To advertise on this site

Author Topic: Contact the Highways Department  (Read 3328 times)

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
Re: Contact the Highways Department
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 10:19:01 PM »
Could they not compulsory purchase I am not sure but I think that they can ?

Not if supporting a private planning application

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsory_purchase_order
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
Could they not compulsory purchase I am not sure but I think that they can ?

amazon

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:50:10 PM »
I've posted this on the MIA Facebook page and thought this was the most appropriate thread to put this information in:

See below, from my friend, on how Tesco recently won the battle to build a Supermarket in Sheringham in North Norfolk. My friend is a Councillor there who opposed the supermarket proposal. I asked him to explain why their campaign lost the battle :

"Simple answer. In the end there were no sustainable planning grounds to refuse. When the original planning application was refused by the Council in 2008 and Tesco appealed, the planning inspector ruled in favour of the Council in two areas. These were (1) that the store was too large and would unfairly compete against other town centre shops. Also (2) the design was inappropriate.

Crucially the Inspector did not say that on highways grounds the Tesco site was unsuitable. This was a strong ground in my view for refusal but County Council highways officers, for reasons I cannot understand, always supported the Tesco application. Tesco then submitted a further application for a smaller store and improved design. No planning grounds for refusal were left.

Lesson for Marple? Make sure Local Authority Highways are against".

I hope this helps and, on this basis, I suggest that MIA contacts the Highways Department, as there is a clear threat to the public baths if the supermarket generates enough extra traffic to make a roundabout necessary at the bottom of Hibbert Lane + the mini-roundabout on Hibbert Lane would have to be made into a full one, to accommodate the huge trucks supermarket use to transport goods to their stores. This could mean both the pub and butchers having to go too.

If Littlewoods and the ex Threhsers Shop don't want to sell, then Tesco can't make them. Neither could the highway authority. Seeing as Littlewoods are very anti Tesco then I think that there is little danger of that.

Council highway authorities never 'support' developers but they often 'dont object' which is something completely different. Ultimately these officers review the facts of a case and come to a judgement. Any supermarket has a very tricky highways case to make in Marple and I'm looking forward to seeing what they propose for the immediate area.  ??? In my experience SMBC highways officers are very thorough indeed when reviewing new schemes  >:(
         not unlees they offer them a lot of money

Belly

• Marple Cricket Club Website
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:40:23 PM »
I've posted this on the MIA Facebook page and thought this was the most appropriate thread to put this information in:

See below, from my friend, on how Tesco recently won the battle to build a Supermarket in Sheringham in North Norfolk. My friend is a Councillor there who opposed the supermarket proposal. I asked him to explain why their campaign lost the battle :

"Simple answer. In the end there were no sustainable planning grounds to refuse. When the original planning application was refused by the Council in 2008 and Tesco appealed, the planning inspector ruled in favour of the Council in two areas. These were (1) that the store was too large and would unfairly compete against other town centre shops. Also (2) the design was inappropriate.

Crucially the Inspector did not say that on highways grounds the Tesco site was unsuitable. This was a strong ground in my view for refusal but County Council highways officers, for reasons I cannot understand, always supported the Tesco application. Tesco then submitted a further application for a smaller store and improved design. No planning grounds for refusal were left.

I hope this helps and, on this basis, I suggest that MIA contacts the Highways Department, as there is a clear threat to the public baths if the supermarket generates enough extra traffic to make a roundabout necessary at the bottom of Hibbert Lane + the mini-roundabout on Hibbert Lane would have to be made into a full one, to accommodate the huge trucks supermarket use to transport goods to their stores. This could mean both the pub and butchers having to go too.

If Littlewoods and the ex Threhsers Shop don't want to sell, then Tesco can't make them. Neither could the highway authority. Seeing as Littlewoods are very anti Tesco then I think that there is little danger of that.

Council highway authorities never 'support' developers but they often 'dont object' which is something completely different. Ultimately these officers review the facts of a case and come to a judgement. Any supermarket has a very tricky highways case to make in Marple and I'm looking forward to seeing what they propose for the immediate area.  ??? In my experience SMBC highways officers are very thorough indeed when reviewing new schemes  >:(
Words are trains for passing through what really has no name...

Miss Marple

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:38:40 PM »
Thanks for that Victor I will certainly pass your information on to the MIA legal team and ask them to act on the information you have provided.  It's sad but sometimes I feel a lot of people forget that we are up against a major player and not just fighting an application for a green house or a 10 ft fence    I know this has certainly been an eye opener for me

Victor Meldrew

Contact the Highways Department
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:45:24 PM »