Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: New Asda - New College - New poll  (Read 10165 times)

Dave

Re: New Asda - New College - New poll
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 05:55:41 PM »
Re the Public Accounts Committee's bizarre intervention, Bowden Guy is absolutely right - the EFA will tell them to mind their own business, and remind them of the autonomous legal status of colleges.

Dave

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »
It would be a sample, but a random one, not a representative one. For that, someone would have to pay a professional polling organisation to conduct a systematically designed poll, with a proportionate representation of people, segmented by age, gender, occupational group etc etc.

simonesaffron

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
If a new poll is set up on this website then only the people who visit this website will vote, not the whole of Marple. Unless there is a door to door survey done there will not be a true feeling of the peoplke of Marple given. It would be impossible to do a door to door survey of every house in Marple.

Agrred on all points but a poll on this forum now the facts have emerged will be a representative sample from a section of the community.

JMC

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
Whether the College had to obtain the best price or not is now a superceded issue and a complete red herring to the options now available.

If the choice was singularly an ASDA on Hibbert Lane would we vote for it? If the choice was singularly a £12M College refurbishment would we vote for it? Neither of those singular choices are being offered. So this is the question The ASDA will bring more vehicular traffic of that there is no doubt. It will also jeopardise the survival of some of our local businesses of that there is no doubt. In the worst imagined scene we could be overwhelmed with traffic chaos and Marple centre could become a ghost town - but does anybody actually believe that this is what will actually happen?       

Is the risk of more traffic and business closure worth taking to get a brand new College and consolidate the College's position in Marple or is it too big a price to pay, and if the College is not supported in this project - do we risk it leaving town ? Then local businesses will close down for sure.

Now that Asda/CAMSFC have revealed their plans in more detail MIA's petition is (I am sure everybody will agree) worthless as a reflector of public opinion. Should a new poll be set up on this website ?

Very good points, I agree.

I think when the first MIA March was held many many people attended but some believed it would be a huge Portwood sized store, the swimming pool would be demolished etc.etc. The last meet up at the college consultation there were much less MIA people. I may well be wrong but I think many people, having seen the plans, are just not as bothered now-at least not enough to do anything about it. The people that I speak to are mostly for it or on the fence. A few have changed their mind to want ASDA now or say it doesn't affect them enough to do anything about it.

the rover

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 11:18:41 AM »
If a new poll is set up on this website then only the people who visit this website will vote, not the whole of Marple. Unless there is a door to door survey done there will not be a true feeling of the peoplke of Marple given. It would be impossible to do a door to door survey of every house in Marple.

simonesaffron

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 09:10:50 AM »
 Whether the College had to obtain the best price or not is now a superceded issue and a complete red herring to the options now available.

If the choice was singularly an ASDA on Hibbert Lane would we vote for it? If the choice was singularly a £12M College refurbishment would we vote for it? Neither of those singular choices are being offered. So this is the question The ASDA will bring more vehicular traffic of that there is no doubt. It will also jeopardise the survival of some of our local businesses of that there is no doubt. In the worst imagined scene we could be overwhelmed with traffic chaos and Marple centre could become a ghost town - but does anybody actually believe that this is what will actually happen?       

Is the risk of more traffic and business closure worth taking to get a brand new College and consolidate the College's position in Marple or is it too big a price to pay, and if the College is not supported in this project - do we risk it leaving town ? Then local businesses will close down for sure.

Now that Asda/CAMSFC have revealed their plans in more detail MIA's petition is (I am sure everybody will agree) worthless as a reflector of public opinion. Should a new poll be set up on this website ?

Bowden Guy

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:26 PM »
I suspect the EFA will write a letter to Ms Hodge along the lines of....it's nothing to with us....it's the responsibility of the Governing Body.....etc etc

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »
Who's Ms Hodge?

Lady Margaret Hodge MBE MP, the Chair of the House of Commons Public Accounts Committee.

See: http://www.marple-uk.com/smf/index.php?topic=3706.msg25440#msg25440
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
Who's Ms Hodge?

Miss Marple

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2012, 09:02:34 PM »
Miss M, if your Mr Hubert tells you that the college governors can dispose of their assets at any price they choose I assure you that he is wrong.
. Me thinks Ms Hodge may disagree with you !

Dave

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »
Miss M, if your Mr Hubert tells you that the college governors can dispose of their assets at any price they choose I assure you that he is wrong.

Miss Marple

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:29:32 PM »
Oh yes I asked Mr Hubert about CAMSFC and their  best value propaganda ie the college having to get as much money as possible and he agreed that it  does not,  I repeat does not mean best value for money   Well done Mr Hubert but why has it taken 12 months for us to agree ? Could it be because you are leaving CAMSFC  :o

So my vote is YES ! Or maybe NO ! What's the question ?

jethroh65

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
No. The college badly needs better facilities, and this is a way of achieving that.
The college badly needs better facilities at whatever costs to the community and the area?

Miss Marple

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
Yes  :-\

Dave

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 07:10:38 PM »
No. The college badly needs better facilities, and this is a way of achieving that.