen if some of the expected hoardes of new people sucked into Marple by the supermarket, fancies a dip before shopping. Happy days for the swimming pool then!

I think we ought to stick to what we know, rather than what we guess.

Victor M

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »
Any idea that you will get a new baths out of this is pure fantasy. First there is no room on the Buxton lane site for a wet and dry facility + off road parking. What will happen is the baths will continue for a few years after the supermarket has been built and then to save money, because of the falling numbers,  close, long after the developer has left the area.
The record of supermarkets building new swimming pools is not good, the last ones Tesco built just included the outer shell, leaving the building empty as the council had no money to provide all the internal bits (boiler, filtration etc.)

amazon

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »
No planning application has YET been made with regard to the Stockport Road/Hibbert lane junction. However as part of the planning application the developers will have to show how improvements could be made to the infrastructure so as not to cause traffic chaos in Marple. This will no doubt cause changes to be proposed at the junction adjacent to the baths. These changes could have a negative impact on the number of people using the baths due to reductions in the number of parking spaces available in the locality and difficulty travelling there.
Also part of the proposed development on the Buxton Lane site will have to include a new dry sports facility that will probably include a Gym, open to the public. Marple swimming baths currently operates at a small loss, any changes to the revenues of the baths could result in them becoming uneconomic and thereby eventually closing.
So even though there may be NO direct proposal to demolish the baths, the proposed development on Hibbert Lane could result in the closure of the baths.

And a new more modern baths being built benefit to all less cost to smbc .