Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
September 23, 2014, 09:23:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Nurture Nursery and Pre-School

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Marple Station  (Read 9161 times)
thebigshed

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2012, 05:08:02 PM »

Any chance of a bridge extension to the path that runs alongside the tennis courts?
rotten john

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2012, 04:13:05 AM »

Rotten John - please don't post such offensive nonsense again. Clearly you have never had any need to befriend a disabled person, have any meaningful interaction with a less abled person, or God forbid be related to one.
I've probably done more for disabled and oaps in stockport and marple than you will ever do,and im still doing!!..which is why i made my valid point........do we as a community really think that spending millions on a tiny train station to build a lift to take a few extra passingers a year,that will not be in use unless a fat controller(thomas the tank type) is in postion to use the lift ? as someone else pointed out it will be UNMANED soon so there will be no body there to do it,so it will be useless,when i add stockport council allready lay on a fine service for disabled to take them around the borough via mini bus or taxi,and woodley and bredbury and stockport train stations are all easy accsess to all and are all only one or two stops away.no wonder all the rail companies go bust! they got people like you in control bet you still vote labour! want to fix everything but aint got the money to fix it so we fix it anyway we can worry about the debt,our grandkids can pay the debt!

References to spelling etc removed. Admin.
Steptoe and Son

« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2012, 11:30:39 PM »

Rotten John - please don't post such offensive nonsense again. Clearly you have never had any need to befriend a disabled person, have any meaningful interaction with a less abled person, or God forbid be related to one.
I've probably done more for disabled and oaps in stockport and marple than you will ever do,and im still doing!!..which is why i made my valid point........do we as a community really think that spending millions on a tiny train station to build a lift to take a few extra passingers a year,that will not be in use unless a fat controller(thomas the tank type) is in postion to use the lift ? as someone else pointed out it will be UNMANED soon so there will be no body there to do it,so it will be useless,when i add stockport council allready lay on a fine service for disabled to take them around the borough via mini bus or taxi,and woodley and bredbury and stockport train stations are all easy accsess to all and are all only one or two stops away.no wonder all the rail companies go bust! they got people like you in control bet you still vote labour! want to fix everything but aint got the money to fix it so we fix it anyway we can worry about the debt,our grandkids can pay the debt!

References to spelling etc removed. Admin.

To twist this into a party political diatribe is impressive, if it were not so ridiculous.  I'm pretty sure that people, whatever their ability, want choice and I'm positive they don't want you deciding how they live their lives or when and where they travel to or from.
Heritage

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2012, 05:11:25 PM »

Quite!! Surreal twist of issues. It'll be a huge boost when there is proper access to the platforms for all users of the rail service. Marple's sustainability relies in no small part on its attractiveness as a commuter base for Manchester, and the provision of access for commuters is key to that - whatever their level of mobility - as well as leisure users who wish to come to Marple for its scenery and attractiveness.
rsh

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2012, 06:36:35 PM »

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=-23&pid=6766

Why have they built this lift shaft so far back from the existing platform? Isn't that where there used to be an additional bay platform track? The same bay platform they've just suggested re-opening should Marple's rail service to Manchester be converted to a more frequent tram-train service (info here), allowing trams to turn back without disrupting the main line.

So now the previously four-platform Marple is stuck with only two through platforms. Some joined-up thinking there! Roll Eyes
rotten john

« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2012, 09:14:35 PM »

so common wheres the answer Huh no body will be there to help the people cross the bridge....so why waste the money Huh?..oh i forgot youll worry about that once its built!!........ thank you i rest my case!
hollins

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2012, 09:58:36 PM »

so common wheres the answer Huh no body will be there to help the people cross the bridge....so why waste the money Huh?..oh i forgot youll worry about that once its built!!........ thank you i rest my case!

Not sure that I understand this post. The whole idea of putting in lifts is so that people DON'T require assistance crossing the railway.

I have to say that the new infrastructure looks quite impressive, and it is certainly going up fast.
Duke Fame

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2012, 11:59:23 AM »

I suspect the reason for the siting down the platform is simply using standard sizes. These lift systems are being installed throughout the country, it's part of the government's efforts to put capital infrastructure investment in now when the economy is slow as it's money that is going to have to be spent anyway. The lift systems are kept to standard sizing whereever possible so that they don't have to make a footbridge especially for a particular stations in order to avoid high costs.

I guess it's cheaper to use an off the shelf footbridge rather than connect lifts to the existing road bridge which may be more ascetically pleasing 
amazon

« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2012, 01:33:35 PM »

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=-23&pid=6766

Why have they built this lift shaft so far back from the existing platform? Isn't that where there used to be an additional bay platform track? The same bay platform they've just suggested re-opening should Marple's rail service to Manchester be converted to a more frequent tram-train service (info here), allowing trams to turn back without disrupting the main line.

So now the previously four-platform Marple is stuck with only two through platforms. Some joined-up thinking there! Roll Eyes

Don't forget the booking office is also being altered
admin
Administrator

« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2012, 05:52:04 AM »

Arthur paid another visit to Marple Station yesterday and here's the latest progress photos:

http://visitmarple.co.uk/photos/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=-23

For any night-owls, apparently the bridging section will be installed around 12.15am on Sunday morning.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
admin
Administrator

« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2012, 05:33:09 PM »

A dozen shots taken by Arthur of the new bridge being installed during the early hours of this morning have just been added to the Virtual Tour:

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
amazon

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2012, 08:08:46 PM »

A dozen shots taken by Arthur of the new bridge being installed during the early hours of this morning have just been added to the Virtual Tour:

Brilliant photos he should  publish a book  with all his best photos he's ever taken .
Osdog

« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »

As a regular rail user from Marple, I think the new structure will look great when it's finished.  There has always been difficulty for folks with bicycles, prams, wheelchairs etc.... and for them now the problems will be solved.  Not everyone can just use a different station - and I personally don't use Rose Hill, as that means that I'd have to get the car out to get there.  Marple central is more .... well..... local really.

Lets' just appreciate the improvements shall we?

admin
Administrator

« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:50 AM »

Some more photos taken by Arthur of the improvements to Marple Station have been added to the Virtual Tour this morning:

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
Barbara

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2012, 06:14:06 PM »

The cladding work on the two lift shafts is going well.  It should look really good when completed.  And when you really study the old bridge it is in a really poor state and would cost a fortune to renovate - and still no disabled/pushchair access.  Now we just need my lift up the hill when I get back!!! Wink
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite