Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
November 27, 2014, 07:27:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: A Man of Insignificance to help Friends of Marple Memorial Park!

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Murillo's Christmas Bookings now being taken.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Marple Station  (Read 10323 times)
Duke Fame

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »

Seems an awful waste of money. The ticket office must surely be replaced by machines and increase the car park capacity with a multi-story would be a better way of spending the cash IMHO.

It's a conservation area multi storey no chance .

No sure that a multi-storey car park isn't congruent with a conservation area. The station  is not something of great conservation importance AFAIK. A multi-storey over the existing car park  & lines will give more parking without having to eat up the land next to the Indian restaurant. It's also in a dip so the intrusion is minimal and sited accross the lines gives disabled access to both lines. The cost could be met by closing Rose hill and selling it for houses.

Just a thought
Dave

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

The Town Street area of Marple Bridge is the conservation area - I don't think it extends up Brabyns Brow. And surely it can't include the station, which boasts Marple's ugliest building!
amazon

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

No Alison, it is a new bridge going in with (I understand) lifts at each end.  The existing bridge is not in very good condition when you look at it carefully. 

Have emailed peak rail to see if it is still going there .
Mr Marple

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »

It's a huge shame that we'll lose the last piece of history and with no chance of keeping it. Considering the speed of technology today isn't it possible to keep our beloved footbridge and develop disabled access without the need to move or change much?

I reckon, once again, it is all down to money....damn economy.

As for the multi-level parking, it won't be a pretty sight but an eyesore depending on your p.o.v. and the design options or are we not allowed to choose.
finetimefontaine

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »

I agree, it is a real shame that we have to lose the old bridge.

Apparently the whole project is a DfTransport funded initiative called A4A, it's for Disability Discrimination Act compliance. A new bridge with 2 lifts and an accesible toilet.

The old bridge is being lifted out and it is being given to Peak rail for Rowsley.

Total cost £1.2M. 
amazon

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »

The Town Street area of Marple Bridge is the conservation area - I don't think it extends up Brabyns Brow. And surely it can't include the station, which boasts Marple's ugliest building!

Had a feeling you would correct me .
amazon

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »

I agree, it is a real shame that we have to lose the old bridge.

Apparently the whole project is a DfTransport funded initiative called A4A, it's for Disability Discrimination Act compliance. A new bridge with 2 lifts and an accesible toilet.

The old bridge is being lifted out and it is being given to Peak rail for Rowsley.

Total cost £1.2M. 
. How will they do this old bridge out new one in straight away .if so could be a weekend job or put the new one farther down the platform .any body any info when being  done        please post would like to go take some photos
Barbara

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »

One of the workmen told me that completion date is 16th May.  He added that I can go down that day and tell him off because they hadn't finished in time!!  We shall have to wait and see.
finetimefontaine

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »

I think that the plan is to have the new bridge in before they take the old one out.
thebigshed

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »

D'oh
amazon

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »

One of the workmen told me that completion date is 16th May.  He added that I can go down that day and tell him off because they hadn't finished in time!!  We shall have to wait and see.

thats pushing it a bit is that finishing everything .booking office as well /. 
Miss Marple

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »

Why can't the steps be refurbished ? Who made the decision they can not and made  the decision to move it/scrap it ?

BECAUSE IT CONCERNS ME, MINE AND OTHERS !!!!!
admin
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »

Two very ill mannered posts have been removed from this thread. Sort yourselves out Amazon and Miss Marple.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
amazon

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »

Two very ill mannered posts have been removed from this thread. Sort yourselves out Amazon and Miss Marple.

Sorry admin .will behave .
Duke Fame

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »

Why can't the steps be refurbished ? Who made the decision they can not and made  the decision to move it/scrap it ?

Because we'd still need to install lifts to provide access to all. I like to save money with the best of them but even I can see that a  lift can't be added without a new bridge, I just think we may as well go the whole hog and increase capacity of the car-park at the same time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite