Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
September 20, 2014, 11:02:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Paul Whittaker Plumbing

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Roundabout to demolish swimming baths  (Read 5788 times)
bryonypearce18

« on: February 24, 2012, 12:16:40 PM »

I have heard rumours about ASDA/Tesco planning to situate a roundabout at the T junction right next to Marple Swimming Baths, which would result in the swimming baths being demolished, I was just wandering if anyone knows if these rumours are actually true or if it is just hearsay?

Thanks!
Dave

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:27:48 PM »

Like so much of the stuff surrounding the college/supermarket issue, this is pure speculation.  It's based on the possibility that if a planning application is submitted for the construction of a supermarket in Hibbert Lane, and in the (fairly unlikely) event that it is approved, the Council might impose a condition on it that the Hibbert Lane/Stockport Road junction must be rebuilt to cope with an increase in traffic, and that this rebuilding might entail a roundabout, which might just be so big that the baths would have to be demolished.   On the other hand, the council might do nothing of the sort..........    Wink

If this improbable scenario were to happen, however, it would probably be good news, because the council would almost certainly require the developers to fund the construction of new swimming baths on another site.  Like, er, Hibbert Lane?  Cheesy
Victor M

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:33 PM »

No planning application has YET been made with regard to the Stockport Road/Hibbert lane junction. However as part of the planning application the developers will have to show how improvements could be made to the infrastructure so as not to cause traffic chaos in Marple. This will no doubt cause changes to be proposed at the junction adjacent to the baths. These changes could have a negative impact on the number of people using the baths due to reductions in the number of parking spaces available in the locality and difficulty travelling there.
Also part of the proposed development on the Buxton Lane site will have to include a new dry sports facility that will probably include a Gym, open to the public. Marple swimming baths currently operates at a small loss, any changes to the revenues of the baths could result in them becoming uneconomic and thereby eventually closing.
So even though there may be NO direct proposal to demolish the baths, the proposed development on Hibbert Lane could result in the closure of the baths.
Dave

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:48:47 PM »

This will no doubt cause changes to be proposed at the junction adjacent to the baths. These changes could have a negative impact on the number of people using the baths due to reductions in the number of parking spaces available in the locality and difficulty travelling there....... So even though there may be NO direct proposal to demolish the baths, the proposed development on Hibbert Lane could result in the closure of the baths.

I can't see the logic of that.  Surely if road works to improve the junction simply mean losing a few parking spaces in what is already a very small car park, that in itself will not cause the baths to close. There's plenty of other parking within a short walk. 

What we need is the the baths to be demolished and the council to make Asda pay for nice shiny new baths via a Section 106 Agreement.   Grin
amazon

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »

No planning application has YET been made with regard to the Stockport Road/Hibbert lane junction. However as part of the planning application the developers will have to show how improvements could be made to the infrastructure so as not to cause traffic chaos in Marple. This will no doubt cause changes to be proposed at the junction adjacent to the baths. These changes could have a negative impact on the number of people using the baths due to reductions in the number of parking spaces available in the locality and difficulty travelling there.
Also part of the proposed development on the Buxton Lane site will have to include a new dry sports facility that will probably include a Gym, open to the public. Marple swimming baths currently operates at a small loss, any changes to the revenues of the baths could result in them becoming uneconomic and thereby eventually closing.
So even though there may be NO direct proposal to demolish the baths, the proposed development on Hibbert Lane could result in the closure of the baths.
Does anyone know we're a supermarket in the area  and I mean Bredury .stockport hazel grove Glosop Causes
Traffic chaos
Do they all go shopping at the same time .
amazon

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »

And a new more modern baths being built benefit to all less cost to smbc .
Victor M

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:34:49 PM »

Any idea that you will get a new baths out of this is pure fantasy. First there is no room on the Buxton lane site for a wet and dry facility + off road parking. What will happen is the baths will continue for a few years after the supermarket has been built and then to save money, because of the falling numbers,  close, long after the developer has left the area.
The record of supermarkets building new swimming pools is not good, the last ones Tesco built just included the outer shell, leaving the building empty as the council had no money to provide all the internal bits (boiler, filtration etc.)
Belly

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:11:05 PM »

Surely thats a collection of ifs, on top of if's, on top of if's. Very little 'evidence' for any of this doomsday scenario.

What would happen if some of the expected hoardes of new people sucked into Marple by the supermarket, fancies a dip before shopping. Happy days for the swimming pool then!

