Janine Kelly - Yoga teacher in Marple

Author Topic: An alternative view on Hibbert Lane Campus  (Read 24628 times)

Dave

Re: An alternative view on Hibbert Lane Campus
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2011, 10:39:40 PM »
'MARPLE is in such a state'. Is it? In what way?

Miss Marple

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:10 PM »
I've spoken to a number of my neighbours, and all of them are of the opinion that it would be good for Marple and they would use it. But not one of us would join a march, sign a petition, or anything else. All far too busy or CBA. Most often the latter.
Maybe the CBA attitude is why MARPLE is in such a state? It's about time the community became instrumental in front line changes which directly effect them. 

Harry

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2011, 06:35:22 PM »
I've spoken to a number of my neighbours, and all of them are of the opinion that it would be good for Marple and they would use it. But not one of us would join a march, sign a petition, or anything else. All far too busy or CBA. Most often the latter.

Dave

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2011, 05:29:24 PM »
No-one has suggested that, Steptoe, and it would be a ridiculous idea. The point that I and others have made is simply that we don't know what the majority opinion is, and the marches and demos don't make us any the wiser.

Steptoe and Son

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2011, 04:54:49 PM »
So because 800+ marched and thousands filled in a petition, there are automatically more people in favour of a supermarket on Hibbert Lane?  That's a neat way to counter the pretty fierce opposition to the proposed supermarket without actually providing any proof whatsoever.

Just to balance things out...most people I speak to are firmly opposed to a supermarket on Hibbert Lane

Henry_

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2011, 02:44:59 PM »
It clearly depends on what circles you move in, but certainly most people I speak to are in favour of a new supermarket on Hibbert Lane.

Also, I'd still doubt how effective a poll would be in gauging opinion as no doubt MIA would open a stall offering to fill people's surveys in for them.

Henry_

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2011, 02:31:37 PM »
I tend to agree that in the unlikely event of a pro-supermarket demo being arranged, there would probably be fewer people out on the street than there were at the anti march. But that only reflects the reality that on the whole, people demonstrate AGAINST things, not in support of them. Think Iraq war, fox hunting, student fees etc etc. If we want an accurate picture of pro and anti opinion, we need a proper survey.

I've been meaning to make this point for a while, thanks Dave.

It can be evidenced quite neatly by the situation with government spending cuts.

So . . . http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2011/mar/25/voters-cuts-coalition-poll

57% in favour of them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12864353

Quarter of a million people march against them

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13398966

350 people march in favour of them.

marpleexile

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2011, 01:59:55 PM »
I have heard gossip (no more than that) that people are being called by marketing companies who are asking if they would use a new supermarket if one were to come to Marple. The question is whether they would "use" one, not whether they "want" one. It's not hard to reason that this research is being undertaken on behalf of a supermarket giant and will be used to counter the message from the "no" campaign.

That's part of the problem with this issue though, isn't it. I strongly suspect that there is a big difference between the number of people who are against having a supermarket in Marple, and the number of people who, should one be built, would refuse to use it (which is only natural).

Dave

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
I tend to agree that in the unlikely event of a pro-supermarket demo being arranged, there would probably be fewer people out on the street than there were at the anti march. But that only reflects the reality that on the whole, people demonstrate AGAINST things, not in support of them. Think Iraq war, fox hunting, student fees etc etc. If we want an accurate picture of pro and anti opinion, we need a proper survey.

Howard

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2011, 02:50:58 PM »
This issue is one which might usefully be investigated more systematically.  At the moment, AFAIK, there is no reliable evidence for what the majority view is, one way or another.  Maybe some local body which has funds (Marple Business Forum?) might be interested in commissioning a proper survey from a reputable research organisation? 

There's no statistical evidence that I know of. However, I think that there are probably many more people who actively don't want a supermarket than those who actively do. At least when the "no" march happened I was quite surprised at the numbers of people who turned out. I guessed it was close on a thousand people who participated although I seem to remember that the estimate was around 850. I imagine that if someone tried to organise a march for those people who wanted a supermarket as badly as those who marched against it there would be nowhere near as many.

I have heard gossip (no more than that) that people are being called by marketing companies who are asking if they would use a new supermarket if one were to come to Marple. The question is whether they would "use" one, not whether they "want" one. It's not hard to reason that this research is being undertaken on behalf of a supermarket giant and will be used to counter the message from the "no" campaign.

Dave

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »
I've read the letter too.  It was a bit disingenuous of dusty to avoid mentioning that her partner is a councillor, but apart from that she was commendably open about her own business interests.   It's hard to see what all the fuss is about, and there's certainly nothing 'political' about her post. 

Meanwhile, there is an interesting debate here between dusty, who says 'I would not be surprised if there were just as many people who support a supermarket as there are who came out to march against it', and Miss M, who writes 
..we may be able to enlighten you on the very strong opposition to a supermarket on the Hibbert Lane site.... come to the MIA stall next week and hear first hand how strong the opposition is to a supermarket development is on the campus.  Where on earth you have got information that there is not such strong opposition is also quite alarming ...

This issue is one which might usefully be investigated more systematically.  At the moment, AFAIK, there is no reliable evidence for what the majority view is, one way or another.  Maybe some local body which has funds (Marple Business Forum?) might be interested in commissioning a proper survey from a reputable research organisation? 

bat man

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 12:18:36 PM »
Thanks Admin I have now read the letter,it would seem whatever is built on the college land will upset someone.... :(

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 04:53:38 PM »
Harry's right, I should have said you need some software that will open a Word Doc, not necessarily MS Word. However, you don't now as I've converted the letter to a pdf and attached it to the original post.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website

Harry

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
Actually, MS Word is not required.

Go to http://www.openoffice.org/ and download OpenOffice. It has all the functionality of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) but it is free software. Its also available for Apple Macs and Linux as well as Windows.

admin

• Administrator
    • The Marple Website
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:44:29 PM »
I cant open this thread,any ideas?? :(

What do you mean? If you mean you can't open the letter attached to the first post - it is a Word document attached by the originator. You need to have MS Word on your PC to open it.
Mark Whittaker
The Marple Website