Brabyns Preparatory School -Nurture. Engage. Achieve.

Author Topic: Memories of Marple!  (Read 35602 times)

RAY NOBLE

Re: Memories of Marple!
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2012, 08:01:29 PM »
Barrie. Would that be Antony, Ian, Peter, John, and Julie..  Ray

bazschofield

« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:31 PM »
I played on the curly wurly tree in the 1940s my children 1960s, grandchildren 1980s, not sure of the great grandchildren I will ask next time they call round. Ray

I have a picture of the Schofield clan on the curly wurly tree from about 1970     Barrie

heather

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
i remember the bonfire and fireworks dad took me and my brother and sister i reckon it was 66/67 gore and Wilson's was where the cafe and light shop are it was probably the first supermarket in Marple

Water Rat

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
Kenny Everett and the "Nice Time" programme team at the bonfire in the Memorial Park in the 60's

Neil Smith

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 10:14:12 PM »
Does anyone remember Jimmy Saville visiting the Co-op? (Many years ago!)

I do he was there for the opening of the coop or something, funny but not 3 days ago I was telling my Dad about meeting him there.

I remember the bon bon on Church Ln, the Choclate box on Stockport Rd. Going for a loaf for my Nanna at the bakers that used to be next to where the Cheshire is now. The kids boating lake and wishing the council would fill it full of water.

Marple in the mid 80's was a young boy's dream, living 2 secs from the countryside and the canal.

Water Rat

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
Mr O'Gara was the friendly Irish street cleaner who pushed his barrow round in the 1960's and 1970's.

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 11:07:36 PM »
In c1947 a weekly market of about 15 stalls was opened on land next to The Jolly Sailor where the shops are now, it lasted about six months, someone in Stockport Town Hall found in the archives an old law stating that markets were not allowed within a radios  seven miles of Stockport so ended the market.      Ray 
Oh, the fair used to set up there, in the 1950s didn't it? I was tken by my parents once when I was small but I didn't like the noise so we never went again.

I wonder, if the by-law is extant how do Famrers' Market get away with it, I wonder. I'd always thought that Marple must have had a market back in the mists of time (well probably the 19th century) because of the name of Market Street

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »
In c1947 a weekly market of about 15 stalls was opened on land next to The Jolly Sailor where the shops are now, it lasted about six months, someone in Stockport Town Hall found in the archives an old law stating that markets were not allowed within a radios  seven miles of Stockport so ended the market.      Ray 

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
You are right Henrietta - my memory let me down (blame old age and visitors!).  I had got the cobblers and barbers mixed up - the children used to be very rude about having their hair 'Chewed'!  :D
Yes, and when we were at school Mr Chew's daughter had to put up with a lot of good-natured and not so good-natured ragging about her name. The last I heard she had never married so she appears to have learned to live with it!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2012, 07:01:16 PM »
Becky Want. The shop was a ironmonger's owned by Mr Sutton who was  Becky's Grandfather and June's father. Ray
While I lived in Market street June married Ernie and they took over the shop but IIRC it kept her father's name. In my time (1950s/60s) the shop sold TVs, etc., and had records (possibly upstairs and as a teenager I used to go there to spend my Christmas and birthday record tokens).

The ironmongers was Walsh's, presided over by Mrs Walsh who died last year in her 90s. I went to school with Stuart Walsh. The family were in the building trade.

As a very small girl I was appalled when the stone cottages with gardens in front, next to Trinity Chapel,  were demolished to build the hideous 50s modern block of shops (where Boots is now). It probably counted as slum clearance and they may have provided very unsatisfactory living conditions but I thought they were very pretty - to be fair I couldn't have been much older than 4 or 5 when they went. I've been very much against things being knocked down in the name of mammon ever since.

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2012, 04:08:50 PM »
Becky Want. The shop was a ironmonger's owned by Mr Sutton who was  Becky's Grandfather and June's father. Ray

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2012, 02:29:10 AM »
Hames the bakery with the mirror where you could pretend you were harry worth it was where the hairdresses is next to alan the paint,

Formerly Wilson's (or possibly Gore and Wilson)?

Does anyone remember old Mrs Woodward? She of the slightly sinister sweet shop who had a son who, in modern parlance, had learning difficulties (won't repeat what the kids used to say)? Shop was - um - possibly where the cake decorating shop is in the row running between the wool shop (then Mr Rainford the Jeweller) and Neil's greengrocers (Then Harrop's greengrocers). Without standing outside and looking I can't be sure

And Becky Want who presents on the radio is the dausghter of June and Ernie Want who had the television shop in the same row.

heather

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 07:48:30 PM »
Hames the bakery with the mirror where you could pretend you were harry worth it was where the hairdresses is next to alan the paint,

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
I'm intrigued.  Where's the Curly Wurly Tree?

Ray sent me a photo of the Curly Wurly Tree over the weekend but I was away, so couldn't upload it. Here it is now:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

RAY NOBLE

« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
Wiseway cleaners took over the shop when Mr & Mrs Dawson retired.  Ray