Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 31, 2014, 07:50:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Marple Motor Company Ltd - brand new MOT Testing Station in Marple

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Memories of Marple!  (Read 7819 times)
bluebelly

« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »

brilliant post,the chocolate box, stiffs, the butchers next door? ,dr reader, the alpine man, building tree dens and bonfires where the holy spirit church is,cycling up to the quarry,dee discount. was there a sports shop up near the navigation pub?some fantastic childhood mems, youthclub at the ridge,the old lady who used to come and sit and dance with us on the hollins?...
heather

« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2012, 09:53:59 PM »

what was norbury mews before they were built  i know it was the smithy years ago but what came in between please

and i said to the man who stood at the gate of the year    give me a light so i may tread safely into the unknown
RAY NOBLE

« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2012, 10:08:25 AM »

Mr.Wood coal merchant at the Marple end and at the other end was Pickups engineers they moved to 
 Sunwell Terrace Hawk Green
admin
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 09:15:18 AM »

This comment from Heather Plevin (nee Hines) who lived in Flood Gates Cottage from 1939 to 1954 has been added to the Roman Lakes walk page on the main site but I though it was worth posting here too:

The side gardens of Mellor Lodge faced the Mill's main frontage. Our friend and neighbour Miss Ella Cecelia Furniss, an elderly lady, lived at Strawberry Hill, a lovely home near the Roman Bridge. (Ella's late father was agent for the Oldknow/Arkwright Estate). She attended Mellor Lodge - an exclusive young ladies school. I remember both Mellor and Marple Lodges standing. Also a stone house with gothic style windows [the Garden House] in the field on the Marple side of the River Goyt. It was demolished and the area became a council tip. Miss Furniss's uncle Edwin lived in "Old Hall". He was then in charge of Roman Lakes etc. At weekends he was in the box office of the lake (6d entry) while his niece supervised the tea-room with helpers Mrs Harrop and "young" Phyllis from Mellor (who was at least 60 or 70 years old). I only just remember seeing dancing (music by Mr Chew) later conditions [of the dance hall] made made it unusable and, perhaps times having changed, unwanted. Later a Mr Stan Burgess was manager of the lake. The Strawberry Hill Furniss's are buried at Mellor Church.

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
alison

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 08:22:38 PM »

As the person who started this thread can I say a huge THANKS to everyone who has contributed so far. It's been brilliant seeing everyone's memories, and having them trigger other memories for me.

I'll add just one for now - did anyone else attend the David Wilkie swimcamp that they help at the Baths and the Ridge one year - we were so starstruck! I still have my picture of me and David!

Alison
marveld

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 09:00:47 PM »

I'll add just one for now - did anyone else attend the David Wilkie swimcamp that they help at the Baths and the Ridge one year - we were so starstruck! I still have my picture of me and David! Alison

At the time, I was in the 6th form at Marple Hall studying A-level art. My project was "Places for Bathing Since Roman Times". I managed to interview David Wilkie at the gym and asked him for his views on new family fun pools that were becoming popular. The one thing I recall was the disappointment of the children since David never entered the pool that year and kept his tracksuit on for the entire swim camp.
alison

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:12 PM »

I was far too young for those kind of thoughts! Although I do remember having my friends take the rib out of me mercilessly when he put his arm round me for the photo!
marveld

« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2012, 11:19:01 PM »

I was far too young for those kind of thoughts!

That's not what I meant, lol!  The kids were simply disappointed that they'd paid for a Swim Camp and their Olympic hero David Wilkie couldn't even be bothered to get into the pool for a swim.
My login is Henrietta

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 12:35:19 AM »

Does anyone remember Jimmy Saville visiting the Co-op? (Many years ago!)

I do he was there for the opening of the coop or something, funny but not 3 days ago I was telling my Dad about meeting him there.

I remember the bon bon on Church Ln, the Choclate box on Stockport Rd. Going for a loaf for my Nanna at the bakers that used to be next to where the Cheshire is now. The kids boating lake and wishing the council would fill it full of water.

Marple in the mid 80's was a young boy's dream, living 2 secs from the countryside and the canal.
And the library was next door to the Bon Bon in the early '50s before it moved to where the Scout Hall is now.

Mr Fearnley's grocery(?) shop or baker, not sure which, where the extension to Hibbert Lane is now. I used to be sent for muffins for my Grandmother. And Greenhalgh's bakers on Church Lane
My login is Henrietta

« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:24 AM »

This comment from Heather Plevin (nee Hines) who lived in Flood Gates Cottage from 1939 to 1954 has been added to the Roman Lakes walk page on the main site but I though it was worth posting here too:

Miss Furniss's uncle Edwin lived in "Old Hall". He was then in charge of Roman Lakes etc. At weekends he was in the box office of the lake (6d entry) while his niece supervised the tea-room with helpers Mrs Harrop and "young" Phyllis from Mellor (who was at least 60 or 70 years old). I only just remember seeing dancing (music by Mr Chew)
"I only just remember seeing dancing (music by Mr Chew)" Is Heather Plevin sure about this? If she is, I'd be very interested in more information on behalf of Mr Chew Jnr's daughter and Mr Chew Snr's Granddaughter. Would it have been Mr Maurice Chew or Mr Harry Chew providing the music?
RAY NOBLE

« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:59 PM »

I used to do work for Mr & Mrs Maurice Chew who lived on Buxton Lane and their daughter who lived on Lumn Road Hyde that is about twenty years ago.
marveld

« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2012, 04:03:18 PM »

In the late 70’s whilst I was at Marple Hall, I made a mahogany coffee table in craft club (after school woodwork). I sourced the wood for the table top from a small merchant that used to be located at Otterspool Bridge, near where the miniature railway station is now. Does anyone have a bit more info on who traded there? Any photos? I kind of remember his place was not much more than small shed.
RAY NOBLE

« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2012, 07:58:09 PM »

In the 1970s the wood yard belonged to a Mr Robinson and before that it was Alfred Fearnley. Ray
marveld

« Reply #73 on: April 26, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »

In the 1970s the wood yard belonged to a Mr Robinson and before that it was Alfred Fearnley. Ray

Thanks Ray. Any relation to the Robinson's that used to own the wood yard at Rose Hill, prior to ECD?
RAY NOBLE

« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »

Not sure sorry. Ray
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite