Lawler & Co - Marple's Local Independent Estate Agent for Sales and Lettings

Author Topic: Marple Tunnel Rats  (Read 16177 times)

marveld

Re: Marple Tunnel Rats
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 09:36:40 PM »
Stockport Tunnel Rats here:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=60342

Far too risky for me!

heather

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 06:08:35 PM »
my sons only now told me that as a teenager he went in tunnels somewhere off the river in brabyns park he wouldnt have told be before as i would have wanted to go with him (it wouldnt have done much for his street cred if his mum had been with him lol)

sooty2

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 12:18:44 AM »
Please refer to my post in Tech' Questions and Support

Miss Marple

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:37 PM »
How strange is that Mrs O  twelve
MIA members have just returned from the great orm !  Now I hope your not an ASDA agent ?

sooty2

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 09:10:15 PM »
MIA members in full pot holing attire lead by Miss Marple have been seen exiting a tunnel on the Great Orme.One can only assume they were on a team building exercise?and more to the point, did they enter the tunnel on Dan Bank?

Neil Smith

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2012, 07:01:38 PM »
Also as kids we used to spend hours in the lyme kilns before they bricked the entrance up.

Neil Smith

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
forget the entrance mentioned on marple rd, what about the other end/ends where are they?

David myers

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 06:43:38 PM »
In having a pair of legs and not being over 95 years of age, having spent my childhood roaming the hills and dales with my mates, getting into scrapes and enjoying every minute of it....I consider myself an expert!! Life is for living....  ;D
Could not agree more, I am a responsible adult and am well aware of potential dangers!!! I am not about to start digging on council land, now am I???? ::)

Heritage

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »
In having a pair of legs and not being over 95 years of age, having spent my childhood roaming the hills and dales with my mates, getting into scrapes and enjoying every minute of it....I consider myself an expert!! Life is for living....  ;D

marveld

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2012, 09:29:26 PM »
David Myers: In one post you state that you've been in the old shelter and know there are no tunnels. In another post, you are getting excited that there might be if the shelter is somehow re-opened. Please explain.

I would like to warn any "tunnel rats" of the potential dangers of exploring tunnels or attempting to re-open something. My advice would be to leave these sort of adventures to the experts.

David myers

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2012, 07:51:48 PM »
Onf of my former colleagues mentioned these tunnels to me, she grew up on Stockpoirt road (still lives there) and mentioned exploring them in her youth (she's not that old either - we're talking 1980s there not 1930S!)

I think the compound for the dan banks work may have closed the entrance. Wonder if it would be easy to re-open now the compound's been removed?
Sounds promising, though confirmation that they started in the shelter would help!

nbt

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 07:22:20 PM »
Onf of my former colleagues mentioned these tunnels to me, she grew up on Stockpoirt road (still lives there) and mentioned exploring them in her youth (she's not that old either - we're talking 1980s there not 1930S!)

I think the compound for the dan banks work may have closed the entrance. Wonder if it would be easy to re-open now the compound's been removed?
NBT: Notoriously Bad Typist

David myers

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2012, 04:36:57 PM »
Information needed....have had a 2nd expedition down on Dan Bank and absolutely no tunnels at all.....was the 'tunnel story' a work of fiction?!?
I agree heritage, really disappointed as I was very excited!

Heritage

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2012, 04:32:57 PM »
Information needed....have had a 2nd expedition down on Dan Bank and absolutely no tunnels at all.....was the 'tunnel story' a work of fiction?!?

David myers

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 04:23:24 PM »
Well I've just wasted an hour of my life, I've walked the banking from rear of the houses on Stockport Road to Hilltop Drive and including the site of the old shelter but to no avail!!
There are no signs of a tunnel entrance and from memory I hung out in the shelter (on many occasions) in my youth and there were no doors leading out of it other than the entrance / exit!, trust me, if there were I would have been through them. 
Any further information would be greatly received and appreciated as I have a few other tunnels in the area that are on my to do list, which exclude the 'well known' ones. :-*