Security Alarms, Fire Alarms, CCTV & Access Controls Stockport

Author Topic: Marple Station  (Read 47260 times)

rsh

Re: Marple Station
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »
In addition to Howard's point that it's not all Get Carter style concrete, the upper deck can go over the tracks which not only is efficient use of space, it will keep commuters dry and just drop a lift shaft on each side of the upper deck.

I agree Marple station desperately needs platform canopies, but what a depressing and absurd solution!

If we need more parking spaces, better to move/buy up the coalyard at Rose Hill and extend the car park there right up to Middlewood Way. You could more than double the car park there easily.

At Marple it would have been better to build a brand new ticket office, bridge and lifts at the nearest end of the platform, joining onto the road, allowing pedestrian access directly down to Platform 1 from Brabyns again. Then demolish all the current buildings and extend the car park up into that space.  Unfortunately the way they're doing it, it'll be even more of a hodge-podge than before without even the one saving grace of the heritage footbridge. If they build the new bridge further back than the current one, it'll mean an even longer walk around the whole station for pedestrians coming from Brabyns.

Duke Fame

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:12 PM »
Why can't the steps be refurbished ? Who made the decision they can not and made  the decision to move it/scrap it ?

Because we'd still need to install lifts to provide access to all. I like to save money with the best of them but even I can see that a  lift can't be added without a new bridge, I just think we may as well go the whole hog and increase capacity of the car-park at the same time.
how do you do that duke ,

In addition to Howard's point that it's not all Get Carter style concrete, the upper deck can go over the tracks which not only is efficient use of space, it will keep commuters dry and just drop a lift shaft on each side of the upper deck.

Howard

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 08:49:52 PM »
Why can't the steps be refurbished ? Who made the decision they can not and made  the decision to move it/scrap it ?

Because we'd still need to install lifts to provide access to all. I like to save money with the best of them but even I can see that a  lift can't be added without a new bridge, I just think we may as well go the whole hog and increase capacity of the car-park at the same time.

If you look at a lot of stations and also hospital car parks you can see that they manage to build a double decker car park based on a steel frame. They look temporary but seem to work very well.

amazon

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 07:36:47 PM »

Duke Fame

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 06:51:57 PM »

amazon

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 05:48:02 PM »
Two very ill mannered posts have been removed from this thread. Sort yourselves out Amazon and Miss Marple.

Sorry admin .will behave .

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 05:39:35 PM »
Two very ill mannered posts have been removed from this thread. Sort yourselves out Amazon and Miss Marple.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Miss Marple

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:23 PM »

amazon

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:39 PM »
One of the workmen told me that completion date is 16th May.  He added that I can go down that day and tell him off because they hadn't finished in time!!  We shall have to wait and see.

thats pushing it a bit is that finishing everything .booking office as well /. 

thebigshed

« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:15 PM »
D'oh

finetimefontaine

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 03:21:06 PM »
I think that the plan is to have the new bridge in before they take the old one out.

Barbara

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
One of the workmen told me that completion date is 16th May.  He added that I can go down that day and tell him off because they hadn't finished in time!!  We shall have to wait and see.

amazon

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 02:13:30 PM »
I agree, it is a real shame that we have to lose the old bridge.

Apparently the whole project is a DfTransport funded initiative called A4A, it's for Disability Discrimination Act compliance. A new bridge with 2 lifts and an accesible toilet.

The old bridge is being lifted out and it is being given to Peak rail for Rowsley.

Total cost £1.2M. 
. How will they do this old bridge out new one in straight away .if so could be a weekend job or put the new one farther down the platform .any body any info when being  done        please post would like to go take some photos

amazon

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
The Town Street area of Marple Bridge is the conservation area - I don't think it extends up Brabyns Brow. And surely it can't include the station, which boasts Marple's ugliest building!

Had a feeling you would correct me .

finetimefontaine

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 01:25:13 PM »
 I agree, it is a real shame that we have to lose the old bridge.

Apparently the whole project is a DfTransport funded initiative called A4A, it's for Disability Discrimination Act compliance. A new bridge with 2 lifts and an accesible toilet.

The old bridge is being lifted out and it is being given to Peak rail for Rowsley.

Total cost £1.2M.