Marple Glass and Glazing

Author Topic: The Edge Restaurant  (Read 9904 times)

Duke Fame

Re: The Edge Restaurant
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2012, 11:12:56 PM »
Three of us went before it closed its doors.  The service was shocking - and we felt like we were imposing on the staffs own personal chatting time.

I'm not surprised its gone to the wall.....

Careful when rubbishing someone else's business, especially when advertising your own at the same time.

It's a shame the edge closed, I hope the owners get to fight another day

Osdog

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 03:43:41 PM »
Three of us went before it closed its doors.  The service was shocking - and we felt like we were imposing on the staffs own personal chatting time.

I'm not surprised its gone to the wall.....

Harry

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 09:36:24 PM »
I agree with you Ringi.

The Edge used to be my favourite local restaurant, and we went many times. Then the menu just became quite boring. So we stopped going.

ringi

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
We used to like the Edge when it had an interesting mediterranean menu, however when we went last year it just had a boring menu, so that was the last time we went.   There was nothing wrong with the food on our last visit, just no reason to make an effort to get there again.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 01:58:40 AM »
...and the newsagents by the bus stop in the centre has bitten the dust, too. It never seemed to have many customers and I always doubted it'd be viable.
It seems as though the one on the corner of the "new" road (the extension of Hibbert Lane) has gone west, too. It's been closed every time I've passed recently.

I don't think you are right in that, he did close for a few days for a family holiday.

It's ery diffcult keeping things going in business right now, we need to be careful in assuming someone is no longer trading when they may just be having a well deserved holiday/
Oops sorry about the mistake

the rover

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:14 AM »
The problem with running a shop is that it will say in the original lease what can and what cannot be sold in the shop. My in-laws run a newsagents and they have been trying to sell it now for over 5 years. The trouble with where they live is that the only people who have made offers to them have been Pakistanis who then want to sell alcohol but when they find out the original lease states that the shop must be run only as a newsagent/sweetshop and no alcohol can be sold then they pull out of the sale.

Duke Fame

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 12:27:54 AM »
The Newsagent next to the swimming pool. All I'm saying is that they did close for a few days at Easter when they were away, it's damaging to them to send rumours about closure when the same situation may apply.

They've been closed for weeks.

Not really surprising. The days of the small newsagent must be numbered. I doubt that many people have a paper delivered any more, I certainly see very few kids delivering, apart from the free papers. I would guess that most people, who still buy them, pick up papers and magazines in the petrol station or supermarket these days. Many just read the free ones or read the news on-line for no charge.

Most newsagents probably made more money from tobacco than the papers. The number of people choosing to use a product that states in large letters that it can kill the user, has decreased significantly over the years. The result of better health education.

The newsagent will go the way of the candlestick maker, the blacksmith, the sweet shop and the true tobacconist. A rarity.

It's only that I made the mistake of assuming it had closed a few months back and it's closure was even mentioned on Twitter. The shop was open a few days later and it was explained that they had been away. I thought that the speculation could not gave been good for business.

I tend to agree, it was going to up against it unless it opened 6-midnight & did booze etc. Sadly you are right, the newsagent is a difficult thing to make a living from and the position it's got does not get footfall because it's so easy to cut behind.

Harry

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:32 PM »
The Newsagent next to the swimming pool. All I'm saying is that they did close for a few days at Easter when they were away, it's damaging to them to send rumours about closure when the same situation may apply.

They've been closed for weeks.

Not really surprising. The days of the small newsagent must be numbered. I doubt that many people have a paper delivered any more, I certainly see very few kids delivering, apart from the free papers. I would guess that most people, who still buy them, pick up papers and magazines in the petrol station or supermarket these days. Many just read the free ones or read the news on-line for no charge.

Most newsagents probably made more money from tobacco than the papers. The number of people choosing to use a product that states in large letters that it can kill the user, has decreased significantly over the years. The result of better health education.

The newsagent will go the way of the candlestick maker, the blacksmith, the sweet shop and the true tobacconist. A rarity.

Duke Fame

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 01:47:00 PM »
...and the newsagents by the bus stop in the centre has bitten the dust, too. It never seemed to have many customers and I always doubted it'd be viable.
It seems as though the one on the corner of the "new" road (the extension of Hibbert Lane) has gone west, too. It's been closed every time I've passed recently.

I don't think you are right in that, he did close for a few days for a family holiday.

It's ery diffcult keeping things going in business right now, we need to be careful in assuming someone is no longer trading when they may just be having a well deserved holiday/

What are you talking about the newsagents or the edge .

amazon

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 01:11:01 PM »

What are you talking about the newsagents or the edge .

Duke Fame

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 10:27:56 AM »

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »

amazon

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 09:03:24 PM »

He still has the newsagents in new mills .

Stockport Classic Bus

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 08:59:06 PM »

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
I was sorry to see that The Edge has closed down. We went from time to time, and even had a christening there a few years back. A shame it has gone, but it did seem a bit cold and cheerless sometimes even though the food was good and it had a lot of potential. Have the owners relocated, or is that the end of it?
We only went once - at lunch time on a very quiet day. We felt as though we were a nuisance and imposing on their time. Never went again.