Certified Charter Accountants in Marple

Author Topic: TRAINS  (Read 20020 times)

Duke Fame

Re: TRAINS
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:05 PM »
Drive to Stockport and park for free at the station on Sundays. Then you can get a train into Manchester; there is one every 10 minutes or so.

That's all very well but I struggle driving in a straight line when I come back from having a skinfull.

amazon

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 09:08:08 PM »
 sorry its not to your liking Dave but only posting what i found .why do you  have to bring the councillors in to it  .

He mentioned the councillors because they claimed credit for getting additional railway services running for Marple residents when they weren't additional at all. All they did was get a service from Marple station switched to Rose Hill. They were being economical with the truth which was disingenuous to say the least.

yes but thats way gone this is new .

Barbara

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 10:22:28 AM »
In the dim and distant past, when the metro tram system was being planned, one of the lines which were promised first was to Marple.  This got quietly forgotten (but not by all of us!!) and never materialised.  Maybe we could start campaigning for this to be resurrected? ???

Dave

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
Drive to Stockport and park for free at the station on Sundays. Then you can get a train into Manchester; there is one every 10 minutes or so.

Yes, that's a good plan, and we resort to that sometimes.  But it negates the point of public transport if you find yourself adding to the traffic in order to get to a decent train service.

I don't think that the late evening trains (to Marple) are too bad
I think we deserve better than one train per hour in the evenings. 

Meanwhile, have a look at this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-16235349

So the government spends 20 times more per head of population on transport in London than it does in the North West.   ::)

hollins

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
Whilst I applaud Rose Hill supporters for their efforts to brighten their station and gain some more services, I agree with Howard: these are not "extra" services - they have simply been redirected from Marple station, thereby exacerbating the overcrowding problems at the latter.

I don't think that the late evening trains (to Marple) are too bad, but the Sunday service is hopeless.

Howard

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2011, 11:49:12 PM »
Maybe but it did encourage more people to start their journey from Rose Hill at peak times leaving more space to park at and get a seat from from Marple.

I don't deny it. They still dressed it up as new services when all that happened is that they were moved from Marple to Rose Hill.

thebigshed

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2011, 10:30:40 PM »
 sorry its not to your liking Dave but only posting what i found .why do you  have to bring the councillors in to it  .

He mentioned the councillors because they claimed credit for getting additional railway services running for Marple residents when they weren't additional at all. All they did was get a service from Marple station switched to Rose Hill. They were being economical with the truth which was disingenuous to say the least.

Maybe but it did encourage more people to start their journey from Rose Hill at peak times leaving more space to park at and get a seat from from Marple.

Miss C

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2011, 09:25:05 PM »
Sounds like a plan- thanks!

Howard

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »

Miss C

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 08:35:33 PM »
I have to say, as a newcomer, that I'm really surprised at the poor Sunday service from Marple to town. We went in today about midday and the train was just about full before it arrived. I know it's Christmas but last time we caught it, it was heaving as well. I'm surprised that it's not even an hourly service. It's a far cry from where we used to live, where there was a metro to town every 6 minutes! I think we'd drive next time, even though parking is extortionate, even on a Sunday.

Howard

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 08:29:22 PM »

amazon

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 08:00:13 PM »
Good point about trying to get an improved Sunday service on a trial basis. Even an hourly service would be an improvement, and I'm sure it would be well used.

Re the so-called 'improvement' to the daytime Rose Hill service, we should remember that there has been no additional service to the Marple area - all that Craig Wright and the other councillors who claim credit achieved was the switching of one train per hour from Marple to Rose Hill (although they never mentioned that, of course   ::)).  And as Ringi wrote:
I have never had a problem getting a seat at Rose Hill.

...Rose Hill services are are lightly used compared with those from Marple, which has so much more car parking.  So was it really such a good idea??

Dave

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »
Good point about trying to get an improved Sunday service on a trial basis. Even an hourly service would be an improvement, and I'm sure it would be well used.

Re the so-called 'improvement' to the daytime Rose Hill service, we should remember that there has been no additional service to the Marple area - all that Craig Wright and the other councillors who claim credit achieved was the switching of one train per hour from Marple to Rose Hill (although they never mentioned that, of course   ::)).  And as Ringi wrote:
I have never had a problem getting a seat at Rose Hill.

...Rose Hill services are are lightly used compared with those from Marple, which has so much more car parking.  So was it really such a good idea??

rsh

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »
Where would one begin to push for a better Sunday or evening service? Local councillors, Stockport Council, Northern Rail, Transport for Greater Manchester? I don't feel like the council or councillors are really fighting for any improvements here at all.

I don't think that's very fair. I understand that Craig Wright has led the campaign for improvements to Rose Hill Station and the services running from it. He is also a key member of the Friends of Rose Hill Station:

Sorry quite right, Craig Wright and the Friends of Rose Hill Station have done great work in a short period of time. I don't envy anyone who has to campaign through our layers of bureaucracy for improvements to rail services. But while additional services to both stations are always quoted as an "aspiration", it would be good to see some form of a feasible plan or strategy.

As an example, the Atherton line on the other side of Manchester was given a "trial" hourly Sunday service in May 2010, funded by Transport for Greater Manchester. It has proved a success and will now apparently be written as a permanent requirement into the new Northern franchise agreement from 2013. There would seem to me to be an opportunity to run a similar trial for Sunday services from Marple or evening services to Rose Hill, allowing them to prove themselves before the new franchise agreement, and ensuring our lines don't miss the boat yet again on the possibility of improved service.

amazon

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »
That is very good news - where did you get the information? It would be nice to get a seat more than one day in three.

Marple has also got a spanking new ticket machine (on platform 2). However, to get to use the ticket machine you first have to get past the jobsworth who checks tickets at the door of the station - and to get past him you need a valid ticket! His sole raison d'etre seems to be to make as many people miss their train on a Monday morning.

RAIL .CO  Sign up for daily news update from every were great sight .