Marple Community Forum & Noticeboard
October 31, 2014, 05:49:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Visit the Main Site

News: Banner Adverts on this site raise £1,000 for Skatepark Project

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  

Call High Lane Garage for a polite, fast response on low mileage cars

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: TRAINS  (Read 8095 times)
amazon

« on: December 14, 2011, 08:49:37 PM »

Marple – Manchester: over 1200 extra seats

Northern Rail is increasing the number of seats on eleven peak time services which call at Marple, Romiley, Bredbury, Brinnington and Reddish North; most of these trains run to Strines and New Mills Central.

Six trains in the morning peak and five leaving Manchester in the afternoon and early evening will have extra seats.

Rose Hill – Manchester: over 440 extra seats

The number of seats on four peak time services which call at Rose Hill, Romiley, Woodley, Hyde Central, Hyde North, Guide Bridge and Fairfield will increase.

Three trains in the morning peak and one leaving Manchester in the afternoon will have extra seats.

hollins

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »

That is very good news - where did you get the information? It would be nice to get a seat more than one day in three.

Marple has also got a spanking new ticket machine (on platform 2). However, to get to use the ticket machine you first have to get past the jobsworth who checks tickets at the door of the station - and to get past him you need a valid ticket! His sole raison d'etre seems to be to make as many people miss their train on a Monday morning.
sgk

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 10:24:54 PM »

That is very good news - where did you get the information?

http://www.northernrail.org/news/6947

Barbara

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:10:52 PM »

Extra seats very good - but why do we get all the cascaded trains that other regions have got rid of?
thebigshed

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:30:13 PM »

The extra seats are welcome but the trains are another regions cast offs.  Still, it beats playing sardines everyday.
Basementlife

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 09:05:22 AM »

The Northern Rail franchise runs out in September 2013.

And indeed more second hand stock...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-16136583

At least not this bad, yet !!

http://youtu.be/FJKbLvU5kQM
Dave

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 10:05:24 AM »

The extra seats are welcome but the trains are another regions cast offs.  Still, it beats playing sardines everyday.

Agreed.  Although what tends to happen is that as extra seats become available, more people use the trains.  This is good in a way, of course, because it is getting people off our congested roads, but the extra seats soon fill up, so there are still people left standing.  This is exactly what happened on the Transpennine routes when the nice (but noisy) class 185 units took over a few years ago.

And when are we going to get a decent service in the evenings and on Sundays?   Angry
ringi

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:00:18 PM »

Don’t expect any new trains for a long time, as there will be lots of 2nd hand trains from line that are converted to electric operations.

Does anyone know what times these 2nd hand trains will be used?  (I have never had a problem getting a seat at Rose Hill)
Dave

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 03:42:16 PM »

Don’t expect any new trains for a long time, as there will be lots of 2nd hand trains from line that are converted to electric operations.

Good point.  Although whatever comes our way in the future is unlikely to be as rubbish as the class 142s, which were already rubbish when they were brand new!   Roll Eyes
Barbara

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »

In reply to Ringi - I understood that the trains would not be extra ones in the timetable, just coupled up to existing ones.  I may be wrong - anyone know?
rsh

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 06:54:55 PM »

In reply to Ringi - I understood that the trains would not be extra ones in the timetable, just coupled up to existing ones.  I may be wrong - anyone know?

Yes, they're just doubling up certain trains. Of course, another poor design feature of the Class 142s is the lack of a gangway door at each end, making them particularly unsuitable for this. Roll Eyes

Where would one begin to push for a better Sunday or evening service? Local councillors, Stockport Council, Northern Rail, Transport for Greater Manchester? I don't feel like the council or councillors are really fighting for any improvements here at all.
admin
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 07:24:28 PM »

Where would one begin to push for a better Sunday or evening service? Local councillors, Stockport Council, Northern Rail, Transport for Greater Manchester? I don't feel like the council or councillors are really fighting for any improvements here at all.

I don't think that's very fair. I understand that Craig Wright has led the campaign for improvements to Rose Hill Station and the services running from it. He is also a key member of the Friends of Rose Hill Station:

www.marple-uk.com/forhs

Mark Whittaker

The Marple Website
amazon

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »

That is very good news - where did you get the information? It would be nice to get a seat more than one day in three.

Marple has also got a spanking new ticket machine (on platform 2). However, to get to use the ticket machine you first have to get past the jobsworth who checks tickets at the door of the station - and to get past him you need a valid ticket! His sole raison d'etre seems to be to make as many people miss their train on a Monday morning.

RAIL .CO  Sign up for daily news update from every were great sight .
rsh

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 05:55:42 PM »

I don't think that's very fair. I understand that Craig Wright has led the campaign for improvements to Rose Hill Station and the services running from it. He is also a key member of the Friends of Rose Hill Station:

Sorry quite right, Craig Wright and the Friends of Rose Hill Station have done great work in a short period of time. I don't envy anyone who has to campaign through our layers of bureaucracy for improvements to rail services. But while additional services to both stations are always quoted as an "aspiration", it would be good to see some form of a feasible plan or strategy.

As an example, the Atherton line on the other side of Manchester was given a "trial" hourly Sunday service in May 2010, funded by Transport for Greater Manchester. It has proved a success and will now apparently be written as a permanent requirement into the new Northern franchise agreement from 2013. There would seem to me to be an opportunity to run a similar trial for Sunday services from Marple or evening services to Rose Hill, allowing them to prove themselves before the new franchise agreement, and ensuring our lines don't miss the boat yet again on the possibility of improved service.
Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »

Good point about trying to get an improved Sunday service on a trial basis. Even an hourly service would be an improvement, and I'm sure it would be well used.

Re the so-called 'improvement' to the daytime Rose Hill service, we should remember that there has been no additional service to the Marple area - all that Craig Wright and the other councillors who claim credit achieved was the switching of one train per hour from Marple to Rose Hill (although they never mentioned that, of course   Roll Eyes).  And as Ringi wrote:
I have never had a problem getting a seat at Rose Hill.

...Rose Hill services are are lightly used compared with those from Marple, which has so much more car parking.  So was it really such a good idea??
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tweets by @marplewebsite