Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: What is it about Costa?  (Read 5523 times)

Heritage

Re: What is it about Costa?
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
The independents don't compete like for like with Costa...they have different markets in many but not all respects. The basic premise to remember is that they are not 'poaching' customers shop-to-shop, they are triggering more people overall to want to call for a coffee than was the case before, creating a larger overall customer base. New lanes on the motorway!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:25:26 AM »
I'm intrigued. I don't understand why Costa is so busy, seemingly at the expense of the indi's in Marple. I love the independants and use them all from time to time, yet Costa is often so busy. What can All Things Nice, Toast, Potobello and the others do to compete?

Is it just that the British are suckers for a brand? Becasue it certainly can't be because they like spending over the odds for inferior products - the independant deli's and coffee shops on the whole have a much better offering.

What do you think?
a)coffee chains are trendy,
b)gets passing trade from the bus stops,
c)some people are prepared to accept substandard coffee because they are told a) above applies

Certainly not getting trade at the expense of All Things Nice - there are queues for tables in ATN at lunch time on most days

Rachael

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 11:01:00 PM »
Space - most of the Marple indies are a little cramped.

Not sure if cramped, just very very busy ( if that makes sense ) , Mr Panther was working from home today, and asked me if I fancied going to my new very  favourite place All Things Nice, I would have , but knew to get a seat at lunch time, we would have to wait, so we got a take a way  .... it was lush ( that's the only word I can use to  describe it ) , chicken and bacon  , lovely fresh salad with dressing , with home made coleslaw and yummy , really yummy bread

I sometimes take my son after school for a catch up on his school week ,  its a good excuse for a natter, a drink and a cake, Costa would just not be the same, not a chance

richard

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 10:18:02 PM »
Costa will do well because of location and brand recognition. However they will never be able to match quality of food or service, offered locally, because of the above. Some people may want a standardised product made in a factory and over priced coffee but the indepedants will allways offer better value for money, better coffee, better food and usually at cheaper prices. Costa will do just fine with the people that want what they offer, but the independents will always be better because they care more for their customers and have a much better understanding of customers requirements than any mass market brand can offer

Belly

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Space - most of the Marple indies are a little cramped.

Dave

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 09:42:56 AM »
it certainly can't be because they like spending over the odds for inferior products - the independant deli's and coffee shops on the whole have a much better offering.

That's not my experience - the coffee at Costa is pretty good, I think, and certainly no worse than at some of the local independents.   

simonesaffron

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 08:03:29 AM »
What is it about Costa?

1/ You can always get a seat.

2/ Market Reearch by Costa.

3/ Location,Location.

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
Just thinking of Marple, I think the location of Costa plays a big part in its popularity.  It is convenient for the bus stops, and dozens of people are 'just passing' unlike several of the independents.  Btw, I have no personal preference, as I hardly ever use any of them!   ;)

Carl Rydings

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:37:18 PM »
I'm intrigued. I don't understand why Costa is so busy, seemingly at the expense of the indi's in Marple. I love the independants and use them all from time to time, yet Costa is often so busy. What can All Things Nice, Toast, Potobello and the others do to compete?

Is it just that the British are suckers for a brand? Becasue it certainly can't be because they like spending over the odds for inferior products - the independant deli's and coffee shops on the whole have a much better offering.

What do you think?

I think there's a few reasons:

1. As a country we are very brand loyal, just look at how many people don't change their gas and electricity supplier or car insurance.

2. Kind of follows the first, we are creatures of habit, you can see a Costa in most places you go, however All Things Nice, etc
are one off outlets, so everywhere you go (say to Stockport or Manchester) you have to pick a different independent store.

3. We are kind of lazy, You know what chain stores sell and at what price - Costa, McDonald's, SubWay, etc in the most have the same menu
and pricing wherever you go, independents all have different menus and pricing. I have 99p on me and I'm hungry, I know I can get a burger
in McDonald's for that, I know I like McDonald's burgers and it will be the same in Stockport, as it is in Manchester, as it is in London.

I do try to shop in independents where possible, but like most people I do like the convince and repetitiveness of chains.

stringjunior

What is it about Costa?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:15:54 PM »

What do you think?