A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Marple Station  (Read 47241 times)

Mr Marple

Re: Marple Station
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 01:15:26 PM »
It's a huge shame that we'll lose the last piece of history and with no chance of keeping it. Considering the speed of technology today isn't it possible to keep our beloved footbridge and develop disabled access without the need to move or change much?

I reckon, once again, it is all down to money....damn economy.

As for the multi-level parking, it won't be a pretty sight but an eyesore depending on your p.o.v. and the design options or are we not allowed to choose.

amazon

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »
No Alison, it is a new bridge going in with (I understand) lifts at each end.  The existing bridge is not in very good condition when you look at it carefully. 

Have emailed peak rail to see if it is still going there .

Dave

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
The Town Street area of Marple Bridge is the conservation area - I don't think it extends up Brabyns Brow. And surely it can't include the station, which boasts Marple's ugliest building!

Duke Fame

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:39 PM »
Seems an awful waste of money. The ticket office must surely be replaced by machines and increase the car park capacity with a multi-story would be a better way of spending the cash IMHO.

It's a conservation area multi storey no chance .

No sure that a multi-storey car park isn't congruent with a conservation area. The station  is not something of great conservation importance AFAIK. A multi-storey over the existing car park  & lines will give more parking without having to eat up the land next to the Indian restaurant. It's also in a dip so the intrusion is minimal and sited accross the lines gives disabled access to both lines. The cost could be met by closing Rose hill and selling it for houses.

Just a thought

Barbara

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 11:04:13 PM »
No Alison, it is a new bridge going in with (I understand) lifts at each end.  The existing bridge is not in very good condition when you look at it carefully. 

alison

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 09:49:33 PM »
are there any plans online anywhere for this? It may be that the footbridge isn't going to be totally trashed - at Davenport they kept the sides but replaced all the steps, it looks nice now and I feel like I am far less likely to go flying down the slippery treads (something I have done more than once at Marple - once managed to do half the length of the steps from the road which was equally painful and embarrasing!). Of course if they are incorporating the lift with the footbridge this may not be possible, but it will surely make life so much easier for those who struggle with the bridge for whatever reason.

Water Rat

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 04:52:03 PM »
It is a shame that another bit of our railway heritage is moving from the immediate area.  The station used to be fabulous to explore in the 60's.

amazon

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »
Personally, I would have preferred the money to be spent on trains rather than the station.

I'm also concerned that previously a large amount of money has been spent on toilets (which have never been open) and information screens (which are quite often disconnected, out of action, pointing straight at the sun or just plain wrong).

I can see that disabled people may benefit from the lifts to platform 1, but in the past they have always been allowed (on trains turning round at Marple) to get on the train on platform 2 before it switches lines.

I wonder what will happen to the old footbridge - will it be cut up or can we have another crossing of the Goyt or the railway somewhere?
       As my post before this its going to peak rail .

hollins

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:11:21 PM »
Personally, I would have preferred the money to be spent on trains rather than the station.

I'm also concerned that previously a large amount of money has been spent on toilets (which have never been open) and information screens (which are quite often disconnected, out of action, pointing straight at the sun or just plain wrong).

I can see that disabled people may benefit from the lifts to platform 1, but in the past they have always been allowed (on trains turning round at Marple) to get on the train on platform 2 before it switches lines.

I wonder what will happen to the old footbridge - will it be cut up or can we have another crossing of the Goyt or the railway somewhere?

amazon

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 03:09:01 PM »
Seems an awful waste of money. The ticket office must surely be replaced by machines and increase the car park capacity with a multi-story would be a better way of spending the cash IMHO.

It's a conservation area multi storey no chance .

amazon

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »

If you read postings on this it is being replaced by machines .and it's not a waste of money how do disabled
Cross to the other side .the new bridge will sort that ..you must read before you post .

amazon

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 02:36:58 PM »
Here are some photos taken by Arthur Procter on 14 February of the work now underway to improve Marple Station:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-23

What a shame the marvelous stairs can't be refurbished and kept!

Think they are going to peak rail society .keep use upto date with photos Arthur .

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:53:37 AM »

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 06:56:53 AM »
Here are some photos taken by Arthur Procter on 14 February of the work now underway to improve Marple Station:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-23

What a shame the marvelous stairs can't be refurbished and kept!
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

amazon

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 08:25:52 PM »
From the planning application (DC/047839):

"Replacement footbridge and alterations at Marple Railway Station including extension to ticket building to provide toilet facilities."

No documents or plans anywhere for how it'll look. But isn't the old footbridge going to Peak Rail?

Was reported to be a few years ago .