RC Cars, RC Helicopters, RC Planes | Nitrotek Ltd

Author Topic: Marple Station  (Read 47277 times)

Duke Fame

Re: Marple Station
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:59 PM »
Speaking as an ex-regular rail commuter to Manchester (not working there anymore) until GMPTE sort out the poor evening service at Rose Hill, it will never be an attractive option, except for prople who live close to tehe station. Any service that effectively shuts down at 6.30pm  is never going to convince people to take a risk on using it, in case they get stuck at work and stranded car-less at their destination.

That's always the key, whithout a regular late service, nobody wants to risk being stranded at the wrong station.

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2012, 02:29:33 PM »
Speaking as an ex-regular rail commuter to Manchester (not working there anymore) until GMPTE sort out the poor evening service at Rose Hill, it will never be an attractive option, except for prople who live close to tehe station. Any service that effectively shuts down at 6.30pm  is never going to convince people to take a risk on using it, in case they get stuck at work and stranded car-less at their destination.
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

rsh

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2012, 02:10:29 PM »
With this in mind, selling something that is of little use to get something really useful would be a step forward.

97,780 passengers, and counting, would object to it being of "little use". And the "really useful" in this case would be trading it for a decked car park across platforms at Marple? Thank god that kind of 40-year old thinking is no longer shared by transport planners!

The fact that Rose Hill is a relatively quiet terminus isn't an issue, as long as the trains fill up by the time they get to Piccadilly, which they do. With the potential for tram-train to Manchester and a link into Stockport town centre, Rose Hill provides the opportunity to convert so many more car journeys into public transport.

I like the idea of a simple shuttle bus going Rose Hill - Marple centre - Marple station, like our own little Metroshuttle linking both stations into town (although I suppose the 383/384 does this already), but I think you'd find that closing Rose Hill and providing a shuttle bus to Marple wouldn't work. No-one would make that journey from Rose Hill, they'd just get in their car and drive. Welcome back to the 1970s.

Not a cat in hells chance . Of a deck on top .

I'm not sure how else the parking could be expanded. As Barbara says above, it's effectively a park and ride for people from New Mills and all around, and those park and ride projects seem to get a good amount of funding, if that's the issue.

Although I wouldn't like to see it as a priority myself... Given Rose Hill often has spare spaces to Marple's overflowing overflow, a far simpler solution would be to advertise the improved Rose Hill service at Marple (and to continue improving the Rose Hill service), encourage a few people to switch across first.

Duke Fame

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:38 AM »
No, no, no. Shut Rose Hill and sell off the land. Use the money to build the car park at Marple. Make the service accessable with a shuttle bus to/from the station which picks up /sets down at Rose hill down to dan bank

So we're going to close Rose Hill, which is far easier to access by foot for a vast majority of Marple's residential areas, in favour of the station located halfway down a steep hill which people will then need to be ferried to using a shuttle bus? I don't know where to begin...

Funding could surely be found if needed to improve the car park without selling anything. Really the newer overflow bit needs to be flattened out and completely redone, with a deck on top. There's loads of room all around it which could be used for a decked car park built on stilts.

Rose hill is a bit of a rubbish station, not for where it is but for the difficulty in providing a service that goes anywhere beyond Rose Hill. A shuttle to Marple station will be far more useful as it will open access to the trains up to the whole of Marple.

With this in mind, selling something that is of little use to get something really useful would be a step forward.

Barbara

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2012, 08:16:18 AM »
Re the parking issue - I think a lot of the cars come from outside the area e.g. New Mills, etc. 

Duke Fame

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »
Well anyway, I am going to campaign for a travelator/escalator up the hill - puff, puff, poor old thing! :D

chair lift would be better .think of the views .

Exactly the right thinking, we sell the licence to build cable car from Marple station to Stockport station, we'll remove traffic and jump the queues. I was scoffed when I fist put forward the idea, it's great to have so much support. Perhaps I should be a councillor

Duke Fame

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:23 PM »
I've always been surprised with the amount of cars parking at Marple station. Unless you live in the top end of Mellor or Compstall then fair enough but if you live anywhere else you could walk

You could but when I get the train I need to be there for 6.19, I value my additional 15 mins in bed too much to walk.

Taurus

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 09:29:44 PM »
I've always been surprised with the amount of cars parking at Marple station. Unless you live in the top end of Mellor or Compstall then fair enough but if you live anywhere else you could walk

amazon

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 08:44:20 PM »
Well anyway, I am going to campaign for a travelator/escalator up the hill - puff, puff, poor old thing! :D

chair lift would be better .think of the views .

Barbara

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 06:16:27 PM »

amazon

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:10 PM »
No, no, no. Shut Rose Hill and sell off the land. Use the money to build the car park at Marple. Make the service accessable with a shuttle bus to/from the station which picks up /sets down at Rose hill down to dan bank

So we're going to close Rose Hill, which is far easier to access by foot for a vast majority of Marple's residential areas, in favour of the station located halfway down a steep hill which people will then need to be ferried to using a shuttle bus? I don't know where to begin...

Funding could surely be found if needed to improve the car park without selling anything. Really the newer overflow bit needs to be flattened out and completely redone, with a deck on top. There's loads of room all around it which could be used for a decked car park built on stilts.
Not a cat in hells chance . Of a deck on top .

rsh

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »

amazon

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 03:44:32 PM »
No Alison, it is a new bridge going in with (I understand) lifts at each end.  The existing bridge is not in very good condition when you look at it carefully. 

Have emailed peak rail to see if it is still going there .
Reply from peak rail today they are in line for the bridge but as yet don't know how it's coming to them
In other. Words when it's ready for moving who's  bringing in to them .it was reported at least eighteen months ago that It was being delivered free , to them

amazon

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »
In addition to Howard's point that it's not all Get Carter style concrete, the upper deck can go over the tracks which not only is efficient use of space, it will keep commuters dry and just drop a lift shaft on each side of the upper deck.

I agree Marple station desperately needs platform canopies, but what a depressing and absurd solution!

If we need more parking spaces, better to move/buy up the coalyard at Rose Hill and extend the car park there right up to Middlewood Way. You could more than double the car park there easily.

At Marple it would have been better to build a brand new ticket office, bridge and lifts at the nearest end of the platform, joining onto the road, allowing pedestrian access directly down to Platform 1 from Brabyns again. Then demolish all the current buildings and extend the car park up into that space.  Unfortunately the way they're doing it, it'll be even more of a hodge-podge than before without even the one saving grace of the heritage footbridge. If they build the new bridge further back than the current one, it'll mean an even longer walk around the whole station for pedestrians coming from

We're is this extra car park going .theres no room on this extra space .

Duke Fame

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 12:51:41 AM »
In addition to Howard's point that it's not all Get Carter style concrete, the upper deck can go over the tracks which not only is efficient use of space, it will keep commuters dry and just drop a lift shaft on each side of the upper deck.

I agree Marple station desperately needs platform canopies, but what a depressing and absurd solution!

If we need more parking spaces, better to move/buy up the coalyard at Rose Hill and extend the car park there right up to Middlewood Way. You could more than double the car park there easily.

At Marple it would have been better to build a brand new ticket office, bridge and lifts at the nearest end of the platform, joining onto the road, allowing pedestrian access directly down to Platform 1 from Brabyns again. Then demolish all the current buildings and extend the car park up into that space.  Unfortunately the way they're doing it, it'll be even more of a hodge-podge than before without even the one saving grace of the heritage footbridge. If they build the new bridge further back than the current one, it'll mean an even longer walk around the whole station for pedestrians coming from Brabyns.