A gentle and effective approach to whole body health, to help reduce pain, improve mobility and promote healing

Author Topic: Politics apart  (Read 3768 times)

My login is Henrietta

Re: Politics apart
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 02:45:13 AM »
he didn't really wind me up, I have quite a thick skin, but I do get a bit fed up that I've always paid my way, never been a burden on the state (my parents are a different matter - I've been a massive burden on them!) and yet the government and my employers seem to be able to constantly squeeze more and more out of me. Over the last five years every bill I pay has gone up, including my pension (another 3% rise early next year) but my wages have gone down in real terms year on year and look like they will continue to. Having said that I still consider myself fortunate

Alison
Exactly. And when younger people are banging on about us silver foxes living on our ill-gotten gains, do they spare a thought for who actually paid for their health care and preventative medicine (eg vaccinations, dentistry, orthodontics, safe childbirth, etc.,), their "free" education, their child allowance, their parents' reduced tax responsibilities - shall I go on?

As a healthy spinster I have never:- taken paid maternity leave, spent more than three days in hospital in my entire life, had any chldren for the state to educate or claimed free childcare or taken free maternity bnefit,, I am not visiting my Doctor every 6 minutes, in fact the last time I went he commented that it was nearly ten years since he last saw me!

So how, exactly, am I sponging off the state when I draw my hard-earned and paid for pension? Do tell.

Oops, I forgot. I had an expensive state education. But then, I did spend that getting qualifications to enable me to educate your children so they could get into university and qualify for the sort of job gets you onto the "Toady" programme where they can whinge about me "stealing" their money.

alison

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 10:38:47 PM »
he didn't really wind me up, I have quite a thick skin, but I do get a bit fed up that I've always paid my way, never been a burden on the state (my parents are a different matter - I've been a massive burden on them!) and yet the government and my employers seem to be able to constantly squeeze more and more out of me. Over the last five years every bill I pay has gone up, including my pension (another 3% rise early next year) but my wages have gone down in real terms year on year and look like they will continue to. Having said that I still consider myself fortunate - I entered the jobs market at a time when there were jobs and training schemes and a chance of progression in your career - I'd hate to be a school leaver now.

Alison

Duke Fame

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 10:06:55 AM »
It's just Duke's way, alison - he doesn't really mean it, but he loves trying to wind people up.  :D

The language was harsh I admit. I don't begrudge anyone a great retirement if they have created a fantastic fund / sold on their successful business etc. We did see the maths behind last month's dispute over pensions where, however it's discribed, the longer someone is retired, if the state has to support a lifestyle, it's going to cost the taxpayer. Whilst we certainly need to get youngsters into work as early as possible, we can't expect the retirees to be retired for 30 years on say 50% salary  having only contributed in work for 30years contributing 6%.

Dave

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »
It's just Duke's way, alison - he doesn't really mean it, but he loves trying to wind people up.  :D

alison

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 08:50:34 AM »
I really object to the phrase 'scrounging off the state' to describe someone who wants to retire at a reasonable age and be in a fit state to enjoy their retirement. I have been working (flippin hard most of the time!) since I left school at 18 and paying into a pension for all that time. I have never claimed any benefits at all. With luck and a following wind, I will continue working up to when I retire, and I don't see why I shouldn't be able to retire when I still am able to enjoy life, and free up my job for someone else.

My point was really, if the jobs market keeps shrinking, and people are scared to move on / take risks, and cannot retire until later, what's going to happen to all the people who can't get jobs that want them. The longer people are out of work, the less likely it is they will return to employment, leading to more and more people 'scrounging off the state' which we can't afford.

Alison

Marple Business Forum

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 08:40:00 AM »
And maybe get rid of some of the onerous red tape that discourages small businesses?

Amen to that!

My login is Henrietta

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:27:25 AM »
Yup - people should retire at a sensible age (??65) so that more jobs were freed up for young people starting out.  Mind you, even in the dim and distant past when I started work some people were staying on well past their sell-by date.  
In the 1970s there was a suggestion from the top that teachers should be compulsorily retired at 50 to free up jobs for the students coming out of teacher training. There was an uproar at the very thought of this from the teachers I worked with. I can't imagine anyone getting worked up about being freed from the chalk face these days!

Duke Fame

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:37:32 PM »
Yup - people should retire at a sensible age (??65) so that more jobs were freed up for young people starting out.  Mind you, even in the dim and distant past when I started work some people were staying on well past their sell-by date. 

Can't agree with this, people need to work while they can, the economy can't support people retiring & scrounging off the state for half their life.

Bus passes should be ok for those who can't afford the bus fare but the state can't spoon feed everyone. We're not going to end up like Greece.

Barbara

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 10:43:54 PM »
Yup - people should retire at a sensible age (??65) so that more jobs were freed up for young people starting out.  Mind you, even in the dim and distant past when I started work some people were staying on well past their sell-by date. 

alison

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 09:19:51 PM »
Yes mother its good for you to stay active, I'll drop some more washing and mending round!  :D

I shouldn't imagine I'll be capable of getting around by the time I get to retire however! I'm very ignorant on politics, but I can't help feeling that we need to invest in jobs rather than constantly cutting them. And maybe get rid of some of the onerous red tape that discourages small businesses?

Alison

amazon

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:05:33 PM »
I am not really a very political animal, but I am an OAP who really appreciates the free bus travel, and also the winter fuel allowance (policies mooted by Nick Clegg).  Any party who voted for abolishing the free bus pass would automatically lose my vote and I have no idea at all who to vote for.  Apart from anything else I think that it encourages people to stay active and get about the country.  Which must cut down on health issues.  What does anyone else think?
                  Agree     with you there Barbra  .the busiest bus of the week is the one after nine thirty thats the first one for free fares , they call that the oaps bus 

Barbara

Politics apart
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:53:10 PM »
I am not really a very political animal, but I am an OAP who really appreciates the free bus travel, and also the winter fuel allowance (policies mooted by Nick Clegg).  Any party who voted for abolishing the free bus pass would automatically lose my vote and I have no idea at all who to vote for.  Apart from anything else I think that it encourages people to stay active and get about the country.  Which must cut down on health issues.  What does anyone else think?