I think we ought to stick to what we know, rather than what we guess.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
Miss Marple

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:43:38 PM »

Belly I don't know if you understand but some of us simple folk hold the Swimming Baths in high esteem.  This was Marple's pride and joy, it was where bands played, Mike Yarwood entertained, local children all went there to learn to swim, Billy Graham type baptisms were conducted there all this before Marple even had traffic lights. 
There was a chap who spoke at a meeting at one of the meetings held at the Buxton Lane campus who informed us of how many local children learnt to swim there and have now gone on to the Olympics.  So agreed it may be in need of modernising but not demolishing, it's our history and also a gift to the people of MARPLE.
Message to self !  if I ever win the lottery don't gift anything to Marple because some people will sell it for 30 pieces of silver  Undecided

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Belly

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 09:15:32 AM »

Belly I don't know if you understand but some of us simple folk hold the Swimming Baths in high esteem.  This was Marple's pride and joy, it was where bands played, Mike Yarwood entertained, local children all went there to learn to swim, Billy Graham type baptisms were conducted there all this before Marple even had traffic lights. 
There was a chap who spoke at a meeting at one of the meetings held at the Buxton Lane campus who informed us of how many local children learnt to swim there and have now gone on to the Olympics.  So agreed it may be in need of modernising but not demolishing, it's our history and also a gift to the people of MARPLE.
Message to self !  if I ever win the lottery don't gift anything to Marple because some people will sell it for 30 pieces of silver  Undecided

I don't doubt it. But why discuss knocking it down without any recourse to any plan to do so? That just seems to be playing on people's fears. As I've said before, if we are going to have a proper review of the proposals and mount a full and logical defence against the scheme, we must deal in facts and not (for the moment) fiction.

I can just imagine certain people thinking - "I'm objecting to this supermarket because we will lose the swimming baths", development plans come out, swimming baths still there, "oh thats ok then, I'm not so bothered now".

Miss Marple

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 10:41:28 AM »

MIA have not said the baths are being demolished ! We reported what college staff who attended a meeting last year at the college with the Tesco suits were informed, and that was that the baths would be relocated.  It's what them in the know call a sweetener.   Lips sealed   See the first post Tesco / ASDA it will explain it all

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »

A sweetener would be fine if it's guaranteed to go ahead. I can't seethe need for the Baths to go, even if the junction needs enlarging. The newsagent and the adjoining property may well go but the angle at which the baths are built means it's unlikely to get in the way.

I do think MIA should distance itself from the rumours as a lot of the noise that emanates from a conversation overheard at a bus stop appears to then get pounced upon by MIA. I've heard the campaigners in the tent on the precinct telling interested parties some of these rumours and it lets down their campaign (which overall I tend to agree with)
Dave

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »

I've heard the campaigners in the tent on the precinct telling interested parties some of these rumours and it lets down their campaign

Me too.  And it's surely unnecessary.  I don't agree with them, as it happens, but I can see that MIA have got a perfectly reasonable case to argue, without resorting to spreading rumour and misinformation. 
Victor M

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »

I don't think that the threat to the baths is a rumour. The baths are the oldest public swimming pool in the borough and as such take far more maintenance than the newer pools. Also the baths is only 25 yards long so isn't really suitable for competitive swimmers at county level and above, and does not have a modern teaching pool for beginners.
SMBC have already stated that the pool is running at a loss, and was at one time on a list of facilities that could close. This was very successfully fought by the local swimming club.
In these financial times the pool is under threat, any changes to the infrastructure around the pool that affects the number of visitors could well affect the viability of the pool.
Belly

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »

I don't think that the threat to the baths is a rumour. The baths are the oldest public swimming pool in the borough and as such take far more maintenance than the newer pools. Also the baths is only 25 yards long so isn't really suitable for competitive swimmers at county level and above, and does not have a modern teaching pool for beginners.
SMBC have already stated that the pool is running at a loss, and was at one time on a list of facilities that could close. This was very successfully fought by the local swimming club.
In these financial times the pool is under threat, any changes to the infrastructure around the pool that affects the number of visitors could well affect the viability of the pool.

But surely better access by road and potentially (if you believe that argument) lots more visitors to Marple (shopping at the supermarket)  would therefore be a good thing for the baths and the number of users could grow.

Conversely if Marple Town Centre is to be decimated by a supermarket there will be a nice empty public car park on the other side of Hibbert Lane connected by a pedestrian crossing which could be used by swimmers.   Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite