Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 20, 2014, 10:38:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

The Bell at the Ring o' Bells

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Marple Station  (Read 9447 times)
Duke Fame

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »

No, no, no. Shut Rose Hill and sell off the land. Use the money to build the car park at Marple. Make the service accessable with a shuttle bus to/from the station which picks up /sets down at Rose hill down to dan bank

So we're going to close Rose Hill, which is far easier to access by foot for a vast majority of Marple's residential areas, in favour of the station located halfway down a steep hill which people will then need to be ferried to using a shuttle bus? I don't know where to begin...

Funding could surely be found if needed to improve the car park without selling anything. Really the newer overflow bit needs to be flattened out and completely redone, with a deck on top. There's loads of room all around it which could be used for a decked car park built on stilts.

Rose hill is a bit of a rubbish station, not for where it is but for the difficulty in providing a service that goes anywhere beyond Rose Hill. A shuttle to Marple station will be far more useful as it will open access to the trains up to the whole of Marple.

With this in mind, selling something that is of little use to get something really useful would be a step forward.
rsh

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »

With this in mind, selling something that is of little use to get something really useful would be a step forward.

97,780 passengers, and counting, would object to it being of "little use". And the "really useful" in this case would be trading it for a decked car park across platforms at Marple? Thank god that kind of 40-year old thinking is no longer shared by transport planners!

The fact that Rose Hill is a relatively quiet terminus isn't an issue, as long as the trains fill up by the time they get to Piccadilly, which they do. With the potential for tram-train to Manchester and a link into Stockport town centre, Rose Hill provides the opportunity to convert so many more car journeys into public transport.

I like the idea of a simple shuttle bus going Rose Hill - Marple centre - Marple station, like our own little Metroshuttle linking both stations into town (although I suppose the 383/384 does this already), but I think you'd find that closing Rose Hill and providing a shuttle bus to Marple wouldn't work. No-one would make that journey from Rose Hill, they'd just get in their car and drive. Welcome back to the 1970s.

Not a cat in hells chance . Of a deck on top .

I'm not sure how else the parking could be expanded. As Barbara says above, it's effectively a park and ride for people from New Mills and all around, and those park and ride projects seem to get a good amount of funding, if that's the issue.

Although I wouldn't like to see it as a priority myself... Given Rose Hill often has spare spaces to Marple's overflowing overflow, a far simpler solution would be to advertise the improved Rose Hill service at Marple (and to continue improving the Rose Hill service), encourage a few people to switch across first.
Belly

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »

Speaking as an ex-regular rail commuter to Manchester (not working there anymore) until GMPTE sort out the poor evening service at Rose Hill, it will never be an attractive option, except for prople who live close to tehe station. Any service that effectively shuts down at 6.30pm  is never going to convince people to take a risk on using it, in case they get stuck at work and stranded car-less at their destination.

Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...
Duke Fame

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »

Speaking as an ex-regular rail commuter to Manchester (not working there anymore) until GMPTE sort out the poor evening service at Rose Hill, it will never be an attractive option, except for prople who live close to tehe station. Any service that effectively shuts down at 6.30pm  is never going to convince people to take a risk on using it, in case they get stuck at work and stranded car-less at their destination.

That's always the key, whithout a regular late service, nobody wants to risk being stranded at the wrong station.
ringi

« Reply #49 on: February 22, 2012, 12:57:29 PM »

Also the lack of a 9:30 train from Rose Hill and no parking at Marple by that time.

If Rose Hill was renamed Marple Rose Hill and Marple was renamed Marple Canal, then it would be a lot easy to people to pick the best station for them.  At present the trains are not even listed next to each other on the Manchester departure board.

Belly

« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2012, 02:08:10 PM »

Also the lack of a 9:30 train from Rose Hill and no parking at Marple by that time.

Agree with the 9.30 train point - that stumped me last week when I had a meeting in Manchester. All the parking at Marple was full, as was Romiley. I ended up driving in. Not very sustainable.
[/quote]

hollins

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2012, 03:03:45 PM »

By comparison with other stations on the same line and in the general area Marple Station actually has a huge amount of free parking in its vicinity. The hard area near the ticket office is indeed limited and full by very early in the morning - but there is also a large overflow car park on the opposite side of the road and a car park in Marple Bridge only 200 yards away. Other people park on the side roads just above the canal. This is far more capacity than New Mills, Romiley etc.

I think the emphasis should be on campaigning for more and longer train services, not more spaces to dump a lump of metal that is going to do nothing all day - but then I prefer to walk to the station and keep my options open for which Marple terminus I return to in the evening.

rotten john

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 07:57:18 PM »

i agree what a shame another old piece of our history/heritage is going.destroying the marple we love,for a new type concreate (no doubt) eyesore....and using the excuse that the old bridge needs repairs etc a good sand blast and new paint
amazon

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2012, 08:45:23 PM »

i agree what a shame another old piece of our history/heritage is going.destroying the marple we love,for a new type concreate (no doubt) eyesore....and using the excuse that the old bridge needs repairs etc a good sand blast and new paint

So how do you  transport disabled people from this side to that side .dont say they get on the train this side go up to the loop back on the other side .the train goes out of service at marple comes back in service when it comes into the other side .allso drivers break time if they are not running late .
amazon

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2012, 08:54:50 PM »

By comparison with other stations on the same line and in the general area Marple Station actually has a huge amount of free parking in its vicinity. The hard area near the ticket office is indeed limited and full by very early in the morning - but there is also a large overflow car park on the opposite side of the road and a car park in Marple Bridge only 200 yards away. Other people park on the side roads just above the canal. This is far more capacity than New Mills, Romiley etc.

I think the emphasis should be on campaigning for more and longer train services, not more spaces to dump a lump of metal that is going to do nothing all day - but then I prefer to walk to the station and keep my options open for which Marple terminus I return to in the evening.

One of the problems people come from new mills shrines because it's cheaper        someone will say but they use the car to get hear It's still cheaper .

Duke Fame

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2012, 09:22:28 PM »

We are talking about Marple station here which with perhaps the exception of Euston has to be the dullest station I've ever used.

We can sometimes forget, the desire for preserving even the deserving heritage stops us from getting on. The station needs to be able to accommodate as many trains and passengers as possible. IMHO the answer is very simple, increase the car park capacity, increase the number of trains to & from, improve access by way of a Marple shuttle bus and we make the use of the station to the max.
marpleleaf

« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 04:36:41 PM »

I have to say I quite like Rose Hill station. My morning routine is to park up at Rose Hill Station, grab a Metro, get a seat, Plug in a the iPod. Get to work comfortable and ready. The train could be better, but all Northern Rail trains are pretty crap.

Unless I'm going on a train before 0730 Marple the service is gnarly, crowded and stressy.

The trains home could do with another one after 18:36 from Piccadilly, but I like it. Bear in mind too that by the time the train has gone round the Hyde loop the train fills up nicely.

And Tony Tweedy does a great job keeping the place going - a real local hero.
Duke Fame

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 09:47:33 PM »

I have to say I quite like Rose Hill station. My morning routine is to park up at Rose Hill Station, grab a Metro, get a seat, Plug in a the iPod. Get to work comfortable and ready. The train could be better, but all Northern Rail trains are pretty crap.

Unless I'm going on a train before 0730 Marple the service is gnarly, crowded and stressy.

The trains home could do with another one after 18:36 from Piccadilly, but I like it. Bear in mind too that by the time the train has gone round the Hyde loop the train fills up nicely.

And Tony Tweedy does a great job keeping the place going - a real local hero.

In fairness, if Rose hill was shut and Marple had a free multi-story car park & a train every 25 mins, would it be a more difficult commute.

Selling off Rose hill and building houses on the track bed will raise a lot of cash to improve Marple
Belly

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:44 PM »

In fairness, if Rose hill was shut and Marple had a free multi-story car park & a train every 25 mins, would it be a more difficult commute.

Selling off Rose hill and building houses on the track bed will raise a lot of cash to improve Marple
[/quote]

Building houses on the trackbed Huh As most of the line is in steep cutting they would be narrow, miserable places to live with no access except on foot.

Duke Fame

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 10:15:12 PM »

Building houses on the trackbed Huh As most of the line is in steep cutting they would be narrow, miserable places to live with no access except on foot.
[/quote]

Ecologically sound housing for the car-less world. My friend, I  give you the future
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite