Marple Stationery Supplies - Everything for the home, school and office

Author Topic: TRAINS  (Read 20026 times)

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
Re: TRAINS
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »
Where would one begin to push for a better Sunday or evening service? Local councillors, Stockport Council, Northern Rail, Transport for Greater Manchester? I don't feel like the council or councillors are really fighting for any improvements here at all.

I don't think that's very fair. I understand that Craig Wright has led the campaign for improvements to Rose Hill Station and the services running from it. He is also a key member of the Friends of Rose Hill Station:

www.marple-uk.com/forhs
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

rsh

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »
In reply to Ringi - I understood that the trains would not be extra ones in the timetable, just coupled up to existing ones.  I may be wrong - anyone know?

Yes, they're just doubling up certain trains. Of course, another poor design feature of the Class 142s is the lack of a gangway door at each end, making them particularly unsuitable for this. ::)

Where would one begin to push for a better Sunday or evening service? Local councillors, Stockport Council, Northern Rail, Transport for Greater Manchester? I don't feel like the council or councillors are really fighting for any improvements here at all.

Barbara

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »
In reply to Ringi - I understood that the trains would not be extra ones in the timetable, just coupled up to existing ones.  I may be wrong - anyone know?

Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »
Don’t expect any new trains for a long time, as there will be lots of 2nd hand trains from line that are converted to electric operations.

Good point.  Although whatever comes our way in the future is unlikely to be as rubbish as the class 142s, which were already rubbish when they were brand new!   ::)

ringi

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »
Don’t expect any new trains for a long time, as there will be lots of 2nd hand trains from line that are converted to electric operations.

Does anyone know what times these 2nd hand trains will be used?  (I have never had a problem getting a seat at Rose Hill)

Dave

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »
The extra seats are welcome but the trains are another regions cast offs.  Still, it beats playing sardines everyday.

Agreed.  Although what tends to happen is that as extra seats become available, more people use the trains.  This is good in a way, of course, because it is getting people off our congested roads, but the extra seats soon fill up, so there are still people left standing.  This is exactly what happened on the Transpennine routes when the nice (but noisy) class 185 units took over a few years ago.

And when are we going to get a decent service in the evenings and on Sundays?   >:(

Basementlife

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »
The Northern Rail franchise runs out in September 2013.

And indeed more second hand stock...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16136583

At least not this bad, yet !!

thebigshed

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:13 PM »
The extra seats are welcome but the trains are another regions cast offs.  Still, it beats playing sardines everyday.

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »
Extra seats very good - but why do we get all the cascaded trains that other regions have got rid of?

sgk

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »
That is very good news - where did you get the information?

http://www.northernrail.org/news/6947

hollins

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »
That is very good news - where did you get the information? It would be nice to get a seat more than one day in three.

Marple has also got a spanking new ticket machine (on platform 2). However, to get to use the ticket machine you first have to get past the jobsworth who checks tickets at the door of the station - and to get past him you need a valid ticket! His sole raison d'etre seems to be to make as many people miss their train on a Monday morning.

amazon

TRAINS
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 08:49:37 PM »
Marple – Manchester: over 1200 extra seats

Northern Rail is increasing the number of seats on eleven peak time services which call at Marple, Romiley, Bredbury, Brinnington and Reddish North; most of these trains run to Strines and New Mills Central.

Six trains in the morning peak and five leaving Manchester in the afternoon and early evening will have extra seats.

Rose Hill – Manchester: over 440 extra seats

The number of seats on four peak time services which call at Rose Hill, Romiley, Woodley, Hyde Central, Hyde North, Guide Bridge and Fairfield will increase.

Three trains in the morning peak and one leaving Manchester in the afternoon will have extra seats.